• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from a newbie on SW London

PlayfullGenie

Hello everyone *wave*

I am so happy to have found this amazing forum today!!

Just a l'il bit of background about me : have had a lifetime of issues with food, trying numerous diets but they all failed. When I had my baby boy 22 years ago, I quit my bulimic tendencies and the weight really started to pile on. After years of seeing endocrinologists and gynaecologists (akin to a pinball machine but without the pretty lights!), I gave up about 7 years ago and resigned myself to be an exceptionally-curvy babe, while trying to get a handle on my emotional eating.

Fast track to May 2011, was diagnosed with a very aggressive variant of breast cancer but was unable to have a mastectomy due to concerns re: surviving the operation. 2 ops, chemo & radiotherapy, I hit the wall with severe depression and coupled with immense grief + steroids managed to pile on 20kg in a year, effortlessly:cry:- so much for bringing my weight down to 100kg for my much-needed bilateral (double) mastectomy and reconstruction to prevent a recurrence.

My GP last year refused to heed the advice of my onco-plastic-surgeon who in 2 letters (April/May '12) requested she refer me urgently for bariatric surgery.

I switched GPs recently, back to my original GP who was back from maternity leave : 3 weeks ago she decided enough was enough! She sat with me, wrote a referral letter to the Bariatrics team of the hospital where I had my cancer treatment, and also firing off a referral letter for emotional support for my B.E.D.

Gosh, it was SUCH a relief to come out of the closet to someone after 25+ years of self-abuse!

Amazingly, I had my 1st bariatrics appointment yesterday and saw a consultant surgeon (who is so gorgeous that now I can't even remember his bloomin' name!), who is working in unison with my beloved onco-plastic surgeon. I have a dietetics appt in 2 weeks and the MDT will discuss my case thereafter. A gastric sleeve seems to be the best option for me but I know it's a waiting game and discussions also needed with the psychologist to work out a plan that works for my rather unusual situation (far more complex than I can describe here in any post!).

My Beloved and best friend are very anti bariatric surgery but I really feel that it's a small price to pay (losing a considerable amount of my stomach); I've investigated bariatric surgery for the last 8 years or so, so it's not really an "out of the blue" idea.

I really appreciate the wealth of information within this forum and am so looking forward to sharing the next steps of my journey with people who really understand.

Wishing you all every success and great joy!!
Callie x

Hi there,

Just wanted to say hello. I too am new to all this and trying to deal with all the emotions that have come crashing down since I finally took the step to open up to my gp. I have my first meeting with the mdt team in a couple of weeks and am so scared I will be turned down.

Good luck on your journey! I see that you are from SW - are you also at St Thomas by any chance?

Hi Callie, what a rough ride you've had! I wish you all the best and I look forward to hearing about your journey. xx

Hi I'm in south west London and love my sleeve. Which hospital are you under? X

Helloooooo *wave*

Ohhhh Tiili - I so understand how you are feeling re: emotional seesaw ((( hugs )))

I'm under St George's (Tooting) but hope to be referred to St Thomas' later this year as the bilateral mastectomy reconstruction procedure I wish to have is only carried out there ;)

Wonder if you can train as a London Tourist Guide but for hospitals & procedures ;) *giggle*

I looooooooove tea too :)

Good luck on your journey I hope it all works out for you, you deserve it. x

My sister has just had her last chemo yesterday then to have radiotherapy.

I had my band removed at St.Georges in 2011 by Mr Wans team, they are all very good.

I am having either Sleeve or Bypass on 9th June privately as got no where fast waiting on NHS!

What an amazing experience. Wishing you all the best in your new journey in life.

Thank you so much, Malibu & Pauladerm :)

Malibu - wishing your sister every success on her Warrior Goddess path!!! She will find RT so much easier than chemo - I really recommend using jojoba oil (even olive oil) rather than the 'orrible unnatural aqueous cream :/ but she will sleep loads :) x

Yes I was st George's but had it done at st Anthony's :)

Back