• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie to the forum and to my 1 week old pouch!

Alexandra Nevermind

I do think it is all about fluids and healing in the first weeks, just trying not to get dehydrated, I'm sure you'll smash it x
Yes! Dehydration can bring on the dreaded urinary infections, if unlucky...

Awalsh90

congrats, I had mine on the 11/02/2019, so were not that different in time, I found the first week I lost less and I think that is due to general swelling, but mine picked up in weeks 2 & 3.
I cant stomach slimfast, so im mostly sticking to eggs for my protein at the moment, cant wait for next week when I start my mashable stage lol x

Alexandra Nevermind

How are you doing today?

jules2

Hello Awalsh - almost surgery twinnie! :D I'm on puree/blended stage now and finding it more difficult than the liquid one. I did quite enjoy the banana, chocolate and raspberry crush Slimfasts though and they are very neat to measure and log. Cooking my own chicken and lentil soup should have been good but it's horrible and grainy blended and trying to log it for protein and calories is a nightmare. How are you cooking your eggs, I should be on soft texture by Tuesday so looking for ideas. Well done on the fab weight loss and hope your journey has been smooth so far. Did you have a bypass too?

Awww, heya Alexandra - we sound very alike. I'm really looking forward to reading your diary, in fact you've inspired me to start my very own so I've posted my update today as the 2nd post in my diary. Having a few issues with lack of restriction and hunger and not being able to get enough calories into my bod if I stick to the guideline 4 tablespoons per meal. Still waiting for the dietician to phone me back but will be tomorrow now.

Awalsh90

Hi Jules2

Yes I had a Bypass, I cooked the eggs in scrambled in the pan, but now that I am on soft texture I also eat them done as an omelette with a pinch of cheese in. I hate the texture of blended chicken I found it always went grainy. I stopped eating anything with chicken in blended. I did it the cream of chicken soup and just missed the bits lol. I found protein a nightmare, I haven't been told to count mine officially, although I was told I need to eat a high amount, but I think once I am on normal foods I will start to check how much I am taking in.

Can I ask what vitamins you have been given, They have given my forcevel orange drink, which I am struggling with as a cant stand the taste.

jules2

Hello Awalsh, you've had fab weight loss - well done you!

Well we're a few further weeks down the bypass road now, both of us. Hope you're settling into the swing of it and getting to used to life with your pouch. You're so right about grainy blended chicken - vile stuff. Minced beef blended was fine though, given my puree stage again I'd just live on cottage pie and bolognese sauce. I'm eating Arla 20g Protein yogurts which have... yus 20g of protein! :D Also Siggy's Skyr is a smaller pot (150g I think) with 15g of protein. If I'm going to be under 80g of protein I have a For Goodness Shakes chocolate protein drink which is only 144 cals for 20g protein so "cheaper" than a Slimfast, though they don't taste great - I view them as necessary medicine ;). All these are available in Sainsbury's. I'm also using my small carb allowance to have things like chickpeas, lentils and quinoa along with lots of white fish and chicken which really boosts the protein level up. Just had a chicken breast with Moroccan harissa paste (v low in cals and a little goes a long way), chickpeas, red onion, red pepper and preserved lemon - it was lush, 337 cals and 47g of protein. I was using Vieve Protein Water drinks (20g protein) which are non milky but sadly it's collagen based protein so not as easily assimilated at whey isolate protein. I'm using MyFitnessPal to log both calories (800 a day limit given by my bariatric dietician) and protein.

How are you finding your restriction and do you still get hunger pangs? I'm feeling hunger far more than I thought I would but the restriction and 'stuck' feeling are kicking in now so that's providing a physical guide to stop eating far sooner that I used too with smaller portions. I'd have eaten two/three times the quantities before.

Vitamin-wise I'm taking 1 x Forceval multivitamin capsule and 210mg ferrous fumarate for iron in the morning, then in the evenings I take 2 x Adcal calcium with vitamin D3 chewable tablets which are yummy - like banana sweeties. I wasn't told to split them up but read that iron supplements negatively impact calcium absorption. Those three items are provided on prescription but I'm also taking 3 x Holland & Barrett Hair, Skin and Nails tablets with biotin in an attempt to try to avoid hairloss - may not work but at least I'm trying what I can along with eating 80g protein each day. I panicked just before my surgery because I read that people had to get the liquid version of their meds but my bariatric team at Derby had us all taking tablets the morning after surgery and nothing I've had except the Infacol (simethicone) for wind has been in liquid form. The Forceval are large but they are capsule shaped so easier to swallow - tip though - don't bite them - they burst very easily and taste foul! LOL Perhaps ask if you can try the capsules instead.