• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie (yes, yet another one)

NatashaJ

Hello folks,

Im just starting out on my weight loss surgery journey and would be grateful for any advice about what to expect.

I attended a WL seminar at North Tyneside Hospital in May and Im hopefully about to enrol on a 12 week weight loss programme called Lighent Up. I understand this is a mandatory requirement before WLS will be considered. Can anyone offer advice or share their experience? Im keen to know what waiting lists are like, both for the WL programme and surgery.

thanks xxx

I don't think that it is mandatory. It maybe in your area, but not everywhere. I am attending the Luton and Dunstable Hospital and it was never mentioned to me, and I am due to have my op on Thursday, so it's probably a bit late to do so now! Best of luck with your journey.

Chris

No not mandatory, most hospitals will require you to lose or at least maintain some weight prior to surgery and you will be required to do some form of liver reducing diet pre opp.
Good luck with your journey.

BigDave

Hi and Welcome NatashaJ, different hospitals require different commitments but all entail weight loss. Good Luck on your wls journey. I am sure someone else that is under North Shields will be along sooner or later to advise you x

Hi Natasha I'm through north Tyneside too. Yes we all have to do a weight management course but can't help with waiting times as I went to whyweight in byker . There is another lady called Louise on here who went to the one your going to attend. Then once complete you will be offered a nurse/diet app where you will be given a weight loss goal. Then app with the surgeon. Me and louise are at same stage both got are app with the nurse July. Mine was sept which would of been a 6 months wait but managed to get a cancelation ( ring and ask when app comes through if their is a cancelation worked for me yay ). Operation is normally 1 year - 18 months depending what checks you need ie sleep ap, phyk. Hope this helps x x x

yes it is mandatory in north tyneside as i went through the same at the lake side centre at killingworth on a thursday night i did what was expected of me and i did lost approx 1 stone it was fun and also got some good tips, but i ended up self funding and had it done at the nuffield with bariatric surgeon keith seymour he was so fantastic , i may have gotten nhs funding eventually but i couldnt wait, its the best thing ive ever done althought im only 3 wks post op and feel a bit bereft as that relationship i had with food is now gone although it was unhealthy i have to mourn the change, im never hungry and only eat pureed food at moment but in about 3 wks i will be eating normally again but smaller healthier portions, there is a monthly meeting at rake lane hospital on the 3rd tuesday of everymonth for anyone who has either gone through the process or in your case just starting, it is really good and worth attending its at 6.15 in the education centre good luck for the future love sally ann

Hiya am from north shields and went to the meetings at north Tyneside hospital they were horrible so I decided to go for it myself as I couldn't wait that length of tine for the nhs... am going to the Nuffield but it's the one in Leeds, which Nuffield were u at???

Gald u have no regrets

Haylz xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Natasha

I attended a Weightloss Program and my 12 weeks took me over Christmas. I lost over a stone which I thought was good going considering the time of year. I made a very consious effort not to buy things like mince pies, cheese, chocolate etc etc. I walked every day at lunchtime for half an hour even though they only asked me to walk two to three times per week. I even walked on a weekend in to town and back which would be about four miles. Then at the end of it all, they turned round and said that I didn't show much in the way of commitment (Shock - Horror) I was so upset. It sounds to me like it varies from each area as to what these programs are like, but attendance was mandatory for me. So long as you try your best and give it what you've got, then nobody can take that away from you. You are the one fighting your own battle, so go out and win it!!

Hi and welcome, every area has it's programmes and criteria as well as the pct guidelines I have yet to see two people doing exactly the same regime even if at the same provider. Each seem to have their own specific programme.

I got told the closest Nuffield was Leeds so am booked in there, awww mam wish I cud have had it at this one only few mins up coast road.

How u feel afterwards and everything hunnie xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks for the advice Suzie. I have an assessment appointment later today and not sure what to expect. I imagine its a health assessment before Im given a place on the 12 week programme but Ill find out in the next couple of hours. x

Thank you to all who took the time to drop me a line and for the good advice offered. Its great to know Im not on my own, especially when Im surrounded by people who have never had a weight problem and think the solution is to simply stop putting food in my mouth. Duh, why didnt I think of that! Hmm.

Welcome Natasha Im a pre op bander so I don't know much about anything at the moment but good luck in your journey xxx

Hello all,
My name is Anna & I'm on my 2nd month of pre-op dieting. So far I've lost about 13 lbs. I'm having the gastric bypass because I have a lot more than 13 lbs to go lol.

Back