• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise - Key to My Success

Mark01/05/2009

On my way................
Hi Guys and Gals..........

I have talking to a few pre oppers recently and they have frequently asked what I think the key to my success has been...

I will hold my hands up and say that I dont have the best diet. I dont eat as much protein as I should, I eat too many carbs and I still enjoy the odd glass or bottle of wine ;-)

I eat out alot and have a starbucks skinny sugar free hazelnut extra hot wet latte every day.....

But i have still lost 9 stone in just over 6 months and thats down to how much I exercise.....

My weekly routine is.....

Sunday - Run - Get up at 7am and run as far as I can... normally about 2 miles, I then walk and run as far as I can again, i then turn around and walk back to my last point that i started running at and run the rest of the way home.....

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Box Fit Class as Total Fitness - This is a fantastic cardio work out and it builds fantastic strength using boxing and thai boxing punching and kicking techniques. You dont have to be Bruce Lee to do it and all fitness levels are accomodated for.... Plus its a great way to relieve stress....

Wednesday - AM - Personal Trainer Session - This is the hardest hour of my week. He nails me to the ground but in a positive, fun and enjoyable way.... If anyone around the Manchester area wants a good personal trainer, i would recommend mine, his motivation is fantastic and he really knows his stuff....

Wednesday - PM - Another Box Fit class.

Thursday - Spinning Class - This is where you are sat on a static bike and you cycle to the music and increase and decrease the force you cycle against! Its the best cardio work out you can get and is alot of fun....

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Get up at 6.30am and go swimming for 1 hour, stopping as little as possible......

So....

Theres my schedule, I train 6 times a week and do 5 different things so i never get bored.....

I know some people will say "I havent got time" but each one of the sessions i do takes around an hour and i am back home, showered, changed and smelling fresh within 2 hours....

Exercising isnt about spending 4 hours at a time in a gym, your body gets the best work out from short, sharp, hard sessions....

I would urge allllll pre oppers to join a gym that offers classes, i know they can be intimidating, but once you have been once or twice, you will feel right at home and the benefits are huuuuuge :)

Mark xxx

Hi Mark

I think I will keep your advise in mind when it comes to me exercising after surgery. I was going to join a gym but was not sure if they would take into consideration my size and the operation I had had but from what you have said it sounds like they do.

Great post Mark. How soon after your op did you begin exercising, and did you build up gradually to the amount you are doing now, or did you just go for it right from the start?

Great advice and info Mark thanks. I definately agree the absolute key is exercise as the more muscle you add the better you burn fat and it stokes the metabolism. I love exercise but due to my weight I do get a bit nervous about pushing myself and sometimes I feel a bit reluctant to get off my bum and get started. How did you tackle the moments when you had little motivation or did you just force yourself to do it?
Well done you have transformed so much of yourself and lifestyle, hope I can follow suit!

Thanks for the advice Mark. Not sure that I will be joining the gym as my work hours can be rather eratic but I have a treadmill, recumbant bike, air walker, wii fit and loads of exercise dvds at home, so I will make sure that I do use those for the means intended, rather than just somewhere to hang my clothes for example..lol. I would also like to know how long after your operation that you began exercising and what you started with at first?

By the way do you know any good toning exercises??

Many thanks
Lorna

Totally agree Mark, I do spinning, step and pump and walk my dogs and when I keep them up the weight loss continues. I've had 5 days off due to illness in the last week and a couple of pounds has crept back on so it just goes to show....

I started exercising really gently 4 weeks post op. Started with swimming and brisk walking and have built it up and up.....

Toning Exercises - SQUATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - The 'Right' Way To Do Squats

Watch that video on how to do them. They work the stomach, bum, hamstrings, glutes and calves. They look easy and you feel a bit silly doing them at first but oh my god do they work.

Once you have built up your fitness levels you can start adding weights into them by holding something heavy.

You can do these in your own home and they cost £0

I do 100 every morning and 200 before i go to bed every night, i do them as fast as I can and it feels great after and I have lost sooooooo many inches from my thighs and bum by doing these.

Hi Mark

Thanks for the tip and video for the squats. I will definatly give them a go once I can watch the video,but for some reason Utube is telling me my flash player needs updated or java is switched off, which is rubbish so I need to investigate. I think I may even give them a little go before my surgery, I might not manage many but something has to be better than nothing.

Many thanks and well done on your weightloss so far you are looking great.

Lorna x

Well Mark, I have now sorted the laptop and been able to view the video. I have given the squats a go but with my excess weight my balance is not great and getting back up once squatting proved a little difficult. So hubby had the fab idea of placing a dining chair either side of me to hold onto and what a difference it made. I dont think I will manage 300 a day just yet but if I can do 20 or 30 and start increasing I will be happy. You can really feel the pull on your thighs!

Thanks again for the tip

Lorna x

Wow Mark, how fab have you done so far?!
Well done, you deserve a great weight loss with all the effort you put in. I am tired just reading what you do lol!
Great stuff!

I agree with ya Mark, I have a personal trainer here in Leeds but when I move back to Manchester I will be hitting you up for the name of your bloke!
x

No worries Bex - He is fantastic and worth every penny!! When are you moving up here?

I have to agree, i started to exercise around 2 weeks after my op and do around three hours mixed per week, however at nearly 44 and after spending so many years overweight i find my fitness levels far outweigh what my joints will let me get away with :(

Back