• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scared About Docs

im a bander not a bypasser but ify had been around when i was 18 i would have had one in a shot would have saved years of problems, i personally wouldnt have had the bypass that younge i couldnt face it at 36 let alone half tha age but thats just me go with what you feel is right

Your 36 Serenity - no way dont believe that !- you dont look a day over 25 ;)

Welcome to mini's chick.

My confidence issues sound just like yours.

This forum is lovely to have access too everyone on here's a star.

Hi Pinky, I've been thinking a lot about your situation and how it relates to my own. I'm having a gastric band on 22nd and as I've said before, I'm 40 years old. Although I can't give you any advice as such, I think that if such a thing as gastric bands had been invented way back in the '80's I would have seriously considered it. YoYo dieting has helped me become so large and if you are already suffering the effects of YoYo dieting (like you, I dieted for a long time as a teenager - despite the fact I was a normal weight then I just thought I was fat because of all the skinny teens around me); if you are already suffering from painful joints; and you feel so very unhappy about your weight - including the reaction of others, if I were in your shoes I would want to take action.

I too am looking forward to shopping in ordinary shops - like River Island etc! Imagine the choice!

Good luck! Love from Jenni x:)

Pinky, You sound just like me when i was ur age, I'm 32 and have just had a gastric bypass and yes, i wish i'd had it years ago but in the same way, I'm glad i didn't because it is a massive mental as well as physical change.

Silversurfer is just pointing out that we are here to support you. The support on this site is amazing but we are all also here for other peoples advice and opinions to give us a wider view.

If the surgery is what you want then i have everything crossed for you, I was denied funding by the NHS even though I met the NICE criteria, so you are over the age to qualify for the surgery but i would prepare yourself for the PCT sending you down the longer route before they make a decision. They may suggest that you go on a six month weight management course.

Whichever way it goes for you, we're all here for you, ask any questions that pop-up and we can try to help with information and send those all importnat hugs if you need them

Good luck hon and welcome to minis x x x

Hi Pinky
When i read your post my first thought was that 18 was too young to consider something so drastic, but then i reflected back on my own life and started to think differently.
I became overweight aged 7 and have dieted on and off since then, with only ever a marginal and temporary success.
I have led a very full life and my confidence was always bouyed to an extent by the support of those around me. As a result i led the carefree teen / early adult years that my thin friends did and enjoyed clubbing and Magaluf holidays etc, however i know that i would have had much more fun if i had been thinner as i was always anxious about my appearance.
Its only in my thirties that i have explored medications and surgery (i am hoping for a bypass) and my biggest regret is that i didn't do this earlier. When i was your age i always thought that the diet thing would work for me eventually - i never dreamed i would get as big as i did (bit naive !!) So on reflection, if i could go back in time and someone offered me this aged 18 i would jump at the chance !
Your GP / consultant and You are the only ones who can rule out any other options and say for sure if this is the right time for you. Its good that you know someone who is going through the surgery process, so you will be very well informed !!
Good luck x x

Hiya pinky, reading your story made me think again about how my weight has affected me over the years and I must say if I'd had the opportunity at 18 to "get sorted" and live the rest of my life healthy and happy I would have gone for it. Have you considered a gastric band instead of bypass???? I think this being a little less invasive may help with the decision with you being so young. Good luck sweetheart in what ever you decide and remember we are all here for you. Take care xxxGaynorxxx

If only and with hindsight i would of been battering down the surgeons door at 18 if i had known about WLS. Good luck with yr appointment you sound as if you know what you want.
hc

Back