• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

nhs budgets/new financial year?

pmkmrm

hi can anyone help me with my query?
i know all nhs pct's work differently when it comes to funding.
i live in brighton and when i went to see my gp last july early aug to ask him to refer me he did a central refferal? anyway i recieved a letter form the central refferal team to say that they had passed my referral onto to the bariatric team for assessment in chicester. i am curruntly waiting to hear from chi for my 1st appoint should be around april time. i was told that st r. apply 1st for ur consulation then if ur wls is agreed by surgeon they need another 5/6 months to apply for funding for op,
my question is: is the funding still in place? my gp applied 08 but i wont be seen for initial consultation till end april 09 this is a new finacial yr will the money still be in kitty so to speak. will it be taken over into new finicail yr? hope this makes sence to someone out there.
thanks kate xxx :eek:

Sorry can not help Kate but that sounds like a right rigmaroll. Someone will prob have an answer for you

you could ring your gp and ask them for advice or ring the pct direct and say thay funding was approved last year but you are yet to see the consultant will you funding still stand in the next financial year?

i live in chichester and i had referal oct o7 funding was given about a month or so later i had consultation in march 08 and op sept 08 best bet is to ring either your gp or the bariatric unit and ask

Good point Kate. I'd be interested to know what you find out. I would have thought that once funding has been agreed, its in the budget and is accounted for even if you have the surgery in a new financial year? I also believe that if your GP says funding has been approved, then its meant for the whole procedure - consultation and surgery. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi, my funding was approved october08,but when i found out the waiting list for st Richards chichester was so longggg,i was worried about how long my funding would last so i rang my pct that granted me the funding and was told once you have been granted and approved fundinng you will continue to have it until whenever you do or do not have the operation no matter how long it takes, you cant loose it once you got it just through time on waiting.
i hope this helps orchid xx

Hi all,
interesting thread. I too am waiting for my first appointment at St Richards for a bypass - after reading comments are you not guaranteed to get the wls after the 1st consultation? what can the complications be?
Also does anyone know what happens at the first consulation - it would be good to know what to expect .. if I ever get my appointment!

Thanks
Lucylou

thanks everyone lucylou i think it was surenitylove who posted a brilliant thread on wha tto expect when u go to see surgeoan/st rich for 1st cosulation.
just phoned the place that wrote to me so say i have been referred! spoke to a lovely lady but she didnt know if the letter they sent out means i am funded or not!!! she is going to phone the appropriate people and get back to me. god i think i will scream if it turns out im not funded afterall and i have wasted 6 months sitting here!!!!
mind u i think i must be i emailed christine bigg the sectrary for the baractric unit at st richards on monday to see if she could tell me when i am going to be seen. she emailed back that i am on the system and it shouldnt be much longer now i should recieve my app soon. mind u i think her soon is april/may thats what they said in jan hopefully they have caught up as she told me they didnt have much of a clinic or ops in dec so are behind also they have taken on other counties. this is worst than waitng for exams results or wiating to see if u have got the mortgage etc, i hate waiting!!!!! once i make a decsion i want to go for it!
oooh i wish she would phone me back didnt ask her if it would be today josh ark at me i tell u once u decide to have wait loss surgery u while u r waiting u become obsessed u live and breathe wls if im not looking at threads, researching the op, talking everybody into complete boredom with my options hopes dreams and when i am thin i will wear this game hehe i need to get me life back hehe

Thanks for that Kate, i'll have a search for that thread.
I know what you mean about wls taking over .. i have too become obsessed with wls, thinking about it constantly, hoping to see that appointment letter everyday when i get home from work, checking the threads constantly to see if anyone else has had dates yet so I can compare when i might get mine!!

update email christine bigg at st rich's she say yes i have funding and shouldnt be much longer for my app to come through, so pleased now i want to know does yes to funding mean the funding for the consulation and the yes funding for op are in place? i think they must be otherwise i wouldn't have benn referred to st rich's in first place , think i ma panicing because i have made my mind up and am desparate to actullay know i will lose the weight and even more impotant i will keep it off. lucylou when were u referred to st rich's? i was refereed early aug 08
thanks everyone
kate x

Hi Kate, good to hear the waiting is almost over!!! I'm about the same time as you so we could end up room buddies! Interestingly enough, cos of the long waiting list at St Richards, I looked on the National Obesity website to see if other hospitals in the area do the surgery and found Tunbridge Wells and Ashord do. Is it because they are in a different county (Kent as opposed to Sussex) that funding wasn't applied to them. For me, Tunbridge Wells is just as easy to get to as Chichester. Any ideas?

Just a thought - does anyone else whose on the NHS waiting list get paranoid from reading other people's posts, that other people seem to be getting seen quicker than they are - a bit like queue jumping? Anyone I see that is waiting to hear from St Richards, I worry they may get seen before me!!!!

spileyjacee
ur last post has made me laugh i am like the green eyed monster hehe i am usually so laid back but when it comes to wls and wiating time i am like u. it is driving me nuts when i phoned chi in jan i was told i would recieve app around end of march but may be april/may.
when were u referred?
i think with regards to ur other question my guess is it is cos of being in other county. mind u st rich's take on seven counties? anyway it does look like we are going to the best hospital for wls except for the blasted wait!!!!! on another forum i read of a lady who has only just been referred and she has been told she will have to wait 7/8 months for inititial consultation. it would be grt if we were on the ward together
love kate xx

I was finally refered mid October. Long story .. I asked my Gp in Feb 08 who wrote to the PCT who said i would have to try other ways to loose weight (like I hadn't done that already) for a year. I was referred to the dieticians at St Richards and was seen there a few times. I then had a call from my GP beginning of Oct who told me that the PCT had contacted her to tell her I was allowed the funding as she had forgotten to BMI on the letter!! If sh had done this in the first place i would have probably been having my op now! According to my GP, st richards had re-gone threw all the applications as they had spare spaces - and realised that i must have a high BMI (which i do!!). Seems hard to beleive with this waiting list that they had 'spaces'.

Anyway, the letter I received in October said approx 6 months for 1st appointment, i had a call about 2 weeks ago from the hospital to see if i was still interested (hell yeah!!!!).

Anyway that is where I am up to now.... still waiting!

Hi Kate. I was referred end of July 08 and like lucylou received a phone call a few weeks ago asking if I was still interested and they would pass my details to Appointments. Hard to believe they have 'spaces'. Does this mean we might just get lucky and get in early??? Fingers, legs, toes, eyes crossed etc......!!!

I WANT A PHONECALL!!!!! if you have recieved a phonecall and you were july 08 maybe me being aug 08 i will get a call soon maybe my email from christine bigg saying i should recieve an app soon wasnt a fob off and was actually true!! god this is worse than being in love, etc... i am fine with the wait to have yhe op i Just want to be bl**dy SEEN!!!!!!! and know what op will be offered to me. sorry girls im ranting. it is so nice to talk to u (spikeyjaycee and lucylou) we r roughly around the same time. lucylou have u had ur initional assessnment r u waitng for ur pre op? im a bit confused? if ur waitng fir the op part what are u going for? you can be our guinea pig we will propbably drive u crazy hehe.
take care girls
love kate xxxxxx

definately a bypass, my bmi is very high so this will be the best option, GP thinks that is what they will think is best too. which are you going for?

i started off wanting the band lots of reasons safty my hubbie wanted me to have that one etc.. the doc did my refferal as a band but i know a few people who once they had the consultation went for the bypass. now as time has gone on and the amout of research i have covered i think the bypass is the op they will offer and the one i will go form my bmi is 49/50 i ahve gained a stone since las t aug!!!! i fell soooo uincomfortable and my back is killing me!! going to have to try to lose a stone just to stop my back from huting so much never easy diets are they. take care love kate xx

Back