• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie and confused, Luton & Dunstable

Natty.clare78

Hi

I am so glad to have found somewhere to come to talk to someone!!!

I am just starting my journey, have been referred by my GP and have my first appointment on September 10th. I am confused as reading other peoples posts they say they took bloods but I have to have all my bloods done before I get there and take the results with me! Has anyone else had to do this?
I was also told by the referral lady at my surgery (she rang l & D and asked for the average waiting time at the moment) that they are scheduling surgeries for November , dependant on first appointment. Now, I am assuming this isn't correct, I was told it would be 6 months on tier 3 alone!!!

Anyone been lately can advise please?

Many, many thanks
Natalie

Hi,

Yes tier 3 will be either 6 or 12 months depending on your BMI / health bits, so don't expect a November surgery! This time next year maybe.

They seemed to take blood at random so just turn up expecting it to be taken

Good luck and all the best, just had my surgery there last week and the team is excellent.

:)

Hi, I had bloods taken at my first appointment at the L&D , even though my GP had done them. They just want get a set of results on their records , so they can check how you are doing. At times it might seem confusing as to what they are doing and why, but there is a successful program at L&D , you only need to see the number of L&D people on this forum. They want to make sure everything is covered before they even think about surgery, it is for your safety.
Good luck at your appointment.

Hi,

Yes tier 3 will be either 6 or 12 months depending on your BMI / health bits, so don't expect a November surgery! This time next year maybe.

They seemed to take blood at random so just turn up expecting it to be taken

Good luck and all the best, just had my surgery there last week and the team is excellent.

:)
Thank you. Do you mind me asking which surgery you had please? and why you went for that one?

Hi, I had bloods taken at my first appointment at the L&D , even though my GP had done them. They just want get a set of results on their records , so they can check how you are doing. At times it might seem confusing as to what they are doing and why, but there is a successful program at L&D , you only need to see the number of L&D people on this forum. They want to make sure everything is covered before they even think about surgery, it is for your safety.
Good luck at your appointment.

Thank you, it all seems very overwhelming at the moment!
Would you mind me asking why you went for the bypass?

Hi

I am just starting my journey, have been referred by my GP and have my first appointment on September 10th. I am confused as reading other peoples posts they say they took bloods but I have to have all my bloods done before I get there and take the results with me! Has anyone else had to do this?
I was also told by the referral lady at my surgery (she rang l & D and asked for the average waiting time at the moment) that they are scheduling surgeries for November , dependant on first appointment. Now, I am assuming this isn't correct, I was told it would be 6 months on tier 3 alone!!!

Many, many thanks
Natalie
Hi Natalie,and welcome, I'm at L&D and had to have bloods dinedone before I went to my first appointment and take the results with me. Also you will be put on either a tier 3, 6 or 12 month program depending on your BMI, so your surgery is very unlikely to he this year. You will most likely have to do a 4 week milk diet to start, followed by a food reintroduction diet, which is where I'm at with them now, they told me my surgery wouldn't be this year x

Hi

Many, many thanks
Natalie
Hi Natalie I am also at Luton and had bypass nearly a year ago. I believe the waiting times now are longer than when I was going through the system but I promise you it will be so worthwhile. Please ask away for any advice xxx

Hi Natalie, I’m also L and D, I had bloods on my first appointment but they may have changed that as Sandra says she had to take hers, your tier 3 will indeed be 6 or 12 months depending on your BMI, you then begin tier 4, so yes a bit of a wait, mine was 12 months tier 3 and 22 months from first appointment to surgery (5th April 2018) it will go quickly and it’s a great time to research research research so you understand exactly what your taking on. Good luck and please keep in touch xx

Hi Natalie,and welcome, I'm at L&D and had to have bloods dinedone before I went to my first appointment and take the results with me. Also you will be put on either a tier 3, 6 or 12 month program depending on your BMI, so your surgery is very unlikely to he this year. You will most likely have to do a 4 week milk diet to start, followed by a food reintroduction diet, which is where I'm at with them now, they told me my surgery wouldn't be this year x
Thankyou, I thought it was highly unlikely surgery would be so quick!
Do you know the difference between the 6 month and 12 month please? X

Hi Natalie I am also at Luton and had bypass nearly a year ago. I believe the waiting times now are longer than when I was going through the system but I promise you it will be so worthwhile. Please ask away for any advice xxx
Thankyou, I am sure there will be lots of questions! Xx

Hi Natalie, I’m also L and D, I had bloods on my first appointment but they may have changed that as Sandra says she had to take hers, your tier 3 will indeed be 6 or 12 months depending on your BMI, you then begin tier 4, so yes a bit of a wait, mine was 12 months tier 3 and 22 months from first appointment to surgery (5th April 2018) it will go quickly and it’s a great time to research research research so you understand exactly what your taking on. Good luck and please keep in touch xx
Thankyou, if you don’t mind me asking why were you 12 months for tier 3?
Xx

The answer to 6 or 12 months on Tier 3, was primarily dependant on your BMI ( BMI over 50 was 6 months, otherwise 12 months). I think this is still the case at L&D. Everyone does at least 6 months. I was told that think of Tier 3 as a trial of what you need to do pre-op and post surgery.
Even on finishing the prescribed amount of time on Tier 3 you are expected to keep up the work till the day of surgery.

Also as a note the mimimum time window the NHS has to carry out an op is 18 weeks, so it'll be at least that long from whenever you're refered.

Of course different surgeons can have longer waiting lists!

And yes everyone will do at least 6 months on Tier 3. It's time to use to get your head around the massive changes that'll be made as part of the journey.

The answer to 6 or 12 months on Tier 3, was primarily dependant on your BMI ( BMI over 50 was 6 months, otherwise 12 months). I think this is still the case at L&D. Everyone does at least 6 months. I was told that think of Tier 3 as a trial of what you need to do pre-op and post surgery.
Even on finishing the prescribed amount of time on Tier 3 you are expected to keep up the work till the day of surgery.
Oh yes 40 was with co-morbidity’s xx

Thankyou, I thought it was highly unlikely surgery would be so quick!
Do you know the difference between the 6 month and 12 month please? X
I'm not too sure, but I'm thinking its because if your BMI is very high, they feel you need surgery sooner than those with a lower BMI. Other than that I don't think there is a difference, but you're obviously on a low calorie diet for a longer period of time. xx

Hi there im also at L&D :)
Yes they asked me to have bloods taken before my 1st appointment too and to take results with me.
If you are seen for 6 or 12 months on tier 3 can also depend on where you live.....I'm from Hertfordshire and they ask for all their patients to be seen for at least a year even though my bmi was over 50 at my first appointment (I have no Co morbiditys)!!!
Good luck at your first appointment.

Hi there im also at L&D :)
Yes they asked me to have bloods taken before my 1st appointment too and to take results with me.
If you are seen for 6 or 12 months on tier 3 can also depend on where you live.....I'm from Hertfordshire and they ask for all their patients to be seen for at least a year even though my bmi was over 50 at my first appointment (I have no Co morbiditys)!!!
Good luck at your first appointment.
If that’s the case then that very new, have the NICE guidelines been changed to reflect this because they have to work within theses guidelines, how far along your journey are you because I would definitely look into that. Good luck xx

If that’s the case then that very new, have the NICE guidelines been changed to reflect this because they have to work within theses guidelines, how far along your journey are you because I would definitely look into that. Good luck xx
I didn't even think to check the NICE guidelines to be honest.........just took the their word for it at my first appointment I'll defo have a little read up then. I only started my journey beginning of may this year!!!! X

I didn't even think to check the NICE guidelines to be honest.........just took the their word for it at my first appointment I'll defo have a little read up then. I only started my journey beginning of may this year!!!! X
Have a little read it’s easy to find with google xx

Back