• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS funding for plastic surgery after WLS

judybrowneyes

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the gorgeous day today!!. my question is do the PCT require everyone who applies for nhs funding for plastics after massive weight loss require a psychological assessment? reason why I ask is i am hopefully going to have surgery at a different hosptial to where i had my WLS as I have Lymphodema/Lipodema i wanted to be under st georges where my Lymphodema consultant is based as he refereed me to their plastic surgeon. They have not arranged a psychological assessment so was wondering is it always necessary anyone had funding agreed without one? I just dont want then to turn me donw on a technicality and i have no problem going to yet another appointment... also with commissioning seaming to be in a transitional stage has anyone had funding agreed lately in London? Hugz Jude

Hiya

I'm under St Georges and didnt have to have a psych consultation. However, I know of others under the same hospital who did have to. Perhaps it depends on the case put forward by your GP?

Which consultant at St Georges will you be under?

Debs x

Mr Soldin he was so nice and made me feel so comfortable and feels i would benefit from body contouring surgery who are you under and how far are you with the process?

I'm under Miss Milroy. Funding approved and was originally booked in for tomorrow but decided to postpone till September because of a pre-booked holiday in July. Your consultant sounds lovely.

Debs xx

He is great made a very uncomfortable situation re the examination not as bad as i thought.....although he suggested far more surgery than i had initially thought ....oh well we shall have to see... so where are you going for your holidays? could i also ask how long after getting funding approved did they set a surgery date for you? hugz J

Hi Judy

I applied for funding for abdominoplasty in September last year which was agreed in January. I saw the consultant for the first time in March and had to invite a pre-op and seminar in May. The surgery was originally supposed to be tomorrow so all in all it was around six months. The surgery will be a regular TT rather than FDL or other.

I'm off to Majorca next month and can't wait for the break! The holiday is with friends as well as my hubby and son so didn't want to jeopardise it for anyone with any post-op complications which I might end up with. Possibly being over-cautious but it was with other people in mind rather than myself. It's frustrating to wait because of the problems I'm having but c'est la vie!

Debs xx

Hi Debs, thanks for sharing your journey to getting your TT agreed....I agree with you its best to wait till after your holiday as a month is too soon to travel i would think, I went to see my GP who was very supportive he said he had not had to make an application for funding before but said he would find out what to do and get it done next week...so fingers and good toes crossed. so was the pre op seminar useful? Jude x

It's certainly odd how different hospitals and even different GP's work. I had to write my own application for funding stating why I felt I needed it. The letter had to include photos before and after weight loss and a picture of my excess tummy skin (which took me ages to summon up the courage to take...yuk!). My GP then wrote a supporting letter and sent it all off.

The seminar was definitely useful. We were told exactly what to expect and in particular what can go wrong, such as uneven scars, dog-ears and wound breakdown. It wasn't designed to put people off, simply to make sure they are not naive about what to expect.

I hope the ball is rolling for you really soon.

All the best!

Debs xxx

Thanks Debs will keep you posted,,,,, thankfully i wll be away for 10 days next sunday so less time to dwell on it .....good lord I hope the sun comes back soon sick of this rain lol

Good luck

I see you also had surgery at st georges. Im currently waiting for surgery was told yesterday should have my date within 4 weeks but wont be for 5 months ;-( still i can see the light at the end of the tunnel x

Post weight loss surgery

Hi there sorry to piggy back your post
i have lost over 17 st and got referred for 3 operations for skin removal - the surgons said i do not qualify because i do not have Intertrigo - i wont be avvepted even though i have lost all this weight. i dont know if i can afford surgery myself - can anyone help me here - or even help me appeal this?

Back