• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie here

tasmine

Hi everyone and thank you for all your stories they are really inspirational. Due to have bypass mid Jan and went down private route as my Dr said I would not be eligible under NHS. Would like some info about pre diet which I am due to start beginning of Jan and about what vitamins I can expect to take after as I took vitamins in past and they were horrid!!

I've just had the bypass and my hospital team told me to take multi vitamin a-z, calcium and vit d sachet, regular blood tests ect. 60g protein a day minimum along with reduced sugar foods. I am finding vegetables, Quorn, beans and eggs with plenty of fluids per day working well for me so far. Lilacglittergirl is really helpful on questions.

Good luck with the operation, its sooo worth it.

I am an NHS bypasser. My doctors have me on an A-Z multi vitamin, a Ferrous Sulphate(iron) and Adcal(calcium). I also have a 3 monthly B12 injection.
As for your pre op everyone is different, I personally did a milk diet for 10 days but your dietician should let you know what they want you to take.

Hello newbie!
Im a nhs bypasser and like loving the loop on the same med apart from the b12 injections I did the vlcd for 4 weeks couldnt face the milk or soup diet for that long! now 15 months post op and just in the 14 stone backet from starting point of 28.5 stone but thing ive EVER done
wishing you the very best

Welcome! I'm a sleever so can't give you much advice about bypasses but good luck! It's going to be a life-changer! xx

Welcome tasmine. So excited for you - you will not regret it. I won't lie, a bypass is a challenge for sure but the rewards are awesome. You will be saying cheerio to food which has been your best friend and worst enemy. The aim of the game will be to shed your excess weight (prob within six to nine months depending on how much you have to lose - I lost nine stone in as many months) and by this time next year you will be eating 'normally' just very little of it, and avoiding fats and sugars which will make you very unwell indeed. You'll be fine. This forum is an amazing resource of advice and experience.

If your bypass is booked for mid Jan then I guess your Liver shrinking diet will be two weeks (mine was four). Your team will advise what the diet will be - mine was four cans of Weight Watchers soup, four Muller Light yogs and 500ml of semi-skimmed a day ONLY for the four weeks. It was the hardest thing I have done but I lost 12kg! The diet serves two purposes: the main one is to shrink the Liver so the surgeon can easily hook it out of the way and minimise risk of damage (you will have a small scar low between your breasts where the hook is inserted and attached to the side of the operating table), the second purpose is to mentally prepare you for not being able to eat like you have been doing ever again in your life. You must stick to this diet like glue - if you waver you are not ready for surgery and must be honest with your team who will defer the date so you can get in the zone. I cannot stress strongly enough how big the mental challenge of a bypass is ... But we do it, and you will too.

We will squidge up on the Losers' Bench for you hun. Exciting times! xxxx

PS: you can read about my journey in my thread in the part of the forum 'Gastric Bypass RNY: Inspirational photos before and after'. It is titled 'Feeling fit and fabulous ...'. It has had over 26.5k views and over 650 comments

Last edited:
Thank you so much and I hope I'm ready for this challenge and new chapter in my life. Everyone on here so nice and ready to get on that bench with all you lovely people xx

Welcome Tasmine, looking forward to seeing you around x

Back