• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to all of this

kellyhymas

Hello. I had my first appointment a few months back which was a seminar at Sunderland hospital. I had had my second appointment with the nurses at the hospital where i was weighed and talked about my eating habits. sleeve or bypass is what was decided. I have to loose a stone before next appointment as i had put on between the seminar weigh in and this appointment. How long usually do you wait between that and my next appointment. i have read lots of different things on here. But a friend of mine went to a seminar 3 weeks ago. and is having her surgery next week and is on the pre op diet now. so in a matter of 5 weeks from gp to op at Darlington hospital which has just started bariatric as i read from the net how fast is that!

i am struggling to loose the weight am eating really well and started gym and swimming but its not coming of! I understand i need it off to be put on waiting list. but i am really struggling.

Would really love to chat to people who have had the sleeve done who can tell me more about what happens before, after, time it takes, things you need to get done before hand etc. thanks x my name is kelly and i am 30 years old with two boys aged 10 and 8 x

Hi Kelly. I had my appointment with the dietician/nurse at SRH September 2010 and my next appointment was with Mr. Mahawar in July. I was only with him 5 mins where he put me on the list for endoscopy. I had that done September 27th and am now on the list for my bypass surgery. Things are moving along quicker now, but 5 weeks is a miracle!
Good luck.

good luck kelly :) xxx

Yeah she only went to a seminar two weeks ago on a tuesday got a phone call the tuesday after and started her pre op diet ready for her op next week. i think she still in shock too lol but i just have loads of questions and worries and just thoughts lol but i need to shift this weight. am prob looking at feb for next appointment and then waiting list after that. feels like it is a really long journey x

wow 5 weeks, even private patients in this neck of the woods wait longer than that lol. good luck kelly. cut out the carbs to lose weight quickly x

wow 5 weeks, even private patients in this neck of the woods wait longer than that lol. good luck kelly. cut out the carbs to lose weight quickly x

Not sure they have done her a favour though. Does anyone think 5 weeks is enough to get your head round it all. Good luck, Kelly, doesn't sound like you will be too long xxx :):)

Hi Kelly,
welcome to the site, could be that some on here may consider a hospital change as Darlo would be a lot closer, have you considered it ?

Good luck hun x

Hi,

I had my sleeve op only yesterday, I'm already home now and feeling really well, no pain etc.
I have booked 2 weeks of work but will let you know if I go back sooner.
Just ask away if you want to know anything.xx

Relax chick! Well done x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hey Jen. what happened from start to finish sorry for being nosey. i went to my second appointment in sept got to loose stone before next appointment. so what happens then? what kind of things happen between now and op? so you were just in and out 0f hospital? one day stay? i work in a tea room part time but not entitled to any sick pay type of thing cos i dont pay tax or nat insurance with only being part time. I am swaying towards the sleeve op. what can you eat as of now? etc would love to know as much as possible. thank you x

I know it was very quick she seems really nervous but i am sure she will be fine. i did think about asking to go to Darlington instead but i need to loose the target weight first. I wouldnt know how to change over anyway and i dont want to delay things. maybe those that are on sunderland list may change to darlington leaving sunderland more free spaces. who knows.

So carbs is a thing to stay clear of? cos i seem to be eating loads of jacket potatoes all the time i have run out of things to have lol.

yesturday i had scrambled egg on toast with 2 quorn sausages for breaky. lunch was jacket and jacket and cheese and tea was curry and rice home made.

breakfast today was porridge and lunch is jacket again lol i just dont know what to have? i tried slimming world and it worked but i felt like i was eating and eating loads and it was not really helping with portion size when i could eat as much as of certain foods. i dont really eat pasta dishes or fish etc so i struggle a bit. if someone told me what to eat each day i would plan it and do it. as long as i liked it lol. x

I've lost 49lbs in 19 weeks and this is a typical day for me:
Breakfast
bran flakes with sliced banana and skimmed milk
Lunch
bowl of salad with tomato, beetroot and ham/tuna. low fat mayo
Tea
stir fry veg with turkey
I have a large glass of water before each meal, sometimes bread with salad at lunchtime, but only 1 slice per day. If I feel hungry in between, I have a piece of fruit.
Some handy tips:
Clean your teeth when you're fancying something sweet. Spicy food speeds up the metabolism, as does water, black coffee and green tea.
Make extra trips up the stairs throughout the day. Never eat standing up or you won't feel full as quick. Don't beat yourself up if you slip, just get back on track at the very next meal and eat less calories at that meal. Don't have empty calories in your drinks. Water is the best!
Good luck.

Hi Kelly. I had my appointment with the dietician/nurse at SRH August 2010 and my next appointment was with Mr. Mahawar in July. He put me on the list for endoscopy. I had that done August 4th and am now on the list for my bypass surgery. 5 weeks seems quick for your friend though xx

well my mate is there on 20th october for gastric band. so they have started them lol cos she is defo going in then and at darlington hospital too. lol

Back