• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another newbie!

MadMat

Hi All,

Mat, mid 40's Taxi Driver from Essex here!

I found this forum while googling for more info on weight loss surgery. not quite sure what/if I'm going to do yet, but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that diet/exercise alone isn't going to get me where I need to be

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 4 years ago at around 29 stone in weight.

After 4 years of trying hard to lose through diet and exercise I'm still at 24 stone, although I reckon in my various attempts a relapses I've actually lost 11-12 stone and put 7-8 back on !!

I also have an umbilical hernia, which becomes very uncomfortable if I do anything more strenuous than a swim or gentle walk, which makes things even more difficult losing weight "naturally"

So I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I might need a bit more help!

hoping for advice from people in a similar situation

Mat

Well just called my GP for an appointment to discuss the possibility of surgery on the NHS. Can't see me until the 24th at the earliest!!

Considering the most help they've given me over the last 10 years has been a 1 week supply of Orlistat I'm not expecting much . . . . .

Mat

Hi Madcat

If you're not happy with what your GP say, get an appointment with a different one. The key thing is whether you've tried to lose weight via all the standard methods previously; if you have then they really should refer you to Tier 3 to get you on the next step to surgery. Especially as you clearly have co-morbidities.

hello and warm welcomes to you mad mat!

Welcome and Hi, I can't believe in Essex funding is an issue as its a bigger area then where I live. Sundowns right, I got three fob offs and then it took for me to see another dr about a totally unrelated illness and on the off chance ask, She referred me that day! Within a month I was on teir 3, six months on teir three ending July this year and I'm having a bypass Thursday! Keep on at them.

[QUOTE="beepbeepcat;2872482"I got three fob offs and then it took for me to see another dr about a totally unrelated illness and on the off chance ask, She referred me that day! Within a month I was on teir 3, six months on teir three ending July this year and I'm having a bypass Thursday! Keep on at them.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty much the same with me beep beep. My normal GP simply kept suggesting Orlistat pills which I refused to take. I kept pointing out that I had a history of weight issues going back to primary school when the very same GP surgery first referred me to a dietician. I had numerous attempts at losing weight on my medical files since then. It was actually me going to see a temporary GP at the surgery about my Achilles heel that got it moving. He mentioned my weight wasn't helping the injury I had to it and I pointed out that I have had weight issues since nine years old and that I had tried and failed to lose weight and keep it off many times. He had a quick look back through my files and said right away that he would refer me for weight loss surgery. True to his word he did.

I think some GPs have in built prejudices and simply think that you can do the weight loss on your own, even when your history shows categorically that you can't

Hi Mat - I was put on Orlistat and they didn't work for me at all. I looked into a sleeve on the NHS but couldn't cope with 2 years of jumping through hoops on the off chance of getting approved. I looked into loans for medical procedures - you'd be surprised how many are out there. But in the end got a loan from the bank and a contribution from my parents. I know I'm very lucky in that respect.

I had type 2 diabetes until I had the surgery - and am now diabetes free! I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and feeling amazing. The weight is dropping off and it's definitely the right solution for me.

I, too, have trouble with exercise as I have hyper-mobile knees which dislocate whenever they feel like it! But I'm sure that they'll prefer me not to be 24stone anymore!

Good luck with whatever you decide. There's lots of advice on this forum with people who are just starting out, just had surgery, or are many years down the road with amazing weight loss.

xxx

Are you all set for your WLS beep beep? Not many sleeps to go now is it!

Los in it, excited is how I feel...just trying to get a bit of cleaning done and making sure everything and everyone ok. I'm sleeping at night so I must be at peace with it. Cant bloody wait.

Well back again, decided to give myself a little thinking time over Xmas, and have decided to go for a Spatz balloon with NOSC

I really don't like the idea of surgery, and being self employed time off work is very expensive, so decided to try the most aggressive non-surgical weight loss aid I could find . . .

it's being fitted 3rd Feb. just waiting for the prep pack to arrive!!

Feeling rather nervous, never had any sort of medical procedure or sedative etc before!

Mat

Hi Mat not to sound negative but are you sure about the ballon as from what I've read people put it back on after removal and as someone who's had band Problems I can confirm this is what happened with me once the tool wasn't working Good luck anyway X

Yes, putting it back on again is a concern, but that's why I've gone for the 12 month one, to give me more time to change my bad eating habits.

Also I used to be a very sporty and active young person, I really feel that if I can lose enough to get the hernia fixed and get back into the Judo and other sports I used to love doing I might just be able to keep my weight stable on my own.

Mat

Getting rather scary now, huge package arrived today full of drugs and consent forms to fill in.

I hate paperwork !!!

Mat

Any moderators about ? I tried to post a thread in the "Other WLS procedures" forum, but It never appeared.

Anyhow I can confirm that have a balloon shoved down your gob feels "weird"

Mat

Any moderators about ? I tried to post a thread in the "Other WLS procedures" forum, but It never appeared. Anyhow I can confirm that have a balloon shoved down your gob feels "weird" Mat
glad it went well.

Back