• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Normal eating from week 8 post op

Danielle <3

Hi guys and dolls, coming up to 8 weeks post op my provider recommends at this stage I should be eating normally and a small tea plate sized portion. I haven't quite got up to this yet. Had a few sicky experiences namely with meats and trying to introduce them into my diet without blitzing. Just think its such a different texture so I have to re address the meat issue, (ive been chewing and doing as I should) just didn't agree with me yet. Did u introduce things in gradually which is what I am trying to do. Really fancied salmon and puke with it whaaaaaaaaaaa. Very early days just got to stick with it :)

I decided that everyday I would introduce something new. At first it may be easier to have meats with sauces.

Make sure they're cooked very soft - think a casserole that's been on too long.

Anything that comes back up, think that you won't try that again for another 2 weeks. Then in 2 weeks time try again. It might take some while but most food while eventually go down. I can manage almost anything but you might find some things you just can't eat. Gravy etc will help in the early days.

Chew at least 30 times until pretty liquidy is a good one lots of gravy or sauces help moisten it. Initially pieces about the size of a rubber on a pencil top,. But some days it will work others it won't. Taking your time putting your cutlery down between each mouthful is a good way of slowing yourself down so you don't rush. I use tapas size cutlery or those suitable for toddlers again its a mind & visual thing helping you learn the new routine. Even now 2yrs out I still forget & reap the negative rewards if I don't stay focused. Stews, slow cooked foods are great to start with as they are softer & much more tender to chew.

Thanks girls, I have been eating a lot of stews and dinners etc and chewing til my jaw aches but am sure I will get used to it and just keep trying. Thank for all the useful advice xx

Back