• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbe seeking advice

mini~mimms

hi everyone im new on the wls forums and wanted to no your experiances from seeing your gp to surgery i went to see my gp yesterday and told her i would like to have the gastric band she asked me if i wanted xenical again ! noooo thank you she said she`ll write to the hospital but dont no how long an appointment will take she did say they might put me on a liquid diet to see if i can lose weight rather than banding has anyone else been told this ? i will be under luton and dunstable hospital so if theres anyone here who goes there would love to no your experices there also xx

I think some GPs do not like the surgery option you just need to tell them what you want and don't back down. I had to be very assertive during my pre op experience. Just know what is best for you.

Hi there, louisa is doing her 4 week milk diet at the moment and she is also under L&D. I think it must be like a trial run of the actual pre op diet to see whether you can cope with it. There are lots of people on here from L&D who will help you out. Good luck x

thanks both of you i just hate waiting doctor seemed to think it can take a couple of months to get an appointment im so desperate to get started !! xx

Hi

I was xenical back in 2008 and had to see a dietician etc before I was refereed to the hospital, my gp is lovely and he is the one that suggested surgery.

The liquid diet is done to ensure your body can cope with a liquid diet as you have to do it pre op for 2 weeks to shrink the liver, also they do it to see how committed you are to surgery, if you cant manage the liquid diet then they will refuse you the op.

It maybe for longer than 4 weeks to they allow you 9 weeks to lose 5% of your weight, I achieved this is 3.5 weeks but had to wait 5 weeks as they didnt have an appointment at 4 weeks.

I wish you well in your journey

Last edited:
Hi there, I seen My G.P March 2009 and didnt hear any thing from any one until Sept 2010, it dont mean you will wait that long, but be prepared.

thank you debbie for your reply i have done lighter life b4 so i should manage the liquid diet ( fingers crossed ) ! did u have to wait long from when your g.p refured you to your first appointment ? and did they offer any other type of diet b4 surgery ? also i just noticed you`ve had your op !! hope ur feeling ok and everything went well congrates !!

omg pauline 18 months !!! thats awful !

Hi

Thanks I am on the mend now ;) I cant remember how long it took, but to be honest I didnt want surgery it was my gp that kept suggesting it so I wasnt too worried about how long it took!

I am sure it was quite a few months but I had to go down the road or orlistat and dieticians then the pct had to agree to funding then I was referred.

I suppose thinking about it, it has taken about 3 years from the start, but like I said earlier I wasnt pushing them!

Good luck and I hope you get your appointment soon

so glad your on the mend thats the worst part over with now u can enjoy the weight coming off permanently i`ve done orlistat b4 a couple of times first time i lost 5 stone but managed to gain it back and more a few years later i tried it again and only lost a couple of pounds then i done lighter life that worked but could`nt afford to keep it up so again i put on pluss more im looking forward to seeing the dieticians i just fed up wiv yo yo dieting which is makeing bigger and bigger ! x

Back