• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not great!

Gnomes

I've just passed my 6 month op anniversary, I've had 2 fills taking to 1.5ml, I have so far lost 0 lbs, but managed to gain 7lbs!! :sigh:

To say it's not going great is an understatement!!
What was the point in having the op??
Does anyone else feel like this or am I just grumpy?!! :(

I'm due for my 3rd fill next week, does it start to make a difference at all or am I expecting too much?

Thanks x

Gnomes, what does your dietician / surgeon say? I do feel for you xxx

Hi. You are doing great. According to ur profile u have lost 50lbs which is fine. Everyone loses differently but again I think you might need more in ur band as 1.5ml may not be enough. I suggest u have a word with ur provider. Good luck and keep us updated

Gnomes, I am confused. If you had surgery six months ago, why did you have only 2 fills? I thought the first one is six weeks after the surgery and then they follow about in a monthly intervals, so in six months I would hope that I will have about 4-5 fills, if I need them. Also, you are saying that you have 1.5 ml at the moment. What is the size of your band? Because 1.5 ml does not seem as having proper restriction to me. And if you don't have the right restriction, than it is like if you did not have band - you would feel hungry, eat too much and not loose weight (unless you are really, really motivated and manage it just with your willpower). The amount of fill is individual, but from reading this forum is seems that people are having around 5-8 ml in 10 ml band (please someone correct me if I am wrong!)

Maybe you should speak to your provider about this.

Hi Gnomes

I really feel for you, I too have had my doubts whether it was worth it...BUT it definitely was. I agree with everyone above 1.5 in your band is not enough and will not give you restriction now that your swelling from your op has gone down.

I have 7 in my 10ml band and its only now that I feel the proper restriction everyone is talking about.

I think you should speak with your provider and discuss more fills to help you work with your band. I was disheartened with my band a while back and actually was very upset when telling my provider that I couldn't do it, was too hungry all the time, it was a waste of money etc....But now Ive had some more fills everything is going well again and a year after having my op, I'm back on track and the weight it coming off.

Some of us have a few setbacks in the beginning but trust me, once you sort out your fills and an action plan of what you can eat...It will work.

Speak with your provider and book an appointment for a fill

good luck xx

Nhs ... Sometimes take the fills a bit slower, so a couple of fills is not necessarily out of the ordinary at this stage for nhs patients. Slowly but surely and you will achieve what you set out to do ... Also some people don't need any fill in their bands for a long while, purely having the band is enough restriction however Most of us need the mils, to help us though. All I say, is don't get disheartened gnomes, good things come to those who wait and work with their band whatever the level of fill .. Your time will come xxx

Thanks all.
To answer some of your questions:
I have only had 2 fills because it took them 12 weeks after my op and them cancelling my app 5 times for me to get my first fill, and then they only put in 0.5ml and 1ml in the second time, having my third fill next week.
I have lost 50lbs from my starting weight, but I did that before my op and have lost nothing since, and as I have said, now started putting on.

I agree 1.5ml is not very much and really isn't working for me, but they only seem to put in a little at a time, (which I agree with, although very time consuming), but I had really hoped for much better weight loss and restriction than I am getting now.

I will speak to the nurse when I am there next week, but I have never spoken to the dietician even though I have asked to and seeing as I am putting on the weight, you would think, they would want to help me more :-(

Thanks for your messages xx

It seems to be unusually slow filling. Maybe flutterby is right, maybe they do it on NHS differently than to private patients...or maybe there is a reason why in your case they fill it so carefully.

Back