• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from London at the very beginning

nafpnd

Hi all,

I came across this forum after doing a search on bariatric surgery on google and immediately started reading the posts and thought it's a really useful forum and decided to join. I think offloading might help me so bear with me.

In a nutshell, I was a 'fat' kid, was 'normal' through my late teenage years and early 20s and overweight from late 20s till now, early 40s, weight has yoyo'd over the years.

What really freaked me out was 2 things, first noticing that from about 4 years ago, none of my usual diet and exercise routines were helping me loose weight at all, I would loose maybe a kilo or 2 and stall for months and then try something else with the same result and second, I realised that I had high blood pressure. I had been discussing my weight with my nurse for the last 2 yrs whilst noticing that my blood pressure which had always been on the high side was getting higher. It's only when I entered my blood pressure figures on google that I realised I officially had hypertention and the nurse had not even mentioned that to me! My husband said to check the nhs site about the surgery as he had heard somewhere that hypertention in obese people qualified them for the surgery.

I referred myself to my GP who has since referred me to psychological therapies (IAPT) because my main problem is simply that I often binge and eat whether hungry or not, I imagine I am like an addict and I don't even know why I do it. So even though I have requested surgery, I am scared that with a restricted tummy, i will hurt myself when I get the urge to eat.

I received my choose and book letter for the whittington today but there were no appointments available! I will keep trying until Monday and call them if the situation has not changed.

Anybody with recent experience with the whittington? I am in Redbridge - anybody know of funding issues for Redbridge? Anybody with addiction like behavior towards eating and how has surgery affected you, how have you coped with it pre and post surgery, did this affect the likelihood of having the surgery at all etc....

Thanks for reading!
Nafisa

Hello newbie, welcome to the best site you will ever cone across, lots of very sharing and caring people on here
the only thing I can say is make the most of your 1 on 1 meetings and do your research on what type of WLS your PCT offer and what , afer your meeting and chat with the nurses is the best type of WLS is right for you
Keep posting, the more you post the more of the site opens up for you
very good luck with everything

Thanks I guess it's quite daunting at first but I'm sure it will get better with time.

Hi Nafisa, welcome to the forum. There's lots of great info on here. Good luck with everything :)

Thanks bfb

Hello Nafisa,
I'm not with Whittington but wanted to welcome you to the forum, best wishes and good luck on your journey :)
Ali :)

Thanks Ali, thanks Pauline.

Wow, this weight loss journey is interesting and full of ups and down. I had my first appointment at the whitt and was nearly turned away because I had not lost weight since the referral! I didn't even know that I had to loose weight for my first appointment, I had missed that even on the forums here. Anyway, the consultant felt sorry for me and put me on tier 3 for a year - I was asked to loose some weight and come back after 6 months to start on some tests -for sleep apnoea etc. Loosing weight is slow going - that's how I've landed at this stage in the journey in the first place - I felt I have become so resistant to loosing weight it's really hard! I have resorted to low carbing because it is the only way to reduce snacks cravings which of course lead to weight gain - at least I won't be gaining even if if I am not loosing either! Am now waiting for the dietitian - a month waiting for an appointment in hopes of getting some fresh ideas on what to eat as I have tried so many diets over the years with obviously limited success. Also on waiting list for eating disorders therapy after being discharged from IAPT as I was not depressed. At eating disorders the assessor informed me that they only really see people with life threatening symptoms of binge eating as the NHS has no resources to deal with everyone referred with binge eating. Oh wow, yeah and I also discovered I have poly-cystic ovaries and apparently there is a link there with insulin resistance - yeah, a lot to consider!

I've been working hard trying to loose the weight required pre-op. Was very happy to have lost 4kg for my first follow up at 6 months. Happy?! that's not much right but believe me, I have been dieting for years and gaining so loosing anything at all is an achievement for me. I get very despondent though when I see people complaining of only loosing a pound or two pounds a week and I can't loose that in a month! Oh well, as they say - we're all different. Luckily, my consultant seems to understand (I think he's done a study on weight loss resistance) and he encouraged me. He said I did everything they have asked for - I had all my documentation for the appointment as the Whitt education department had suggested - I had my psych report - do not suffer from any eating disorder was the diagnosis. I had my gym report, my dietician report and my education session. He was really pleased I did everything they asked for even though I did not loose too much weight. Feel like I am on course. Now, have a dozen tests to do, echo, laporoscopy, and pre-assessment (which might involve more blood tests and maybe an ecg) plus I have to attend at least one support group session. I've been told I've been booked for 18th May! (have not received a letter yet so can't believe it's so soon!)

Yes thats what I meant.
For April alone have about 5 appointments at the Whitt. The journey there is the main challenge, 1.5 hrs each way.

Best of luck on your journey!

Thanks Lisa. My gastroscopy showed that I have a hernia so it has to be the RY bypass for me.

For April alone have about 5 appointments at the Whitt. The journey there is the main challenge, 1.5 hrs each way.

Srh isnt quite as far as that from me but its a good 30 to 45 minute journey depending on traffic. This month is the only time I will have had 2 appointments in the same month but I dont mind as its pre op then op 2 weeks later lol

Welcome x This site is lovely and so friendly, good luck with your journey xx

Back