• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie thinking about Czech Republic

emmten

Thought it was about time I introduced myself. I have been researching WLS and lurking on various forums for some time.

I have come to the conclusion that I now need to think seriously about WLS after the usual failed diet attempts over the years. I have lost several stones on many occasions, but I wonder if you can guess what happened!

The last time I was sure it wouldn't happen again, because I was **** scared after suffering a stroke nearly six years ago, thanks to family history of hypertension. Luckily, I recovered well, so I think residual neurological damage is probably only apparent to me. However, bad eating habits returned, and injury and illness followed by depression hit my usual exercise regime.

I am now at my heaviest ever, about the same as I was briefly about 12-13 years ago before I started regular exercise. My chosen exercise, tennis, is now causing suffering so frequency has dropped. I know I can't go on this way.

From my initial research I have come to the conclusion that a sleeve or wrap would be best for me and that CZR is the place to go (esp if considering wrap). Although if you had asked me a year ago, I would have said anyone planning to go abroad for surgery was mad. What I need now is help to decide which op and which supplier. Any information anyone has would be gratefully received.

Thanks for looking

Thanks, much of what you say tallies with what I already found out. I was put off the band for many of the same reasons you were, plus long term it seems too many have to be removed because of erosion and other complications. Plus , being left handed I also thought I would likely find a port irritating more irritating than most.

Were you able to compare mortality and morbidity data from different surgeons and were they happy enough to provide this type of data? Stomach necrosis sounds like the most worrying complication I have heard of and seems unique to the wrap. Also,did they provide details about how many procedures they have actually done and in what timescale?

I'm still concerned about the whole aftercare issue. Just a worrywart me!!

Logically I can see that risks of continuing obesity are likely to outweigh surgical risks. However, I've never had major surgery so can't help being nervous.

As for the necrosis complication, I have come across it in medical studies and seen a video diary of a woman who nearly died after surgery in Mexico. Sorry, didn't save the links, so can't post here without alot of effort. I'm not a medical person, but from what I understand, suspicion was that blood supply was cut off by stomach inflammation in combination with tight plication. Another suggestion was to do with distance between sutures and whether the plication was secured with one or two rows of sutures. To be honest, I wonder if they really know why it happens, just that it is very serious when it does.

But thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate the insight.

Very interesting thanks for sharing. Oh yes good luck x

Hello Emmten
I booked with BBC direct. Only because they gave me all the info I wanted and didnt push me into any particular procedure. I spoke with Nick who was very informative, called me several times to make sure I understood things etc. I was interested in the wrap, and that is what I have chosen. I have my surgery date confirmed, my itinery etc, now just waiting. Impatiently I might add. I think everyone has different experiences but I will let you know how mine goes!

Thanks Tracey, the very best of luck on your journey. I will watch your progress with interest. I have been reading posts from all the people going to Czech Republic and am still very interested. Various injuries are preventing exercise and I cannot imagine losing weight through diet alone. I usually do 8-10 hours a week when pain free, so I think I now need extra help to lose weight and hopefully stop the yoyo. Family are against, so I have promised to to try the 5:2 diet for the next couple of months. Strikes me as a better diet for general health and maintaining than losing a lot of weight, but we'll see.

What made you choose the wrap? I still can't decide between the wrap and sleeve.

Ps. I realise other people have booked with bbc and had no problems. I hope I haven't offended anyone by being critical of them. It's just my personal opinion. I guess it's just what feels right for the individual. X

Thanks Tracey, the very best of luck on your journey. I will watch your progress with interest. I have been reading posts from all the people going to Czech Republic and am still very interested. Various injuries are preventing exercise and I cannot imagine losing weight through diet alone. I usually do 8-10 hours a week when pain free, so I think I now need extra help to lose weight and hopefully stop the yoyo. Family are against, so I have promised to to try the 5:2 diet for the next couple of months. Strikes me as a better diet for general health and maintaining than losing a lot of weight, but we'll see.

What made you choose the wrap? I still can't decide between the wrap and sleeve.
Hi Emmten, I chose the wrap because it statistically has less complications than the sleeve. I was a bit nervous about cutting away part of a healthy organ. Results have shown it to be as good as the sleeve and results comparable to a bypass. It really is a matter of personal preference. If the wrap was unavailable I would have the sleeve! There has been amazing results from some wonderful people on here and as long as you are happy with your final choice that is all that matters. Good luck with whatever choice you make :)

Ps. I realise other people have booked with bbc and had no problems. I hope I haven't offended anyone by being critical of them. It's just my personal opinion. I guess it's just what feels right for the individual. X
Hi Jules, not offended at all lol.
I am happy with my choice. BBC didn't harass me, I found them helpful. I suppose its like most things depends who you get on the day! Dr Huby does sound lovely though :)
Good luck with the surgery Jules.

I chose to go with cosmetic bliss, as there are no extra charges if they have to keep you in for longer. I chose the sleeve because the part of the stomach they remove also removes the the part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin. If you have any question please dont hesitate to message me, good luck with whatever you decide :) x

Hi! To be honest I researched him online and got so much feedback from the ladies on here that by the time I emailed him I didn't even ask about how many he'd done etc. look on utube for gastric plication and you'll find lots of lovely Americans showing their amazing weight loss journeys. As its relatively new here there aren't many English ones yet. One of the threads on here gives details of his patient numbers etc, but I've always been a strong believer in recommendation. If the ladies on here have been happy with the service then that's good enough for me. I haven't found a single bad review. That's always a good sign!! Lol x

I also went with cosmetic bliss.. Wrapped end of may and lost 4 stone...

May have paid "over the odds" but you can't put a price on peace of mind..

I'm extremely happy with my decision.. Good luck with your journey xxx

I agree, cb may be more expensive than others out there but going with cb I'm really confident all will go to plan! I'm going next Sunday getting the sleeve, can't wait!!! Xxx

jrabbit81 said:
I agree, cb may be more expensive than others out there but going with cb I'm really confident all will go to plan! I'm going next Sunday getting the sleeve, can't wait!!! Xxx

I'm excited for you!!! Xxx

I'm back and I have been sleeved! I spent the whole time in the hospital and the care was fab!!! Bring on the weight loss!!!

Back