• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not a happy bunny

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
Been having a rough time in the last week, and feel in need of a big hug, and a large kick up the backside, followed by a slap across the face with a wet fish.

I met with my surgeon in the last week who won't put any more in my band, I feel that I don't have enough restriction, and I am hungry from about 10am onwards every day.

My surgeon is no doubt right and I chose him carefully and I need to listen to him, but that doesn't mean that I like what he is saying!! I don't want my band to migrate, but I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

*I follow the eating rules, but I have been eating a ridiculous amount of chocolate in the past 3 weeks, some due to a bad time of month, some just the vicious cycle of the stress of eating rubbish, whilst eating more rubbish!

I do love my band, but lately I'm starting to hate it as I'm just so hungry for most of the day, every day.*

I've had lots of problems so far and crippling pain, which has thankfully now gone after a second procedure, and I would have all this again to lose the 25kg that I have (but loads to go).

Not sure where to go from here, just don't want to be hungry all the time.

Im sorry that you're struggling so much, do you have the ability to speak to a dietician with or from your provider so that they can give you the real help of sorting out the foods that will help you work with your band, to get away from the foods that will "slide" down and go down easily and which are not only giving you empty calories, but those which aren't filling you up. I understand how we lean on certain foods when we feel a certain way, but if you're eating ridiculous amounts of chocolate are they the eating rules?

I've struggled since my first fill with the hunger that I have felt, and went today and had another 1ml put into my band as they agreed that while I shouldn't feel "full" after a meal as they suggest, but I shouldn't feel hungry and shouldn't have a need to keep eating.

Are you doing a food diary? This can help so much so you can pinpoint what you are eating, and work to changing the things that you eat to work with your band . . .I use myfitnesspal to log everything that passed my lips and although they told me today that I should be limiting to 1000 cals a day, that means I have been over what I should be having, and need to rethink the foods that Im eating even tho Im following the suggestions and foods very closely.

Shout if you want a chat anytime :) I know all too well, this can be a lonely journey!

Am sorry ur feeling like this!!?

Tomorrow a new day and start a fresh no more choc from then on award to Xmas , if u put ur mind to it u could lose a couple stone before Xmas as for wrong time of the month mayb try carrott stick with dip see if that will cure hungry or even some raspberries or strawberry.

I no it hard and am only 7 weeks from when I had my op so I no where ur coming from I've been on and off sick for last 7 weeks

I think as restriction what do u have in it ?
band now and how big is it?? I have a small with 4.6 in there am starting to feel a restriction but my friend got 10 ml band and only last week got 7 mls and she said it made no difference:-(

I telly hope u start to love ur band again as 25 kg is a massive weight loss
And am very proud of u.

Lisa x x

Sorry to hear u r having a hard time hune. Cant help but not fair u r hungry all the time hope things get better. And dont fret too nuch hune we all Have bad weeks and choc is heaven. Know how u feel we Have all been there!

How much are you actually eating of the right food? Are you perhaps scrimping on real meals then snacking/binging? Just me musing!

Ok so who is buying the chocolate? It has to start with that supermarket trolley! Work out a list and stick to it. Yes the chocolates are all on offer, we've all seen them, but show us how fab you are by walking right on by! Why even go down that aisle even?!! nutritious meals are one thing but the snacking is the hardest so what can you replace your chocolate with? A satsuma? I know it's not the same BUT! When is your trigger hour? All day, evenings? mines anything from 7pm on....so I've started bloody knitting of all things :D doesn't matter what it is but recognise your killer time and get busy busy!im gonna end up with a pile of stupid Xmas hats but who cares.....it's stopping me eating!! Come on let's crack this xx

You wrote that you are constantly hungry. Do you think eating more protein would help with that? Protein apparently has the ability to keep us full for longer. How much protein do you actually eat? I have done some research on the internet and found out that we need 0.8 times our body weight (in kg) = the amount of grams of protein per day. So according to this formula I need around 75 grams of protein. It looks easy, having any meal with meat in a restaurant would do it, but the reality is that I don't go that often to restaurants and on some days I am lazy to cook and just graze anything that is laying around the house...on those days I am certain I don't have that much of protein.

Hanako said:
You wrote that you are constantly hungry. Do you think eating more protein would help with that? Protein apparently has the ability to keep us full for longer. How much protein do you actually eat? I have done some research on the internet and found out that we need 0.8 times our body weight (in kg) = the amount of grams of protein per day. So according to this formula I need around 75 grams of protein. It looks easy, having any meal with meat in a restaurant would do it, but the reality is that I don't go that often to restaurants and on some days I am lazy to cook and just graze anything that is laying around the house...on those days I am certain I don't have that much of protein.

Packs of meats will be your best friend here.... I'm a lazy cook too it's just a case of working around it! Even hot dogs, fridge raiders etc all lazy protein options lol :)

I've no idea why I've been eating the chocolate, and why I've even been buying it.*My head just seems to be in a bad place for a couple of weeks. I don't even like chocolate, I've swapped my pre-op addictions to something new.

In the couple of months following my first surgery, I was still getting goodies for my husband as I do the shopping, but making sure that things that I don't like or can't eat! Things have improved in that area as following me trying a couple of bits, and putting myself in pain, the new house rule is that if he wants anything that he has to get it himself.

I have been doing a food diary luckily whilst I was over indulging as it has even shocked me into what I have eaten. But the post-op stuffing is on a different scale to the pre-op stuffing luckily.

I've had 3 fills, now totalling 8.1ml in a 12ml band. I feel that I need more.

I am eating what's on the food list in the right quantities, but am just so hungry that it seems not enough to satisfy. *I eat slowly and chew to oblivion, and have 1.5 litres of NAS squash outside of meal times.

I am really picky when it comes to food, I am the most picky person that you'll ever meet. I only like real food, and don't do ready meals etc, but adding a mega list of things I can't now eat hasn't helped.

I do a lot of exercise and am a bit addicted, doing up to 8 hours hard cardio a week. I can't do any resistance or weights due to other injuries.

I try to concentrate on protein to make sure that I'm getting enough, and have quite a lot of milk, protein and fluid to fill me up!

An example day's planned food is:
Breakfast: 1 Weetabix, Milk, Strawberries
Snack: Glass Milk
Lunch: 100g ham/fish/chicken, Brocolli
Dinner: Repeat of Lunch
Snack: Options Hot Chocolate

I haven't seen a dietician as yet, but may be next week.*

Thanks for your help, support and honesty, this is just the place to get it

Packs of meats will be your best friend here.... I'm a lazy cook too it's just a case of working around it! Even hot dogs, fridge raiders etc all lazy protein options lol :)

I think I will try the protein shakes and protein water to get the right amount of protein. I am sometimes too lazy to cook (or sometimes too busy). Luckily there are ways how to get the protein even if one is not cooking. I can't imagine how they did it some 50 years ago, when those things were not available.

I've no idea why I've been eating the chocolate, and why I've even been buying it.*My head just seems to be in a bad place for a couple of weeks. I don't even like chocolate, I've swapped my pre-op addictions to something new.

In the couple of months following my first surgery, I was still getting goodies for my husband as I do the shopping, but making sure that things that I don't like or can't eat! Things have improved in that area as following me trying a couple of bits, and putting myself in pain, the new house rule is that if he wants anything that he has to get it himself.

I have been doing a food diary luckily whilst I was over indulging as it has even shocked me into what I have eaten. But the post-op stuffing is on a different scale to the pre-op stuffing luckily.

I've had 3 fills, now totalling 8.1ml in a 12ml band. I feel that I need more.

I am eating what's on the food list in the right quantities, but am just so hungry that it seems not enough to satisfy. *I eat slowly and chew to oblivion, and have 1.5 litres of NAS squash outside of meal times.

I am really picky when it comes to food, I am the most picky person that you'll ever meet. I only like real food, and don't do ready meals etc, but adding a mega list of things I can't now eat hasn't helped.

I do a lot of exercise and am a bit addicted, doing up to 8 hours hard cardio a week. I can't do any resistance or weights due to other injuries.

I try to concentrate on protein to make sure that I'm getting enough, and have quite a lot of milk, protein and fluid to fill me up!

An example day's planned food is:
Breakfast: 1 Weetabix, Milk, Strawberries
Lunch: 100g ham/fish/chicken, Brocolli
Dinner: Repeat of Lunch
Snack: Options Hot Chocolate

I haven't seen a dietician as yet, but may be next week.*

Thanks for your help, support and honesty, this is just the place to get it

Thats not a bad choice of foods your having. I would consider having a more denser breakfast as weetabix with milk can be classed as a slider food hence why your feeling hungry so early in the day . Also try laying off the milk as me personally (each to their own though) I wouldnt class milk as a snack have something more solid to keep you going. Wishing you all the best BD XX

ThinnerJemina, it may be possible that you are constantly hungry because of the amount of exercise you are doing. Don't get me wrong, we are recommended to do exercise and it is healthy to do so, but I notice when I exercise a lot, I am also much more hungry. And sometimes I tend to eat more than I actually burned. In contrary to the popular belief, one doesn't loose that much weight just from exercising. You burn some calories, but at the same time your body is feeling more hungry and it gets harder to control the appetite. Some people tend to eat more than they actually burned. I know it sounds awful, but I find it easier to loose weight when I am not exercising. As soon as I start my 'normal' regime of vigorously exercising 12 hours a week, my weight actually stops going down or even increases. (and no, it is not because of all that muscles, because otherwise I would look like a body builder by now)

Protein for snacks like Jo said is good. crackers, ryvitas, crudites, fruit, etc are also good more satisfying snacks (if you are not averse to eating carbs) ... They will stick around for longer leaving you feeling fuller. The crunchy things also get the receptors in your stomach working harder which aids the feeling of satisfaction and speeds weight loss ... Also in all honesty you don't actually look like you are eating enough calories if you are exercising ... This could be why you are feeling peckish. Ps don't buy the 'treats' if you are tempted by them looking at you from the cupboard. In moments of weakness how many of us have eaten things we 'don't even really like' just because 'they were there'? Or is that just me LOL X

slimfast is a really good protein i take one to the gym with me for afterwards :) i also buy protein bars and keep one in my handbag just for when i am out and can't eat what's available x try porridge instead of weetabix it's thicker to eat and will keep you fuller :) good luck and stop the chocs they were no good for you before and definitely no good afterwards xx

Aww poor you, sounds frustrating. I do not think it is for the surgeon to tell you, surely you are the best judge of how restricted you feel?
Who are you with? I know with THG I can have as many fills as I like till I feel its right for me. 14ml band with a 8.7ml fill and still feeling hungry so I will be having another fill next month its up to me not anyone else. I only feel minimal restriction with certain foods, I have yet to feel how I think the band is supposed to feel. I paid for the surgery and it is up to me, my band, my body.
Not to say you have to ignore medical advice but in my experience doctors can be wrong and give you advice that is not exactly shall we say the best advice for YOU as an individual.
Everyone experience is different that is true but the point of the band is to do 3 things, feel less hungry, feel fuller longer and restrict your portions. If it is not doing all three I would want to know why! I would want answers and you should too, even if those answers are from a second source.
I hope you get advice that helps you, I know how you are feeling its not the easiest or rides this banding business is it?

Had a better couple of days and am meeting with a dietician on Thursday who does seem according to their online profile to be on the same wavelength as me.

My surgeon won't add any more fills as concerned due to migration. Will give it another couple of months and then go and beg. :sign0009: by then I won't care and will have no shame

Back