• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie here.......................

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Sorry to start on a rant but I have to get this off my chest before starting work or I might explode. I'm sure you have all experienced this aswell at some point but people's attitudes to the surgery............GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Just got off the phone with (or hung up should I say!!) my sister who told me to stop being so ridiculous and lazy and to just get on with it. I had mentioned the Orlistat to her and said that many people seemed to have a great first two weeks but not much after that. Her point was that at least it's a start. That would be true if I had 1-2 stone to lose but it's more like 8!!! If I had the ability to lose the weight independently I wouldn't be 28 and the size of a house!!!

Right, anger gone!! Blissful feeling returning...........aaaaaaaaah!!

Hope you are all well!!!

Please don't let your sister dishearten you. Nobody knows how terrible you feel unless they have been or are in the same situation. That is why you are in the best place here

I am fairly new here to but in such a short time I have learnt so much and that is due to all the wonderful people in here.

No matter how you feel, happy or sad you will always feel better after being on here.

I have decided that I am officially an addict!!!!!

Thanks. I know I should just ignore my sister but it's hard. She is slightly overweight now (after having kids) so thinks she knows where I'm coming from but she is probably a stone and a half - 2 stone overweight whereas I'm slightly more than that!!

I am so glad that I found this group as I don't know who else I'd talk to about it. All of my friends (bar one who is around the same size but is happy about it!!) are skinny-minnies. I love them all but I know they wouldn't understand!!

Well here's to hoping that the doc sends the referral ASAP and I hear something soon! I know it's going to be a loooooooooong process if I go through the NHS and I guess these things take time. I wouldn't be able to get it done until September anyway due to work commitments. I will see where I am in the process by that point and start saving in the meantime! I only wish I'd done this two years ago when I started researching it!!!

Hi,
I'm new to this website so be gentle!!! I am currently looking into getting a gastric band but not sure how long it takes etc. I live in Brent PCT and it doesn't have the guidelines on the BOSPA website.............does anyone know how to get this info? I went to see my GP tonight who is going to refer me to whoever he needs to about a gastric band. He also gave me Orlistat to try. My BMI is currently 40.7. If I lose a bit of weight and go under 40 will I affect my chances of getting the op??

Does anyone else live in the Brent PCT and if so, how long did everything take?? I am obviously keen to get everything moving!!! Also, what are the typical steps to getting a band.....i.e. GP appointment then......, or does it vary depending on the PCT/doctor/surgeon??
Thanks in advance!!!

HI Meggie

I can't really answer your question yet....sorry!

But the question you ask is one that I would love to know also but I don't think there is a hard and fast answer as to going under BMI of 40 and losing your chance.

I asked this here in Mini's a while back and it would seem very much down to your surgeon and their team.

I am going to my group meeting at the end of the month and it is one of the 1st questions I am going to ask as I want to start losing some weight for my own benefit...I just dread ending up where I am now with the constant yoyo effect.

Good luck with your journey and keep us informed.

~hugs~

Oh and I also believe I will become addicted to this site!! Oooops, already am!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Sorry to start on a rant but I have to get this off my chest before starting work or I might explode. I'm sure you have all experienced this aswell at some point but people's attitudes to the surgery............GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Just got off the phone with (or hung up should I say!!) my sister who told me to stop being so ridiculous and lazy and to just get on with it. I had mentioned the Orlistat to her and said that many people seemed to have a great first two weeks but not much after that. Her point was that at least it's a start. That would be true if I had 1-2 stone to lose but it's more like 8!!! If I had the ability to lose the weight independently I wouldn't be 28 and the size of a house!!!

Right, anger gone!! Blissful feeling returning...........aaaaaaaaah!!

Hope you are all well!!!

I have been challenged by my son...but he was just worried about me going through surgery and wants to be sure that I will be ok...He, like the rest of my family are fully supportive now and only want me to be happy and more importantly healthy.

My family has seen me go through the sheer hell of fighting this yoyo weight loss and weight gain...they have seen me in tears when I want to join in some of the family activities but can't because I physically can't or psychologically won't...(I think that's why I love us having meals together at home or in restaurants as it's the only activity I can join them with)...

If she gives you any more negativity try writing her a heartfelt letter and letting her know how you feel.....peeps can't argue with a piece of paper...She will come round.

All the best

~hugs~

Back