• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie just starting my journey with the Homerton able for surgery

Chez one

hi, here’s my story so far I had a gystric band over five years ago, done really well lost eight stone, but over time been having trouble with acid reflux I now how a hernia and gaining weight. I was referred to the Homerton hospital for revision surgery. Now for the questions does any one know how long it takes for surgery I have been discussed at the MDT meeting on 21/05/2018 which they said after certain tests I could be suitable for surgery then I had to attend a Bariatric assessment where I had blood tests ecg psychology report on the 22/Oct /2018. I have now received a letter saying I was discussed at another MDT meeting where I should be good to go for surgery when as long as no problems occur. My next step now is me and the consultant need to decide what surgery is best, then I need to attend a preadmission clinic ( WHAT IS THIS ) then a Bariatric inpatient preparation group ( WHAT IS THIS ) following these I get a surgery date so sorry for the long boring story but does anyone know how long from here thank you in advance

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome.

I'm a band to sleever, who also had a hernia. I had to wait a good few years for all three ops as my conversion was two stage.

It sounds like your well on the way though.

A pre admission appointment is likely to be routine tests to check your health and fitness for surgery. So blood tests etc.

The preparation group will be you and others being told what to expect in terms of pre op diet, outlining the different ops and an insight into post op eating advice

Good luck! x

Bling Babe

Hi welcome and good luck, Mazza has answered your questions, I agree your well on the way to getting your surgery, where are you having your surgery? keep in touch xx

Chez one

Hello and welcome.

I'm a band to sleever, who also had a hernia. I had to wait a good few years for all three ops as my conversion was two stage.

It sounds like your well on the way though.

A pre admission appointment is likely to be routine tests to check your health and fitness for surgery. So blood tests etc.

The preparation group will be you and others being told what to expect in terms of pre op diet, outlining the different ops and an insight into post op eating advice

Good luck! x
Hi thank you for your reply

Firstly what is conversion stage two mean, and did you have to have three operations, I have had my pre admission appointment bloods ecg psychologists report, all in one day. Next step is preadmission not sure what that is though and have to see consultant to discuss what operation I’m going to have will keep you updated, and thank you

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi thank you for your reply

Firstly what is conversion stage two mean, and did you have to have three operations, I have had my pre admission appointment bloods ecg psychologists report, all in one day. Next step is preadmission not sure what that is though and have to see consultant to discuss what operation I’m going to have will keep you updated, and thank you

I take it you meant two stage conversion? because that's what I wrote and what I had. It means one op to remove the band, then another, after allowing time for my stomach to heal, to do the sleeve.

Yes I had three operations, band removal January 16, sleeve September 16 and hernia repair last month.

So you've had your pre admission checks but your next step is also pre admission. In that case I have no idea. Im only going by the appointments I had with a similar name. Didn't they tell you at your last appointment what it would entail?

You could probably find out from the hospital how long the waiting time is. Someone on here may have a rough idea if they're under the same hospital but it will only be a rough idea.

Chez one

I take it you meant two stage conversion? because that's what I wrote and what I had. It means one op to remove the band, then another, after allowing time for my stomach to heal, to do the sleeve.

Yes I had three operations, band removal January 16, sleeve September 16 and hernia repair last month.

So you've had your pre admission checks but your next step is also pre admission. In that case I have no idea. Im only going by the appointments I had with a similar name. Didn't they tell you at your last appointment what it would entail?

You could probably find out from the hospital how long the waiting time is. Someone on here may have a rough idea if they're under the same hospital but it will only be a rough idea.

I, didn’t realised They took the band out then waited to do surgery, is that in all cases, as I thought they do it all in one hit.
Your right think I will ring them tomorrow and ask thank you.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's very much on a case by case basis. I'd had my band for seven years and there was extensive damage to my stomach which needed to heal. To do the op in one go would have been too dangerous plus as I was so ill, I needed my health to improve too.

I'd had scans a barium swallow and camera down the throat, which resulted in a diagnosis of GERD and oesophaguitis as well as extensive scarring and damage.

No harm in ringing them, knowledge is power!

Chez one

I think it's very much on a case by case basis. I'd had my band for seven years and there was extensive damage to my stomach which needed to heal. To do the op in one go would have been too dangerous plus as I was so ill, I needed my health to improve too.

I'd had scans a barium swallow and camera down the throat, which resulted in a diagnosis of GERD and oesophaguitis as well as extensive scarring and damage.

Thank you

MariaMaria83

Hi Chez, I’m also at Homerton and also recently MDT cleared, I’ve just had my follow up Consultant appointment where you decide which op is best for you and sign consent forms. I am now waiting for a call with a date for my pre op, which is about 4 weeks before surgery, an up to date bloods/weight and all that jazz.
My surgeon did say that not much goes on surgery wise Jan/Feb due to cuts and Bariatrics taking a hit so looking at timescales that might give you a little idea. Which surgeon are you seeing? x

Chez one

Hi Chez, I’m also at Homerton and also recently MDT cleared, I’ve just had my follow up Consultant appointment where you decide which op is best for you and sign consent forms. I am now waiting for a call with a date for my pre op, which is about 4 weeks before surgery, an up to date bloods/weight and all that jazz.
My surgeon did say that not much goes on surgery wise Jan/Feb due to cuts and Bariatrics taking a hit so looking at timescales that might give you a little idea. Which surgeon are you seeing? x
Hi

Thank you for getting back to me.
I’m with ms Kalpana devalia, I just called them and she said the surgeon has been on hoilday so appointment hopefully will be soon to soon etc.
It’s getting so real now. I will keep you all updated
Thank you x

Chez one

Hi
Just rang them, and everything is good to go, so will ask the questions when I see consultant. , Has anybody one some questions which might be important just can’t think at the moment.
Thank you.