• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New meds = hunger

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
I started on some new antidepressants on tues, and they are well known for causing an increase in appetite and weight gain. But since id had the op, and im really poorly with my depression, i persuaded my psych to give me them.

Since thurs or so, ive been able to eat more at meal times then i used to be able to, and im getting hungry between meals.

Ive had a slow 2 weeks with my weight loss, and now in a panic that this is gonna slwo it down further.
I probably am eating more at meal times (but still just a tea plate size) and if im hungry inbetween meals then ive had a piece of fruit. Probably one extra piece a day.
Will i be ok?

Today ive eaten:
B: 1.5weetabix (1 used to fill me b4)
L: turkey, 2 potatoes, 5 carrots, and small piece of broccoli, and a plum. (i did try a tiny piece of cheesecake but brought it back, greedy as per :rolleyes:)
T: 2 findus pancakes (quite low fat u know!) and half tin beans.

And i may have some snack a jacks later or a piece of fruit.

Does that seem a lot? :confused:

That doesnt look a lot to me. If you feel it is perhaps have the fruit instead of the snack a jacks later

Thanks margaret, the new med im on is mirtazapine, and that helps me sleep. Im zonked within half an hour of taking it.

As for the pop, tbh, thats what i should do. But it is a craving to eat, and to feel full - like b4 the op.
I just want to make the most of the op. And i think ive done well so far at 6st 6lb weight loss, but still got another 6 to lose at least!

I suppose i just want someone to say yeah ur eating fine, but if im not then id rather be told too.
I try not to eat anything higher than 5g of fat per meal. Do u think ill continue to lose weight at a good pace?

That doesnt look a lot to me. If you feel it is perhaps have the fruit instead of the snack a jacks later

Thank u hun!! so glad u said that. I prob will have the fruit later.

I usually just have fruit for lunch, so then i dont mind having snak a jacks later, but today i had sunday lunch, so will have a banana later.

You just made me feel loads better! thanks! x

could u write what u eat in a typical day for me hun? x

Can you eat porridge because that would fill you up . I`v never liked it but I`ll have to start after the surgery . I hope someone can come along and help you . But Teen said your not doing to bad .
Margaret xx

LOL i got told off from the dietician for eating too big a bowl of porridge! Though i think it was an ok amount, i just described it as a large bowl for me now! lol
I might go back to it, if it keeps me filled up for longer. Thanks hun x

Hi Fed up

I just wanted to say...Well done on losing 6.6 stone since April...that's amazing...keep up the good work.

Back to your original question of the anti-depressants making you gain weight!

Those side affects are listed as possibilities affecting some people...After your operation there is no way you could gain a significant amount of weight to worry about.

You are obviously doing something very very right to have lost what you have so far....well done

(((hugs)))

Thanks margaret, the new med im on is mirtazapine, and that helps me sleep. Im zonked within half an hour of taking it.

As for the pop, tbh, thats what i should do. But it is a craving to eat, and to feel full - like b4 the op.
I just want to make the most of the op. And i think ive done well so far at 6st 6lb weight loss, but still got another 6 to lose at least!

I suppose i just want someone to say yeah ur eating fine, but if im not then id rather be told too.
I try not to eat anything higher than 5g of fat per meal. Do u think ill continue to lose weight at a good pace?

Sadly increase in appetite is one of the side-affect. My daughter started them just over a week ago and has noticed a difference. She's not had wls but has resisted over eating even though hungry. She gets bad moad leading up to a meals and can't stay around while I'm cooking.

Sadly increase in appetite is one of the side-affect. My daughter started them just over a week ago and has noticed a difference. She's not had wls but has resisted over eating even though hungry. She gets bad moad leading up to a meals and can't stay around while I'm cooking.

Yeah i noticed the increased appetite within a day. I hope ur daughter manages to keep on resisting the temptations, cos its so easy to give in.

Yeah i noticed the increased appetite within a day. I hope ur daughter manages to keep on resisting the temptations, cos its so easy to give in.

I think she has only managed to resist due to feeling almost constantly sick (not due to tablets). She has also got twitch in her arm since starting the tablets.

Hi Fedup, my husband is on Mirtazapine and he has found that he is most hungry after he has taken them (like the munchies really). I am trying to encourage him to take a yoghurt up to bed and leave it on the bedside table so he has something to eat (this is what I do with all my meds).
The side effects will settle down - with psych meds it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for mild side effects to settle ( this is my experience).
Hope it all works out x

Back