• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Darlington

chrissy100

Hi :)

My name is Chrissy. I am from Darlington in the North East UK.

I am at the beginning of my bariatric journey. Should be having a balloon inserted soon. (I hope!) Not looking forward to that. But it is the start.

I will be having my surgery done at Darlington Memorial Hospital, which has only started doing these this year. There isn't a local support group and I am feeling very alone with all this at the moment. With no one to talk to about things. Friends and family don't understand and are not really interested, which is understandable. But I feel in limbo land.

If there is anyone from the North East that knows what I am going through, please let me know.

I have joined a group on Facebook, but the more I read about the problems people have had or are having, the more worried I am getting.

Sorry for rambling on. lol.

:help2:

Hi :)

My name is Chrissy. I am from Darlington in the North East UK.

I am at the beginning of my bariatric journey. Should be having a balloon inserted soon. (I hope!) Not looking forward to that. But it is the start.

I will be having my surgery done at Darlington Memorial Hospital, which has only started doing these this year. There isn't a local support group and I am feeling very alone with all this at the moment. With no one to talk to about things. Friends and family don't understand and are not really interested, which is understandable. But I feel in limbo land.

If there is anyone from the North East that knows what I am going through, please let me know.

I have joined a group on Facebook, but the more I read about the problems people have had or are having, the more worried I am getting.

Sorry for rambling on. lol.

:help2:
hey Chrissy, welcome to the site :) I havent had a balloon im afraid, so cant help you, but im sure someone will be along soon, good luck :) xxx

Chrissy, I am new too and although I am having a band and not a balloon, I so relate to not having anyone to share it with, to talk to or who "get it". I know Im a long way down the country to you, but if you ever want to chat, do shout :)

hey Chrissy, welcome to the site :) I havent had a balloon im afraid, so cant help you, but im sure someone will be along soon, good luck :) xxx

Thank you. The balloon is because my BMI is too high for them to do the bypass op. The balloon stays in for 6 months and then I have the op. xx

Hi i live in northyorkshire am having a band 22 sept at the hospital group private . its all new to me . hope it gos well and you get a date soon take care

Hi chrissy welcome to the site and good luck with your journey. I'm having my bypass on Monday at Darlington. Have you been to the seminar yet and met the team? They are all lovely.i havnt had a balloon fitted but Iv had the band in and took back out as it did not work for me. I'm sure someone will be along soon to talk to you about the baloon. Take care x

Hi Chrissy, I am from Willington nr Bishop Auckland, I had a bypass almost a year ago at Sunderland Royal as Darlington wasn't actually doing the ops then I never had abaloon so can't help there but know exactly how you feel, its a long journey for mst of us and yes its difficult for most people to understand and others think it is an easy option, which is not true, these things can only help us and give us a new lease of life, All the best for you rballoon hope everything goes smooth for ya always around if you need to chat am on fb as Christine Allchurch. xx

Thank you everyone. Christine I will look for you on FB. Thank you.

I have just had my date for the balloon. 11th Sept. Seeing Mr. Samier next Tuesday for a chat!

I have read a few posts about being able to be sedated when having the balloon fitted. I have not been offered this. In fact I have been told that they can't use it, you have to be able to swallow the balloon..... I will be asking questions next week!!

Excited, scared, adrenaline rush, bricking it!! Lol. x

Any one would be its natural to be scarted and nervous, some show it more than others. xx

Hi Chrissy, welcome to the site.

I've had the balloon and am due to get it out tomorrow. I think I've probably only lost 2 stones but my clothes sizes have gone down - from 30 to 26 on bottom and from 28 to 24 on top. The balloon was initially to see how I would cope with restriction of not eating or turning to food when upset before full surgery and I seem to have coped so far. I lose weight very slowly so am happy with 2 stones.

The insertion isn't nice, but its over within half and hour. You should have a light sedation so that you are relaxed but still conscious, and a numbing throat spray - which is blerghh... You stay overnight in hospital and are sent home with some tablets for nausea, pain and to reduce stomach acid. I only needed the nausea and pain relief for two days, but you do need to take the acid tablets (PPI) for the full 6 months. I was pretty much back to normal after a few days, and able to start exercising and back to work.

Foodwise - the restriction was excellent at the beginning and I could only drink and eat small amounts before getting the full up sign. Most of the weight was lost at this time. Ability to eat has increased or restriction has eased as the months have gone by but I've tried to stick to small meals - on a side plate and stop when I've had this. I don't feel very hungry most times - only near meal times really. Drinking water/NAS juice before and after eating at this point will help with keeping you full up.

I'm now on day 2 of the liquids only diet before the balloon comes out and have been fine. Been great not having to do any cooking/washing up. OH is having his dinners at him mums. There's food in the cupboards but I'm not even tempted.

I was done at Sunderland and the team were lovely, very patient with me as it took three goes to get the balloon down, and very informative and supportive. Darlington and NT/James Cook are much closer to me as I live in Stockton but they weren't offering surgery when I was referred 2 years ago.

I have been seeing the psychologist and its helped me a lot to do this and I have definitely seen a difference in the way I look at food and my confidence/self esteem has improved too. He's agreed for me to have a sleeve rather than bypass; I just have wait to see if the surgeon and multi-disciplinary team agree with this and if they do, I hope to have the surgery by this Christmas.

I do have support from my OH and sister, but I think I've probably talked them to death on the subject, so I rarely mention it now; only if they ask or if I get appointments for tests and things. Peopel I work with have been great too, and have been very supportive and interested in the procedures - if you've not got support from family, is there any other source -eg work, or any clubs that you might be in? You'll find load of support on this site too, whether you're wanting information or advice, to moan or celebrate, or just chat.

Sorry, I've rambled - I tend to do that - proably cos I don't have a captive audience anywhere else, and I get excited when I do start talking (or typing) about it - he he!.... Hope all goes well for you in September!

Hi Chrissy how you doing not heard from you in a while what you upto, you didnt get to our coffee n chat at Durham. There were 4 of us but more would like to come along next time. WE think we would like to goto Darlington for the next meeting would you be able to come do you think? I don't know Darlington very well so was thinking maybe a coffee shop in Cornmill or there a nice one next to the Dolphin center wher you can sit in or out what do you think, then we just have to decide on a date and invite people to come n share. Hope you are okxx

Back