• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here and nervous

XxrobzyxX

Hi! I'm new and just wanted to say hi and ask some advice.
I'm currently going through the addenbrookes obesity clinic tier 3 and have been told that I've been put through for the 6months intensive weight management programme which I should be starting in October. I'm terrified and don't know what to expect. I was told ages ago that because of my bmi (60) that I might get put through for surgery before the 6months is up. I'm so desperate for the surgery as I'm always in pain because of my weight. I'm only 26 and have two small kids and I'm terrified I'm going to die because of my weight.
Has anyone done this programme? What should I expect? Is there a possibility of being approved early? Sorry to be a pain.

XxrobzyxX

Hannah2

Hi, Welcome to the site.

I don't know the specific centre, but my understanding was that the NICE guidelines were that if your BMI was over 50, then you were eligible to be referred direct for WLS, without having to do tier 3.

However, how each area implements this differs. Even when you are referred direct for surgery there can still be a wait of 12 months or more.

Do you have any contact details for the people running the tier 3 that you could ask regarding this?

countrywench

I didn't the NHS route so I'm not going to be much help with that I afraid Robzy ..
But a huge welcome to the forum where you have nothing to be nervous or afraid of ..
Remember each and every one of us has been in your shoes and we know better than anyone around you how it feels on a daily basis to cope with hauling around a huge amount of weight ..
My BMI was 55 when I started so I know how you feel .. Although I am am 53 and have been hauling this weight about for over 30 years .. It's taken a massive toll on my knees and bones in general .
You've absolutely done the right thing by making this step in your life while your still very young and before the weight takes a perminant toll on your health .. Well done for being so brave as to walk in and ask for help ..
We all know how embarrassing and hurtful it can be to actually walk into a room of strangers and ask for help ..
Your well on your way now to getting the help you need ..
When it comes to nerves I suggest you sit and write a letter to yourself , a few people on here have done this and I think it's a brilliant idea .. A letter that holds nothing back and get truly gets down to the nitty gritty of why you need to lose weight ..
Health , walking , clothes , eating out in public , sitting in chairs that won't support weight , sex life , social life , everything you hate about your weight .. Then when your nervous sit and read it .. You have 2 choices , stay the way you are and get bigger bigger or take the offer and live your life happy ..
I had to pay unfortunately but I would pay it all again . I've dropped over 5 stones now since April .. Everything has changed about me , everything .. Body , mind and soul .. I've still another 6 stones to go probably until I'm happy ( a size 16 I think ) but for once in my life I have hope , and hope is everything to an overweight person ..
We will all be here to give advice , help , and encouragement along your journey .
Begin a diary on here as soon as you can . I started the day I began the LSD diet .. It helps to put everything down in writing. Stuff you cannot share with the people around you ..
Lift your head high and keep your sights on where your heading and do not look back , that old life is nearly over ..
Mindy
Xxxxx

Hannah2

You have 2 choices , stay the way you are and get bigger bigger or take the offer and live your life happy ..

OMG Mindy! I am going to have that on a big sign at home ready for Thursday as I am sure I am going to have wobbles and you have summed it up in that one phrase!

countrywench

Hahahaha Hannah ! Isn't it the truth though .. I think that's why I wasn't even phased buy my op .. I actually thought to myself .. If I die on the table at least I havnt dies an awful drawn out death due to obesity , it was my leap of faith , I knew I'd be ok and I knew this was my only chance at being happy .. Bottom line ..
You'll be fine Hannah ..
Xxxx

FeeBee

@countrywench sums it up very well. I'm one with a letter I wrote at the start detailing why I made the choice to have surgery and I've also kept a diary since I got my surgery date which is a very valuable tool to look back on.
WLS isn't the easy cheat some people think it is. You have courage and commitment to walk this path so be proud of yourself :) we all support each other here and although it's hard to answer some questions because everywhere and every journey is different we all know how it feels x

los in it

Warm hello to you!

Sunshine99

Welcome & the best of luck on your journy :rainbow: