• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No weight loss!

paulineiw

Six Month Post Op
Hi, I haven't been on the site for a while. I am getting very despondent, I have stayed around the same weight for nearly 2 months now!
I have lost around 6 stone since June which is amazing but now I am really struggling to lose any. I have cut back on carbs and stopped eating bread, any suggestions? My main problem I feel is that I hardly drink at all, maybe 4 coffees per day, nothing else, I have always had a problem drinking, could this slow down the weight loss?
My dietician is not concerned and says that as I am not able to walk far or exercise I am doing as they expected but it is soul destroying at the moment, I feel like I did before the op, not able to lose weight at all, any advice?
Pauline

I haven't had my surgery yet so feel I can't really advice you but I am sure someone will be along shortly to help. I would have thought though that you need to increase your fluids. Good luck hope it starts shifting again soon. Well done on the 6 stone loss thought that is a great achievement.

I think increasing your fluid intake would make a difference to you, even just adding in 1 extra drink per day might help.

Why don't you try posting a typical day food diary so we can have a look and see if there is any advice we can offer?

Rx

Water & weightloss go hand in hand. You need to be drinking far more than you are doing.

Even if not going for weight loss our bodies need a minimum amount of fluid just to keep us healthy.

If you can't face just water, try NAS juice or pure fruit juice watered down. You'll see the Lbs dropping off I'm sure.

I'm struggling with my fluid intake too and i was like this even before my op, but i have been advised that it impedes weight loss and that i would be getting better results if i could drink more.
I set off every day with the best of intentions but still somedays its less than a litre. Its partly due to me not really liking sugar free cordial or plain water. The only drink i enjoy these days is fresh orange and milk but due to the calorie content i feel like i have to limit these. Wish i had a magic wand and could make myself like water !!

Hi

I try to increase my fluid intake by replacing a couple of coffees everyday with a fruit tea, but they are not everyones cup of tea, so to speak :)

Sugar free jellys count towards fluid intake.

Some mornings I try to drink a litre of fluids (water, juice, flavoured water, squash) in one go, before I go to work. It's really hard, and I have to do it slowly otherwise I feel ill, but then at least I know as the day starts that I have done well, and I consider all the fluids after that a bonus.

My husband is really good, and every now and then will plonk a glass of water in front of me and say 'DRINK', have to say that helps!!

One of my friends sets her alarm on her phone to go off hourly, and when it does she has a few mouthfulls of water/squash out of her sports bottle, it just reminds her and over the course of the day she gets quite a lot in now.

Good luck

Rx

I can't stomach water now for some weird reason, but have loads of really diluted NAS blackurrant cordial to up my fluids :D:D:D

im reading this with interest as i havent lost anything for about a month (just gone up and down between 11stone and 11stone 3)

i drink plenty, i eat about 1100 cals a day, and i figure ive got about a stone of loose skin... all in all i just need to drop a couple of lbs and my bmi would be normal, i want it so much! ive started exercising again to try and help, but nothing :(

i know if my skin was gone (just the loose bits, dont want my inner bits falling out!) id be a fine and dandy bmi... but thats not gunna happen.

any ideas lovely peoples?!

pauline, keep your chin up, im right there with you in the boat (good job we have both lost a lot or it would be sinking!)

.x.

Thank you for all your replies, I will try to drink more... I have been saying that for years, I don't seem to have lost as much as most people, don't think I am doing wrong...it's not like I can overeat!!
T

I too have a problem with drinking enough and I think this is why I only lose 2lbs per week.

Fizzy - trying a new ticker tonight

Hi Pauline,

Good advice all round there about the fluids. I'm waiting for my op but will make mental note to self to keep up the fluids!
You've said you aren't very mobile at the moment (please forgive me, I'm a newbie so don't know your history) but I have seen these sort of 'mini' cycling machines that you can use from a sitting position, so you can gently get a bit more movement without too much stress on joints etc...just a suggestion that might help too? You have done absolutely brilliantly so far though, 6 stones is a fabulous achievement. I hope your stall ends soon & you can go back to being a 'regular loser'! xxx

Hi Pauline, just to add caffeine can cause water retention so adding something else like maybe options hot choc or NAS is good advice... Hope the pounds start coming off again soon x

please also remember that WLS will only lose you about 70% ish of your excess weight, the last 30% can be a royal pain in the arris to shift, i see you're not far from goal, so the last few stones will be hard, stick at it, you'll get there, even if it takes longer than you thought, but don't lose heart, you should be drinking at least 2 litres + a day, including tea/coffee, so up those fluids!! ;)

Hi Pauline
I just wanted to say a massive well done on the weight loss. You have done incredibly well. Why dont you make yourself an album or all the pictures you loved to hate when you were bigger. If you get despondent now in these later stages just one look at those photos will put you back on the right track. Whilst your looking at the photos you could have a glass of water - kill two birds with one stone!
Its going to be slower towards the end but keep with it cos you are an inspiration to those at the beginning of the journey.
Loads of love
JO XX

The only drink i enjoy these days is fresh orange and milk but due to the calorie content i feel like i have to limit these.

Hi Jayne

I have always watered down the fresh orange juice

1part juice : 3 parts water

maybe that would help?

:)

Hi I have stayed the same weight for 2 months also. I thought it was maybe my bodies way of say this was me at my target. Anyway I did the 5 day pouch test and this got me back to basics and should me that I did have the odd pick now and again. As a result I also lost 4 lbs which was great. Maybe doing the pouch test would also give you the kick start you need.

I carry a 75ml bottle of NAS cordial around with me at all times. I find that I can drink quite a lot on the bus/train ride to work as its really boring just sitting there. I drank nearly a litre the other morning just on the journey alone (traffic was really bad!) I also keep a bottle on my desk to sip during the day and by the couch of a night. Only problem is I am constantly on the toilet now. It was also explained to me that our organs need constant water to do their jobs properly and it didn't matter so much before bypass because we got a lot of water from the food we ate but now we don't eat as much we NEED to drink (not just for weightloss but for our bodies to function safely) this information alone makes me drink for the safety of my body

Dont worry about it, Ive also been the same now for 2 month I go up then down approx 3lb so my weight has been the same for 2 month if not a week more than yourself. Having said that I have had a lot of stress since feb so I surpose Ive been grazing a lot just lately. Gail x P.S your about the same time as me for your op

Back