• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Referral

Lincs Lass

I was wondering if anybody had had an NHS gym referral?

I believe you get 12 weeks at reduced rates with them keeping more of an eye on you than if you just join the gym 'normally'?

I know they do equipment orientation when you first join a gym anyway but I need that extra 'human' support to hide behind to even get me through the door!

I have an appointment to see my GP on Wednesday week and i am going to ask him for a referral and hope that because my BMI is still in the obese range that he can do it.

I have. I was given a list of gyms in my area that supported the programme. They each had their own set of guidelines. Some would allow to use the gym whenever you liked, while others asked that you go at off peak times . Some of them only allowed you to use a small section of the gym while others gave you full access. Once you have applied once, you cannot apply again apparently.

Best of luck.

Hi lincs lass, I have had a gp referral since February.. I'm from sheffield so not sure how similar it will be for you where you are. I was referred to something called zest for life, they called me and asked me if I wanted to do a 12 programme where I went walked in a group once a week, get discounted prices at their centre or be referred to Sheffield international venues. I asked for the latter. I then was put on another list and eventually went to meet the go referral trainer, I paid £52 for a 3 month membership for unlimited days, evenings and weekends. There was also the option of £3.30 per day. And I now get corporate discounted rate which is £8 discount per month I think... Something I learned for a friend too, is if you go into you local gym, or one in town and ask if they deal with gp referrals, if they do ask for a form, then your doctor can then fill it in for you, and you can hand it back into the gym personally... Hope this helps... Kirsty

Hi Lincs - yes I did something called Active Lifestyles some years ago. It was specific sessions at the community gym (shared with general public), and supervised by the same trainer each week who kept an eye on us, tweaked our programmes as necessary, pushed us when we needed it, etc. We were all different abilities. It was useful. With a life-long history of sport, dance and fitness (inc gym 7 days a week for many years) but throughout being morbidly obese, I can say it was fine. I had to ask the GP for it ... And I took the trainer by surprise with my knowledge and ability. I would say give it a try - gym life is not for everyone. I find it monotonous, and irritating if others are hogging the machines I need to use - I want to be in and out with the most effort in the least time. You could say I suffer from mild gym-rage! Lol!! xx

Thank you very much everyone for your replies x

I think our area offers the same 'style' as Lilac's.

Ir definitely sounds like the sort of thing I need. After all, my weight may have dropped off but it doesn't mean I'm any fitter so I am definitely going to be fluttering my eyelashes at the GP.

Thank you for that xx

My local centre is the very first one mentioned and they said as long as the GP is happy to refer me they will be happy to take me on.

Back