• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

North Tyneside Update

Louise1

Hello all.
Sorry it's been a while since I posted but it's been hectic.
I'm under North Tyneside & thought it might be helpful to others if I post updates on my journey.

Anyway.....
Docs referred me to bariatric back in Nov/Dec last year. I had to complete Lighten Up, a 12 week weight loss program before I could be referred...

I'm now 4 weeks into the program & have lost 1lb. Disappointing but proving my point that I need assistance to lose weight.

I heard other PCT's had tightened their belts RE bariatric surgery. I rang Rake Lane bariatric dept and spoke with the consultant's secretary. She was lovely. Funding has not changed for North Tyneside. When it is devolved to GP level they will decide your funding but as things stand full steam ahead...

I was advised that as I was in the process of attending Lighten Up, my referral could go into the hospital. In fact I would be a little ahead in the process as most people have to attend Lighten Up after their hospital seminar. So I called my GP (getting used to this chasing business lol) and they have written my referral. Hopefully my seminar will be soon and I'll be on my way. I have been told the wait could be up to 12 months but I'm in it for the long haul.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck to you, add me to facebook and say who you are and i can put you in touch with other ladies that are under rake lane x

Hi I'm going through rakelane aswell I've got my seminar this Thursday. I knew people in weight management aswell most of u's only waited 2 months for first app. I was one of the lucky ones only 2 weeks as I had been refered before so shouldnt be too Longford you too wait. Good luck keep u's posted x x x

I'm afraid I'm not on Facebook but I'm more than happy to provide my email address for contact...

Suzie, I hope you don't mind me asking but why were you re-referred, are you ok?
In your experience what timescales have you encountered/are expecting?

Thanks again girls.

hi not a problem. I broke my foot when is started weight management and also had child care problems. Thought i would give it one more go to try and do it myself ov didnt work lol. Time scale to seminar about 2 months but would ring gp just to make sure they have sent off referral, then 2 weeks after that i would ring up rakelane just to make sure they got it as lots of people got lost in the post ( i blame these postmen lol ). Then hopefully once on seminar about another 4 months to see dietician where i think you get your weight loss target. Start to finish hopefully a year. But glad we dont have funding problems like most. What do you want to have? im hoping for a sleeve if they do them.

I'm hoping for a bypass as I have a stoma and other bowel problems so the less bowel I have the better lol!!
I'm still not losing on weight management but like you say, I'll have the opportunity to lose with dieticians guidance as opposed to the group sessions. They've also said if I have eating issues, weight management can send me to a psychologist rather than wait for bariatric to do it...
Good luck hun. It's great to hear from someone in the same boat.
xx

Good morning ladies.
I have another update. Just called consultants secretary to check GP's letter received. She has it & consultant has, "signed it off".
Now they'll invite me to evening seminar which is my 1st appt. I have to give evidence of completing Lighten Up programme and then nurse will give me a follow up appointment. I should hear when that will be within a week of my seminar.
In other words the big fat Louise shaped ball has finally started rolling lol. I really don't mind about the wait as long as I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck girls. I'll keep you all updated.
xx

Hi good to hear from you great the ball has started moving for you. Bet your exited the seminar is great and you will learn lots from it. I went a few weeks ago mr woodcock took that one he reminded me of doctor who David tenant love him though lol. I received my nurses appointment for sep 9th so 6 months which I don't mind as at least I have a appointment date so can see what I'm aiming for nothing worse when ur stuck in limbo. Just trying to loose as much weight as possible till then all helps. Great to here from you keep u's updated love to hear from sum one in the same area x x x

Hi yes I was also shocked at 6 months got a letter through post to say they had canceled my app no date given for new app. So phoned them to ask why cheeky me lol and came back and said was a error so gave me a new app same day. Glad I phoned as would of been waiting a long time for new one that would of never shown up lol. Asked if 6 months was the norm to wait she said yes as a lot more people are waiting now for Wls. But not too long as it will fly by it will be 6 weeks holidays before we no it lol. Where I will be given a goal to loose weight. Hopefully this time next year will be dun and dusted. Hope you get some progress soon just think a years not long and from seminar to nurse is the long part. So will try to loose as much weight as possible and just keep plodding along been overweight 26 years now what's another 1 haha. X x x

Got my seminar appointment for 1 week today so hopefully I won't be far behind you hun. It'll be nice having someone else going through the same thing at the same time if you know what I mean!!
Have you been to any of the support group meetings? There's 1 on Tues @ Rake Lane...
xx

Ye def no what u mean I was beginning to think I was alone lol. I haven't been to any of the support groups yet would like to go but struggle finding a child sitter lol hopefully will get to one before I have my op. Well not long to ur seminar now let me no how u get on hun hope u have a good night at seminar. X x x

hey everything in this country is a queue so why wouldn't surgery be the sameLOL

hi i had heard rake lane were doing bypasses but i was sent 2 srh,i live in blaydon so find it strange as r/lane is much closer 4 me.does any 1 no how long they have been doing them

John as far as I know they've been doing them for years!
I know a friend who lives in Ashington has been sent to Sunderland Royal which seems bizarre when Rake Lane is so much closer but I guess it depends on your PCT.
The seminar at Rake Lane had people from Durham & York..
xx

Hi I have just come across this page and wondered if you could help.
I went back to my doc today and she has referred me to rake lane for gastric surgery which one I do not no as I switched off when she said she was referring me after 5 yrs of asking for help with my weight.
She said she would send in the referral letter but I have to have a fasting blood test which I will have nxt Thursday,
Can any of you tell me what will happen next thank you in advance x

Hi n1spritzer good news on your referral have you done a weight management course. If not get your doctor to refer you for one as it is a requirement for surgery (might save a lot of time). Once the letter gets received you will get a date to attend a seminar with other people where they go through different types of surgery and you will get weighed is very informative. Then you have to wait for a nurse/diet appointment where you will be given a weight goal to loose. A few of u's at rake lane are that this stage waiting for nurse app. Hope this helps. X x x

Back