• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Birmingham

Lisa876

Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new lurker in Birmingham awaiting bypass surgery. I've learnt so much reading your posts and admire the sense of community.

I'm booked in at Heartlands but have been waiting on a date since early December... so nerve wracking :-/

Anyone else from Birmingham and/or have had/awaiting surgery at Heartlands?

Yup - I saw Mr Singhal in December and I am waiting for a date for a sleeve. I have also just been diagnosed with sleep apnoea, so I hope that doesn't delay things at all.

Hi Penelope,
I saw Mr Singhal in December as well. At the time, he said he was fully booked until March so I should expect a surgery date of around April/May. I was again told the same thing when I rang Bariatrics in early Feb to get my blood results, but when I rang again a couple weeks ago (again to chase said blood results) I was told I'm looking at the end of the year! I felt so deflated! Though to be fair, other things said on the call didn't tally and the person didn't seem to have a clue... She said she'd have Mr Singhal or his secretary contact me, but weeks on and nothing... Will be calling again tomorrow as apparently "the coordinator who handles these queries wasn't available this afternoon".
I think sleep apnoea is considered a co-morbidite, don't know if it would delay your surgery though. Did you ask whoever did the test? I hope it won't delay what is already such a tedious journey!

Hi hunni I now live in Birmingham I self funded so went to BUPA Solihull 28 months post bypass 12.5st down :) I live in Quinton

Not to the end of the year!!!! I've already been working my way through the system since August 2014. They lost my initial referral, and then didn't refer me to the dietician until I had been going there 6 months - even though I asked on the first appointment. My diagnosis of sleep apnoea is at another hospital and the consultant said they would want me to be stable on the equipment before they would operate. Having said that I haven't even seen the technicians to be fitted yet! Sometimes I despair of ever getting anywhere.

Chin up huni it will happen :) (eventually) I know the waiting is a pain but it's all worth it in the end, best of luck with it all Xx

Hi im from tipton an my op will be at walsall manor. Im also waiting on a date and have been told to expect op end of april/early may. Maybe we can be op buddys. Im having the sleeve and will be doing the milk pre op diet for 3 weeks. I think i will only get about 4 weeks notice b4 op. Was referred last may had first appointment at hospital in september so will bout 8 months total. I didnt have to do tier 3 so was lucky.

Kirsty xx

Hi hunni I now live in Birmingham I self funded so went to BUPA Solihull 28 months post bypass 12.5st down :) I live in Quinton

Hi Butterfly,
Wow, congrats! You look fabulous! i wish I could fund privately as I wouldn't have to deal with the uncertainty and long waits but a business that went belly up has dried up all my resources and killed my credit rating:sigh::(
We're not that far away, I'm by Bearwood :)

Not to the end of the year!!!! I've already been working my way through the system since August 2014. They lost my initial referral, and then didn't refer me to the dietician until I had been going there 6 months - even though I asked on the first appointment. My diagnosis of sleep apnoea is at another hospital and the consultant said they would want me to be stable on the equipment before they would operate. Having said that I haven't even seen the technicians to be fitted yet! Sometimes I despair of ever getting anywhere.

Oh dear! I've noticed alot of persons having sleep apnoea testing pre-op, is this standard? I don't recall any mention of it in my case... I know what you mean about the despair. Let's hope things get sorted soon. So frustrating!

Update: I just spoke to Mr Singhal's assistant who said all the April/May cases have been pushed back to June/July due to an influx of cancer patients requiring priority attention. Apparently I was going to be given an April date but now looking at mid to end of June... So if the same applies to you, hopefully that will allow enough time to sort your SA issue, without delaying your surgery...

Last edited:
Chin up huni it will happen :) (eventually) I know the waiting is a pain but it's all worth it in the end, best of luck with it all Xx

Thank you Lollyowen, I hope so!:)

Hi im from tipton an my op will be at walsall manor. Im also waiting on a date and have been told to expect op end of april/early may. Maybe we can be op buddys. Im having the sleeve and will be doing the milk pre op diet for 3 weeks. I think i will only get about 4 weeks notice b4 op. Was referred last may had first appointment at hospital in september so will bout 8 months total. I didnt have to do tier 3 so was lucky.

Kirsty xx

Hi Kirsty,
You're not far away either! Yes an op buddy would be lovely.
I'll have to do pre-op diet for 4 weeks so was told i should have about 6 weeks notice. I'm lactose intolerant so think I'll perhaps do the 'real food diet'. It feels like I've been waiting sooooo long as though the referral was only made in August, I'd been with the Metabolic Assessment unit for 3 years simply to try all other avenues before surgery so I just want things to happen NOW lol.

Hi Butterfly,
Wow, congrats! You look fabulous! i wish I could fund privately as I wouldn't have to deal with the uncertainty and long waits but a business that went belly up has dried up all my resources and killed my credit rating:sigh::(
We're not that far away, I'm by Bearwood :)

Oh yes very close, if you ever have any questions I can help with please ask hunni xxx

Hi Kirsty,
You're not far away either! Yes an op buddy would be lovely.
I'll have to do pre-op diet for 4 weeks so was told i should have about 6 weeks notice. I'm lactose intolerant so think I'll perhaps do the 'real food diet'. It feels like I've been waiting sooooo long as though the referral was only made in August, I'd been with the Metabolic Assessment unit for 3 years simply to try all other avenues before surgery so I just want things to happen NOW lol.

3 years thats long no wonder u jus want it all done with now. Im hoping they call this week to tell me my date. Need to know when its gna b so i can start to prepare an the hubby needs to book a week off work as we have 3 young kids so he will need to look after them and take over on the school run as i wont b able to drive. Its also my daughters 5th bday the 26th april so want to plan a little party for her. Im gna go to miller an carter wolvo b4 i start milk diet for my last meal iv always wanted to go. I think we wil have our ops the same time ish so will b nice to have someone to go through it all with. Hope u get ur date soon.

Kirsty xx

Hi Lisa
I was tested for sleep apnoea at St James' in Leeds where it is standard procedure. It has been life changing for me as I am sleeping much better and the memory/cognitive problems I was experiencing have almost gone. They tested and scanned me for dementia it was so bad! Have had no problems sleeping with my CPAP machine that I have had since November, which is fitted with a nose pillow rather than a facial mask. I have to keep the machine until I have had the surgery as it is needed then, and until I have lost some weight. Have a review in April at sleep clinic where i am told I will be given more bits of kit for the op, so should know more about what is involved. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get your SA sorted or have it delay your op.

I'm from Birmingham and had a gastric band fitted at heartlands July last year x
Congrats Toddshar, what was it like? and how did you find the staff?

3 years thats long no wonder u jus want it all done with now. Im hoping they call this week to tell me my date. Need to know when its gna b so i can start to prepare an the hubby needs to book a week off work as we have 3 young kids so he will need to look after them and take over on the school run as i wont b able to drive. Its also my daughters 5th bday the 26th april so want to plan a little party for her. Im gna go to miller an carter wolvo b4 i start milk diet for my last meal iv always wanted to go. I think we wil have our ops the same time ish so will b nice to have someone to go through it all with. Hope u get ur date soon.

Kirsty xx
I hope so too Kirsty. We've only got a two year old, but its a similar thing for us to plan ahead so hubby can book time off work. I hadn't heard of Miller & Carter before, but had a look after you mentioned it, turns out there are 2 near enough to me and I'll definitely be visiting! lol. My birthday is in June so reason enough to try both hahaha

Hi Lisa
I was tested for sleep apnoea at St James' in Leeds where it is standard procedure. It has been life changing for me as I am sleeping much better and the memory/cognitive problems I was experiencing have almost gone. They tested and scanned me for dementia it was so bad! Have had no problems sleeping with my CPAP machine that I have had since November, which is fitted with a nose pillow rather than a facial mask. I have to keep the machine until I have had the surgery as it is needed then, and until I have lost some weight. Have a review in April at sleep clinic where i am told I will be given more bits of kit for the op, so should know more about what is involved. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get your SA sorted or have it delay your op.
Hi Sam. Good to hear it has improved your SA. Think I'll ring up tomorrow and ask about it as I've waited so long I really don't want any last minute blips that could have been avoided. When will you be having your surgery?

Back