• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Funding query

phatmomma

Hi everyone, i've just rejoined this fab resource after being a member almost 6 years ago whilst researching wls & subsequently waiting/having my surgery in June 2010.

Anyway i was just wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is for getting funding for plastics on the nhs. I took advantage of a free consultation with a private plastic surgeon last week to discuss thighs/arms/tummy tuck - i'm not ready for it yet as i am trying to lose my last chunk of weight.

Anyhow the surgeon said i need a full body lift. Has anyone got experience of getting funding for this procedure on nhs & can anyone share knowledge on criteria etc....

Really appreciate all you can share either from your own experience or hearsay.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Caroline jess

I didn't think the nhs funded any plastics for aesthetic purposes unless the left over skin caused sores and recurring infections and things. Please let us know if your doctor tells you differently I'm sure there are lots of us who would be banging our gp's doors down!

violetangel

I didn't think the nhs funded any plastics for aesthetic purposes unless the left over skin caused sores and recurring infections and things. Please let us know if your doctor tells you differently I'm sure there are lots of us who would be banging our gp's doors down!

I was told the same but maybe things are changing because my team have said that they're in talks about it as we speak. Watch this space!!

Tori.

Hi,
I'm now 2 weeks on the waiting list for my surgery and currently in tier 4 after doing tier 3! I have had to sign to say I understand that surgery for loose skin isn't an nhs option after my surgery and they have mentioned it at all of my appointments! As though they are drumming it into me for after I have lost my weight! I presume it's so that there are no loop holes! I did my tier 3 in Kent where I live and have chosen to do tier 4 and have surgery with Luton and Dunstable hospital! Not sure if this is a consistent thing now or just with the hospital I chose! Everywhere is so different with timelines etc so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't consistent countrywide! Xx

Andy74

Each trust is different. Here is Derbyshire they will do it if your loose skin is causing other issues i.e. Mental health issues, sore, mobility issues.
The other criteria is your weight has been stable for 2 years & your bmi is less than 30.