• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private to NHS ... mixed blessing??xx

tango

I started this process as a private patient but when I saw Shaw Somers in June he said that I should apply for funding as my case is complicated and he was nervous of doing the op privately as I might need a longer stay in hospital.

Anyway my Dr's have recieved news that my funding as been approved and that I still can go to St Richards. I suppose that I should be really happy that I dont have to spend the money anymore, (money I got as a payment for a critical illness last year from my life insurance), but actually I am quite tearful as I had geared myself up for surgery.

I have just got off the phone to St Richards in Chichester where I was supposed to be going for my pre-assessment tommorrow with surgery on the 8th September(private). They gave me the option of continuing as a private patient with these dates or moving to the NHS pathway at the beginning. I did the sensible thing and chose the NHS route which means that I am at the beginning of the 18 week pathway route.

I know that many of you have waited a considerable longer time than this and I am a bit embarrased that I am having a tearful winge but I cant help it ... I am feeling dissapointed and relieved all at the same time. I will be able to get my head around this better once I have got dates for the NHS assessment side of things.

Please give me a kick and tell me that I am a very lucky person....I have done the right thing, havent I?

Tanya x :wave_cry:

you ve absolutly done the right thing sweetpea! 18 weeks will fly by! what with all your tests etc and a bonus you saved some pennies!! hope your feeling bit better soon.... x

Thanks Kelly, what a winger I am.

I always think it helps to put things in perspective when you right things down.

I am already feeling better and ungrateful....xx I will now have a positive attitude. x

Just think, the 18 weeks will fly by and after your surgery and weight loss you will be able to afford lots of lovely clothes and a nice holiday!

Organise to do something for the day on your original surgery date, a day out with friends or something exciting just to take your mind off things.

Fingers crossed you get your new date very soon and can begin your countdown. x

ooooo dont feel ungrateful hun!! i to would be gutted as you were due to start getting ready for your op tomorrow.... its what were all waiting for... BUT i think it speaks volumes when a private surgeon is advising to go down the nhs route, dont forget he s prepared to lose out on the cost of that op so thats one way to look at it, showed you had a very decent surgeon who wasnt just in it to get your money!!!!

hope your feeling more positive and dont forget you ve got the company of us ugly lot hahhahahahaha to keep you going xxx

Just think, the 18 weeks will fly by and after your surgery and weight loss you will be able to afford lots of lovely clothes and a nice holiday!

Organise to do something for the day on your original surgery date, a day out with friends or something exciting just to take your mind off things.

Fingers crossed you get your new date very soon and can begin your countdown. x

What a brilliant idea...I think that I will plan a lovely day out with a friend. Thanks x Its not long to wait after all ... we have all spent a lifetime waiting so far! x

ooooo dont feel ungrateful hun!! i to would be gutted as you were due to start getting ready for your op tomorrow.... its what were all waiting for... BUT i think it speaks volumes when a private surgeon is advising to go down the nhs route, dont forget he s prepared to lose out on the cost of that op so thats one way to look at it, showed you had a very decent surgeon who wasnt just in it to get your money!!!!

hope your feeling more positive and dont forget you ve got the company of us ugly lot hahhahahahaha to keep you going xxx

Well now that is a blessing.....xx

I'll be able to afford all of the nips and tucks after now so that will be something else I can look forward to.

I think that my surgeon does seem a really decent sort. I should still be able to have him as apparently he is the one who does all the complicated surgerys at St Peters....so horray..

Hey no wonder you're tearfull, like you say you had got yourself all geared up ready for a big opperation and it didn't happen, BUT, thank goodness eh? Of course you have done the right thing, you said yourself even the doctor was worried!!

18 weeks does seem a lot, but i'm sure you will find that they will fly for you, plus you know you are in safe hands if you need that extra care.

Even better you get to spend all that money on a holiday for you to show your fab new figure off!!
All the very best to you and good luck for the future hunni xxxx

I agree, you did the right thing in waiting for the NHS route. The 18 weeks will fly by and will give your head a chance to get into the right groove. Take the time to prepare yourself for the changes, try and lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter. It will pay dividends in the long term. Good luck sweetie. xx

Hey no wonder you're tearfull, like you say you had got yourself all geared up ready for a big opperation and it didn't happen, BUT, thank goodness eh? Of course you have done the right thing, you said yourself even the doctor was worried!!

18 weeks does seem a lot, but i'm sure you will find that they will fly for you, plus you know you are in safe hands if you need that extra care.

Even better you get to spend all that money on a holiday for you to show your fab new figure off!!
All the very best to you and good luck for the future hunni xxxx

Thanks so much.

I bet you are really excited (terrified) now, only a few days left of the waiting game....x

:)

Hi Tango

Im very impressed that Shaw Somers recommended the NHS route rather than just taking your money, that really is refreshing to hear.

As the others have said those 18 weeks will fly by, if my dates are right you will be all done and dusted by Christmas and can look forward to a slimmer 2011 summer!

Take care x

Tango you read my mind hunni, lol, I'm more excited at the moment, but get me to Sat night (i have to go in at 7am on Sunday) i will be a big sloppy mess, resembling what some might regard as a swamp monster, masscara running down my face, tears in my hair, piggy sized eyes coz i've been crying that much, ha beautiful!! xxxx

You have done the right thing but i can understand when you are all geared up for your op and it gets put back it can be frustrating! 18 weeks will fly by and as you say you will be able to pay for all the nips and tucks not to mention a great celebration of a lovely "thinner" holiday and a whole new wardrobe! Big hugs x

it was after paying for a private consultation with Shaw Somers that he told me i would be eligable for NHS funding and wrote to my GP saying he should request it too.

They are a great team at Chichester and youw ill be in good hands :D

Seems Mr Somers is not only a legend in the surgery department but a blooming decent guy too :)

18 weeks will soon pass by for you, i found once i got on the waiting list that just ignoring the calendar was the best thing to do. Take your mind away from dates and just try and enjoy your life while you wait :)

As someone else said, the money you saved will pay for any nips & tucks you need after.. Good luck with your journey xx

Tango you read my mind hunni, lol, I'm more excited at the moment, but get me to Sat night (i have to go in at 7am on Sunday) i will be a big sloppy mess, resembling what some might regard as a swamp monster, masscara running down my face, tears in my hair, piggy sized eyes coz i've been crying that much, ha beautiful!! xxxx

K8y bear - I look like that all the time....lol I am really pleased for you and will be thinking of you at the weekend. xx

I agree, you did the right thing in waiting for the NHS route. The 18 weeks will fly by and will give your head a chance to get into the right groove. Take the time to prepare yourself for the changes, try and lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter. It will pay dividends in the long term. Good luck sweetie. xx

Thanks, your right 18 weeks really isnt that long to wait. I probably will do well with the extra time for getting my head sorted...xx

it was after paying for a private consultation with Shaw Somers that he told me i would be eligable for NHS funding and wrote to my GP saying he should request it too.

They are a great team at Chichester and youw ill be in good hands :D

He really is one of the 'good guys' isnt he....

Seems Mr Somers is not only a legend in the surgery department but a blooming decent guy too :)

18 weeks will soon pass by for you, i found once i got on the waiting list that just ignoring the calendar was the best thing to do. Take your mind away from dates and just try and enjoy your life while you wait :)

As someone else said, the money you saved will pay for any nips & tucks you need after.. Good luck with your journey xx

Thanks for your support, I think the calender should go in the bottom draw...x

I'd feel like that to hun, your emotional right now, but it will be worth it, just think what you can do with all that money and 18wks will fly by, all the best xxx

Reactions: Bev
Back