• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nhs funding and questions

Daniel33

Hi all. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?

I was referred to the hospital by my gp because I have an umbilical hernia. By chance, the surgeon I went to see is a bariatric surgeon, and he said he could fix the hernia but he was more concerned with my weight and asked me to consider bariatric surgery. He briefly explained about tier 3 seminars and said if I wanted to go ahead to ask my gp for a referral.

After some thought I contacted my gp and asked to be referred. He said ok, and would refer me within a week or so. I'm not sure what to expect now though. Is this funded by the nhs? As a bit of background, I am 33, bmi of 42, live in Darlington, tried slimming world twice, weight watchers twice, calorie counting countless times, Atkins diet, four personal trainers at various gyms, sibutramine (years ago when docs prescribed it), orlistat from gp twice, slim fast etc etc. The only time I lost a decent amount of weight was extreme calorie restriction.

Are these the kind of things that will work for or against surgery? I am worried that I am investing a lot of hope into this and it will be denied :(

Thanks all

I'm very new to all of this but it sounds as though you qualify for NHS funding. I saw my GP who referred me to the tier 3 weight management programme which I've just recently started and in my area it's a two year programme I believe.

At Luton and Dunstable their 3 is either 6 months or 1 year depending on BMI andbor co-morbidities. Good luck

Back