• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from the South West

callmebubbles

Hi everyone, I'm being banded at Royal Bournemouth Hospital on 12th July, I would love to hear from anyone who is being banded around that time. Is it normal to want to eat everything in sight before I start the milk diet on July 1st, or should i try and start cutting back now. Is there any other advice you can offer me to get ready for my new way of life, anything I should be getting in, as most other food is being cleared out at this time. Also can anyone recommend where to get good chewable vitamins to. Thanks very much, would love to hear from you.

Hi x I think some of us do get scared we will not be able to eat and enjoy food after a band,..I wouldn't worry too much as you are able to eat most things as normal but in moderate/smaller quantities...just after the op you will be on liquids then slushy mushy food for a while before soft foods then gradually switching to denser , dryer food that works well with a band. Has your provider not given you a list of what to have after yet? I'm sure if you ask you will be given some info.
I would say protein shakes/slimfast type drinks , non lumpy soups and yogurts initially would be handy to have in. Then you go onto things like porridge / scrambled egg (if you can tolerate) mashed up meals etc.
We all get told the same roughly plus it depends on how your own body heals and copes. It is important to follow the guidelines you are given after surgery to ensure you heal properly inside though.
As for before your pre-op diet, well...I guess I can understand where you're coming from there...it's like most diets I ever went on too ...eat as much as possible of the fave foods because when the diet starts that's the end of all the indulgence etc.
As a long term bander I can tell you that there will always be a need to exert plenty of will power , most of the worst craving foods we have still go down in spite of the band.
Perhaps switch your attention from the food side and try and think about what you'll be able to look forward to as you begin to lose weight.
Above all I would try and keep clear of refined sugars and empty carbs like refined white flour foods....
Loads of protein and low fat low GI for after the op...

Hi Neen I think I am over worrying about things, I have been given a post op diet, which includes a lot of what you suggested, also getting confused if i can ever take tablets again or does every medicine from now on have to be chewable, even head-ache tablets. Thanks for the advice so far.

Hiya x I think some of the banders here take medication as usual , I personally take soluable / chewy vits etc still but that's my own preference as I have quite a lot in my band.
It's perfectly natural to worry over the unknown, if you read through here pretty much everyone has the same fears and concerns because it's a huge deal changing your lifestyle.
There's so much to find out and we'll all usually chip in with advice based on our personal experiences...even between the banders we are all different and have different reactions to everything etc plus have been given slightly different advice by our own surgeons etc....main thing I would suggest is get your facts from the people doing your op as they know you and your individual case and therefore it won't mean you read stuff on here and end up too confused...use this place as a great informal unofficial ideas source and mainly as a fab place to find people who feel like you do, know how it feels to need WLS and be at that point where it has to be the way forward...AND ..of course will be friends without judgement and really and truly want to help you stick to your weight loss journey and be a success ! Big hugs x

:welcome2:Hi ya Bubbles,

not a bander but just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful site :welcome:

Hi Poo bear and galm 37, Thanks for the welcome. This is a really great site, and will hopefully help me on my way. I'm just trying to understand how the site all works, then I can contribute fully as I'm not use to computers that much and first time on a forum, so please put up with me!!!

Hiya callmebubbles, welcome to the forum, everyone is really nice and supportive on here. Not long to wait now for your band woop[ woop. Its only my second forum so know how you feel, good luck with your journey :) xxx

HI callmebubble

I just wanted to wish you luck on your journey i am also having a op in july but the bypass not the band x

Hi Tracey and thanks for the welcome. Have you started your pre op diet yet, I see you are losing weight already. I had such good intentions as soon as I got my band date through that I would start dieting before my starting my pre op milk diet 2 weeks before but it has all gone out the window and I have just been eating for England. The last 3 days have been pretty good though and I am making sensible choices and not pigging out, otherwise I know its just going to make the milk diet even harder if I dont start cutting back now. I have my next appointment on Wednesday and I will start my ticker from that date, as I will be weighed again at the hospital, my scales at home keep giving me different readings, I just think they cant cope with what I weigh at the moment so they are not worth getting on. I'm so impressed with the site it's great to be able to talk with like minded people, only my partner and parents know I'm having the band. So it is good to get advice from other people going through it as well. Thanks Bubbles :) x

Back