• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here and scared.

Emma Louise

Hello everyone!
Just though i would introduce myself and tell you a bit about me as you all seem such nice people and can maybe offer me some advice!

Well... My names Emma, I'm 21, 385lb, about 5ft 10 and have just been referred for weight loss surgery (well, ive been told by my doctor that she is sending me to have a chat to the surgeon who would potentially operate on me).

I am terrified though.

About when i was 10/11 my mum had a gastric bypass and it went horribly wrong, the punctured her stomach and her bowel and she almost died. When i went to see her in the hospital when it happened, i was horrified and thus began my comfort eating. It made me feel so much better and it was so easy to get hold of. So from then on whenever i would feel down or upset i would eat. Mainly sweet things really.

I've been at uni for the past couple of years (just about to go into my third year now :) ) But even that has been a challenge the way i am, i cant fit into chairs easy if they have arms on and it is a speciality in sports subjects so I'm usually looked upon with laughter.

I dont normally care though, i dress smartly and usually feel confident when i am out and about.

My mum is still not 100% from her operation going wrong and has been trying to convince me for the past 2 years to consider it, but because of what happened to her i have said no because i was scared of the same thing happening to me. I'm only 21, i want to be a teacher, i want to have a family, i have everything to live for.

Then i had a light bulb moment, something just clicked in my head, the way i am going at the moment i am going to be dead in a few years or have developed some condition that will stop me from doing the things in life that i want and need to do. So i went to the doctor, with my lovely mum in tow to see about weight loss surgery, and after a few mins of me talking about how crappy my life quality is at the moment the doctor said "well Emma, i think you are the perfect candidate for weight loss surgery. I will refer you to a surgeon in Taunton who will be able to explain it all better than i can"

And that was last Thursday, so i am now just waiting to here for my appoinment. I was still nervous about the opp. as i had only my mum's experience to go on. But reading some of the inspirational, and truely lovely stories on here (i've forgotten the names of whoes i read but i thinks two people with "phat" in their names i read and a few others) has made me realise that this is going to change my life.

I cannot wait to be able to walk around the shops without pain, to be able to wear clothes that dont cling, to not be worried if i can fit in chairs, etc.

Sorry for the looooooong post (and that is just a toe's dip into my story!) and the bad spelling/typing!! I'm nervous!!

So thank you everyone, and i hope i am wellcome to join you!! :D

Welcome Emma Louise. This is a lovely and supportive site (one of the most genuine I have ever come across on the Net) and everybody is really supportive and just genuinely nice.

I only found here a week or so ago and I have learnt sooooo much already. Brilliant!

Good look with your WLS journey

love

TillyBob

Hiya

:welcome2:

I am relatively new too, and I am sure you will find this place very supportive and informative.

Looking forward to getting to know you and good luck with your journey

Rx

HI Emma

Welcome to Mini's where you will find a lot of support from very like minded people... We are all at different stages of our journeys and usually if there is a question you want answered someone will soon be along to answer.

It sounds to me like you have fantastic support already in your Mother...Tell your Mum she is welcome to come here too if she needs some extra reassurance about you and also about herself too.

Really nice to meet you Emma Louise...I look forward to reading your posts soon.

(((hugs)))

Hiya Emma,
Just wanted to welcome you to minis,
You have come to the right place for help and advice, Everyone here is so supportive and friendly.
I had the Bypass 8 months ago and my life has changed so much for the better, Its the best thing i have ever done.
If you need to know anything just shout out, I will be more than happy to help out if i can.
Wishing you all the very best on your weightloss journey.

hi emma and welcom to minnis the people on here are great,so freindly and suportive,since ive been coming on ive have learned so much about bypasses and so many tips on wat to eat after surgery its made me so much more confident about having my op. and dont forget if your having a bad day and just want to let off steam you can do it here lol. i hope your wate is a short one and im sure you will be fine............kath xx

Hi Emma and Welcome,

Good luck with your weight loss journey. You have found the right place for support. Ask all the questions you can think of and someone here will have the answer.

WLS has moved on a lot in 10 years and I'm sorry to hear of your mums complications. Is she OK now? It's important to be aware of the risks, but also important to realise that the risks are smaller than carrying on as a morbidly obese person.

Good luck with year 3 at uni. Look forward to getting to know you xx

Hello Emma-Louise, Welcome to this wonderful forum where you will find all the help & support you need, I had a band fitted 2 week's ago and already feel like a different person just knowing my goals are reachable & i'm 50........So for you it's a must - you have your whole life ahead of you, Try not to worry everything will turn out fine for you ;);)

Welcome to mini's Emma - you will find it a mine of information & support. I don't regret my surgery one iota!

Hi Emma and welcome to Mini's :welcome:

Everyone is lovely on here and there will always be someone to answer any questions you might have

Kate x

Hi Emma Louise
First of all welcome to minis, as everyone has said it is a great site to be part of, everyone is lovely and there is always someone who will come along and answer your questions. I'm really sorry your mum suffered complications and hope she is doing ok now. As others have said surgery has moved on in the last ten years, i only had my bypass two weeks ago and i can honestly say i had no pain at all and am back driving and getting out and about. I knew like you i had to do this ( i'm 48) and faced serious health problems if i carried on the way i was going before surgery. It's natural to feel scared and in your case very understandable, but it sounds as if you have a wonderful supportive mum who despite her complications thiks this is the best option for you. Please come on here anytime and ask as many questions as you like we will be here to help wishing you good luck with your journey xx

Hi Young un welcome to Minis xxx

Your fear is completely understandable huni and I wish your mum well.

WLS has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, and whilst there are risks associated with any procedure your team will assess your case and only go ahead if the benefits outweigh the risks.

I was given a choice Emma, if I wanted to be alive ten years from now the operation was my only option. I think I made the right choice. A difficult one to make but the best one for me.

Good luck with your journey. There are some great guys and gals here who will help you on your road babycakes xxx

Hi Emma

Welcome to minimins. It's a wonderful place to be with great supportive people and brilliant inspirational sotries to read.

It's only natural you're a bit scared, you wouldn't be human otherwise, witnessing such an event in your life.

Medical procedures move on and yes, there is still a small risk involved, but then I drive every day, and I risk my life there!

Come to your own decisions, but the benefits are phenomenal, just like the other members here!

welcome Emma to minis, you are int he right place for that extra support :D

thanks for sharing your story so far with us. I wiah you all the best luck on your journey. Hope your mum is healing and listen to what she has to say, there is no way your mum would let you go through something like this if she didnt believe that it was right for you, especially after her having such a hard time of it.
Good luck and keep us updated how you get on at your appointment.:D

Oh gosh.

I am actually speechless, you are all so lovely. :) Ive never met such supportive people and your kind comments actually have me in tears. But in a good way :D

For those of you who asked, my mum is stil experiencing problems from her operation, if she does too much in a day or bends too much she has terrible stomach pains that sometimes last all night (i stay up with her to make sure she is ok). But most of the time she is fine and she deffinatly wants me to have the operation. Shes a lovely woman and it wasnt until she said to me "Emma if i thought you were going to die during the operation i wouldnt want you to have it". She says if she had the opportunity to have it again she would, but the doctors wont open her up again for fear of what might happen. Shes had a LOT of surgery from this.

Now that i've made my mind up to have the bypass i want it now!! lol, i guess thats just me being impatient.

I will let you all know when i get my first appointment and how it goes!! eeeeeeek!!! :D

Welcome to Minis Emma and I really think you have made the right decision, you will have a fantastic life after the op cause your only 21 and you won't believe the difference it will make, well let us know and good luck with you appointment xxxx

Hello Emma.

You have definately come to the right place. My journey was made so much easier by the wonderful people here and also the fantastic information that can't be found anywhere else.

Your mum sounds like a lovely person and its nice to know she is encouraging you, even though she has had a rough time in the past herself.

It would also be nice if you could encourage her to share her experience with us all her (and how much weight has she lost?)..lol

Welcome to Mini's.

XXX

Back