• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie Luton & Dunstable

LinBaker

Hello, I'm a newbie and really confused about the system :help2: !!!!

After two years working with a dietician at my GPs surgery, my GP suggested a referral for WLSurgery and that the work I'd put in with the dietician plus the efforts I'd made over the years with diet clubs would be taken into account. I must admit I thought it was too good to be true, and perhaps it is.

When I arrived at my first appointment in early March 2014, I was told that I had to complete a whole 12 months with their Tier 3 dietician before even being considered for surgery

The explained that the rules had changed to make things fairer and that this was the case nationwide - everyone has to do this 12 months tier 3 no matter what efforts they've made in the past.

Anyhoo, I've been put on a 'milk' diet which I really struggle with; I'm on week 6 out of the 8 weeks they told me to do this for and have my next appointment on June 13 - I don't really know what to expect then, only I hope they don't keep me on this milk diet indefinitely! It's grim.

I was wondering if anyone else went through L&D hospital and what their experience was with the 12 month programme and how long the wait for surgery is after the 12 month Tier 3

Last edited:
Hi, sadly can't help much as I was on the old system, but I understand one lady has been on the milk diet for six months. However, she is now dated for her op, so don't lose hope! Good luck!

At the moment I am one week into my 8 week milk diet, following that I have a further 8 weeks on milk and solid food, then I have to do another 8 weeks of food only. This will take 6 months all together. I don't know if this is what they call the 3 Tier system - I only know it as 3 Stage Intensive Weight Loss Management Programme.

I am with Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge. I have been told that once this process is over they will consider me for bariatric surgery if my BMI has not gone below 57. I do have a lot of medical problems, such as high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, sleep apnea, cellulitus, arthritis and an undiagnosed condition with my back which has disabled me enough that I have to use a mobility scooter as I can only stand for a few minutes at a time. Other than this I am fit and healthy:):):):):)

I started this process almost two years ago, first spending 6 months on a programme with Live Well Suffolk, lost 1.5 stones, then it's taken this much time to get funding for the first stage of weight loss programme at Addenbrookes, then I believe funding has to be applied for again for the operation. My worry is that when I have finished this 6 months they are going to say I am too old for surgery - I will be 63 by then. My argument will be that I started when I was 59 - I am going along with whatever they say, what choice do I have, I am staying positive though.

Pamala

just a quick hi and welcome cant help with the tier 3 as i didnt have to do it sorry but good luck

Good luck on your journey x

I'd be interested to know too, i was referred to the L&D but in the end decided to go private.

Good luck x

Hello and welcome to a fantastic site!

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to be a good girl and do whatever they tell me to do. Fingers crossed :)

oops my post is duplicated; when it didn't show up the first time, I posted again. I can't work out how to delete, sorry!

hi welcome sorry cant help with the tier 3 but good luck

I have an appointment at the end of this week and am anxious about them keeping me on this milk diet; I've stuck with it, but am really struggling after having been on it a couple of months now!

It's been on my mind a lot that I have to be on this tier 3 weight management for 12 months, I'm so ready to have the surgery and it seems such a huge mountain to climb.

I see others waiting 6/7 months from referral to surgery and wonder if I'm just not obese enough, not ill enough (I have chronic fatigue, pre diabetes for which I take Metformin, pain in my joints and feet & suspected sleep apnea - awaiting a sleep study) which appears to be not enough reason to offer surgery.

I'm thinking I need to take my medical records with me this week and ask them to take it into consideration. I don't really want to be on metformin forever and certainly don't want my diagnosed 'pre diabetes' to turn full-blown just to tick some boxes to be more 'worthy' of weight loss surgery.

Perhaps I need to be a little more assertive and ask far more questions?

I do worry that if I'm doing well losing weight on the 3 tier programme, that surgery will be refused at the end of the 12 months! I've been there before - losing lots of weight, then gaining it all back plus more . . .

Hey ho, plodding on

Last edited:
Back