• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Next step...

Hello there. I'm a newbie to the forum (posting wise - iv been stalking for years). Over the past few days I've made the final decision to get sleeved this year. I have been deciding to get it and changing my mind for the last 3 years but now decision is made. The only thing left to decide is the location. At the min im deciding between Mr Patel in London or spire in Manchester.

Have been overweight since i was 9. Currently sitting at 18 stone. Have tried it all - ww, sw, lipotrim, bootcamps, slimfast, calorie counting - all eith short term success. After i decide to get surgery i always then think - wait, i can definitely do this myself. Just have to eat less and exercise more - simple. Doesnt ever work out tho.

I'm sick of having no energy, always being too warm, clothes not fitting, worrying about plane seatbelts/rollercoaster belts, worrying that someone in the street will call me fat, not wantinb pics taken, worrying about my health/fertity, embarrassment of doctors telling me to lose weight, joint pain etc etc. could ramble on about this for ages.

However, I am terrified of this surgery and most worried about;
1. Complications during op
2. Affordability
3. Post op complications esp long term ones as theres currently not a lot of long term data for the sleeve
4. Constipation
5. The postop pain
6. Going back to work after op (theyre only giving me 2 weeks at most)
7. The permanancy of it and will i regret it?

Sorry for the rant there. Just needed to vent a bit.

Thanx,
Jane

Hello makingachange246
well done in sharing your concerns regarding your fears I guess its normal to have worries when your planning on making such a massive life change but like you said your fed up of life been the way it is and you have tried to change and its not working for you.All I can say is do your research ask away on here if anyone as had issues with any/all of your above and how it was overcome but remember everyone is different
all the very best

Hi Jane
I had a sleeve private in August 2014 and havent looked back.
In terms of your worries, thankfully my op went well, no issues, no major pain and no wind thank god.
I got home and had 3 weeks off work in all, resting and recovering. I then went back to work, I was a bit tired by the end of the day but that was all.
The liquid and puree stage passed quickly and so far I have tolerated most foods well. Its trial and error. I am managing about 700 calories a day on average and no longer have the hunger or the interest in food. Yes the enjoyment of eating has also gone but a small price to pay.
Straight after surgery i did think oh god what have I done but I think thats quite common, after about a month this soon passed and now I think I wish I had done it sooner.

As for long term side effects we will have to see..I know some WLS patients regain weight, mostly from bad food choices over time. As for malnutrition I know this is less than a bypass.
For me the obesity related illnesses were more of a worry, high blood pressure, heart attack etc.

So yes, get well informed ask the questions and if its for you go for it.

You sound like me. I also really worry about the long term effects of WLS and it will be something I bring up with surgeon.

Back