• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS v Private. Who tries hardest?

slaz

As I have posted on here before nobody apart from my wife knows that I have had surgery, but coming from a family of fatties the subjects of dieting and WLS are sometimes discussed. At a recent family get together the question was raised "would someone try harder to make it work if they paid privately or if they were funded by the NHS?
From reading the many posts on here it is clear that the NHS route is not at all straight forward and many hoops have to be jumped through before arriving at the operating theatre. The private route is clearly much simpler, you simply choose your provider, pay your money and fix a date suitable to you. However, raising the sort of money required can involve much hardship and sacrifice which may have more lasting effects than a NHS waiting list.
I am aware that this question may open a can of worms but what does everyone think?

It may indeed open a can of worms, which is not what this forum is about.

We have a pretty equal split between NHS and private patients and we strive to offer mutual support to all.

As I have posted on here before nobody apart from my wife knows that I have had surgery, but coming from a family of fatties the subjects of dieting and WLS are sometimes discussed. At a recent family get together the question was raised "would someone try harder to make it work if they paid privately or if they were funded by the NHS?
From reading the many posts on here it is clear that the NHS route is not at all straight forward and many hoops have to be jumped through before arriving at the operating theatre. The private route is clearly much simpler, you simply choose your provider, pay your money and fix a date suitable to you. However, raising the sort of money required can involve much hardship and sacrifice which may have more lasting effects than a NHS waiting list.
I am aware that this question may open a can of worms but what does everyone think?
I don't think that your question is an open and shut case of whom tries the hardest whether going by the private route or the NHS route . I would like to think that everyone puts in 100% in either going private or otherwise . We all hope for the same and strive for the goal that we aspire to . If someone goes private there is the battle of ones conscience as to whether the money is better spent on the kids , mortgage , etc and if its funded then you have the heartache of waiting so long for approval personally I believe the 2 routes are the same it needs the same amount of effort to achieve the end goal . We are in it to win it what ever route we go down . You didn't say what your thoughts were ?

The person who gets the most out of their op. ultimately doesn't matter how they paid, or what their start weight was or who did their op. it's down to the individual.

I agree with the others, whether you pay or the NHS pays it is a decision that hasn't been taken lightly.

If you make the op work for you does it matter?

Back