• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS op, how long from referal to Op?

Leopard_Pagan

Evening all.
i have just lost 5.5st since April on Cambridge Diet, i am 1lbs away from "normal" BMI! the first time in my life!
no kids so no muscle damage but have been left with extra skin, jodhpurs, wings and saggy belly button!
2 months ago i saw a new GP (one is useless) as i have an issue with one of my floating ribs..... & to ask about surgery after the weight loss.
I know that each PCT is a lottery & expecting to be declined.
The GP said that two cases will get you referred.
1) medical reasons..
2) rapid weight loss.
i fall under the second, i asked her what the average wait is, what should i do meanwhile, she didnt know apart from just maintain while waiting; which i intend to do!
end of last month i went for my DEPO and the nurse didnt recognise me :) i asked her about it and she told me that surgeons are more sympathetic to people who have lost weight them selves to gastric banding (which i dont agree with). so this kinda gets my hopes up a little...

i have now 2 referrals, one for all my wisdom teeth to be removed (31yr old!) & now this. i had a letter from the hospital for an appointment, i panicked! it didnt give any hint to which one it was! i phoned the hospital who told me.. dental...! which has taken almost 5 months!

i guess my main question is....
How long have you waited from being referred to getting your appointment?

oooooh if i had a pound for everytime the how long question had been posted i would be soooo rich xx
It depends on your PCT hun i was 6 months from referal to op and my PCT is Blackpool, all areas have thier own money.
If you put your PCT up someone will be able to help you more xxx
Good luck on your journey xx

I waited about 14 months xx good luck xx

my PCT is Suffolk... West Suffolk.
lol i had guessed it has been asked before. search didnt really give too much info as most were Banders or Mums with tums.

i had my surgery within 10 months but my daughter is still waiting for hers because of cancellations, we started at the same time (Jan 2009).

In my PCT you have to maintain the weight loss for 2 years before they will even consider you for plastics.

I'm in Nottinghamshire but was referred to Derby and had my op in Leeds!!! It took about 18months from start to finish.

Well worth the wait !

cheers guys, i did find the your PCT thread & found Suffolk.
a few years out of date but same info that i know so far. doesnt mention maintainance time. my doc just told me to maintain all the while i was waiting.
i need to phone her in a weeks time so will ask her then if there is an update.

Back