• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stryggling with no weight loss

lilypersian

I thought it would be too good to be true, or am I just being stupid and lazy and slipping back into old habits?
I was banded on 17/8/12, weighing 12st9lbs. I've lost 1 stone 5lbs, i've had one fill. I had 3.7ml put in at surgery and at my first fill had 1.5ml taking me to 5.2ml.
At first I felt some restriction, and on the liquid only days after felt ok, but now i'm feeling hungry every 2 hours. My choices are not always 100% healthy as i'm feeling fed up but was hoping the hunger would not be so bad, or that i would feel fuller for longer.
My nurse who did the fill did say the weight loss may stop, or slow down at this point, until I reach a better restriction, but I feel so low and disheartened.
I've started back to the gym too this week as i'm going to do a half marathon next year, and realise I may need to eat more. I've even started to use myfitnesspal app which is good, and on some days it says im not eating enough. I've set myself at 1200 calories a day.
What should i do? I'm desperate to lose weight, I had visions of myself being lighter by now and just feel a failure!! Not feeling very positive today obviously, any advice would be welcome.
Am I expecting too much too soon/not eating enough/not being realistic with myself?????:wave_cry::wave_cry:
Lilypersian
xxx

Firstly - I have moved your thread into the banders section :D

What I would suggest is that you speak to your provider. Also if MFP is saying your are not eating enough, maybe your not. Not eating enough could very well be why you are not losing.

With out knowing what you are having its difficult to try and help :confused:

Hi Mazza,
A typical day goes like this;
Breakfast 7.30am slimfast shake taken slowly. I've started to have slimfast rather than the usual 2 weetabix with skim milk as I dont have lots of time in the morning and dont want to rush my breakfast.
By 9.30am i'm feeling hungry again, so at my break time 10.45 I will have a fat free yoghurt or melon/pineapple/mango fruit salad and cup of tea. 12.30 is lunch time and i'm feeling hungry again(stomach is actually rumbling) so i've been having ww meal & steam veg pouch, or 4 x ryvita with extra light phili and cucumber.
i'm trying to drink lots of water/nas squash through the day so I dont confuse thirst with hunger. I'll go to the gym from 5.30 for an hour or so and then will have salmon/chicken with sml portion of root veg mash with tiny bit of cheese sauce.
Some nights last week I ate pretzels and chocolate for tea as I was fed up. i'm not going to pretend ive been perfect when I havent as i'd be cheating myself, but when I was on liquid/mush stage the weight loss was better.
Lilypersian
xx

I thought it would be too good to be true, or am I just being stupid and lazy and slipping back into old habits?
I was banded on 17/8/12, weighing 12st9lbs. I've lost 1 stone 5lbs, i've had one fill. I had 3.7ml put in at surgery and at my first fill had 1.5ml taking me to 5.2ml.
At first I felt some restriction, and on the liquid only days after felt ok, but now i'm feeling hungry every 2 hours. My choices are not always 100% healthy as i'm feeling fed up but was hoping the hunger would not be so bad, or that i would feel fuller for longer.
My nurse who did the fill did say the weight loss may stop, or slow down at this point, until I reach a better restriction, but I feel so low and disheartened.
I've started back to the gym too this week as i'm going to do a half marathon next year, and realise I may need to eat more. I've even started to use myfitnesspal app which is good, and on some days it says im not eating enough. I've set myself at 1200 calories a day.
What should i do? I'm desperate to lose weight, I had visions of myself being lighter by now and just feel a failure!! Not feeling very positive today obviously, any advice would be welcome.
Am I expecting too much too soon/not eating enough/not being realistic with myself?????:wave_cry::wave_cry:
Lilypersian
xxx

Your weight loss is bang on track tbh , with a band the losing is on average 1-2 lbs a week and you have lost within that bracket - so well done you. Plz remember this weight loss journey isnt a race, losing weight at a healthy pace is not a bad thing. wishing you all the best - BD xx

Thanks Julie,
I'm really pleased with the weight loss so far to be honest, and I know if I didn't have my band, I wouldn't have lost this much, and that the weight loss slows eventually. Patience isn't my strong point, but I suppose I must be!!
Thanks for all replies so far!
Lilypersian
xx

If you're still having 'the wrong things' regularly but in smaller amounts, consider cutting way back on sugar. Sugar and other refined carbs can stimulate the appetite, cause cravings etc and make you want to nibble. If you've always had a problem with sweet or savoury carbs - or both, try cutting them down or out and see how you go.

When I keep my carbs low, particularly sugars, my cravings just disappear. Not saying it's easy at first but after two or three days - maybe less - you won't need the goodies.

It is hard and I know its difficult when we don't see the loss that we want.

Just to say, I find that the gym makes me hungry, but one thing that I also learned recently was to move over to crunchier and drier foods, to avoid eating "mashed" anything because they are slider foods, avoid having gravy or sauces as again, it makes the food pass through more quickly so you don't retain the food for long so then feel hungry again.

I've replaced the mash carrot/swede etc to things such as green beans, peas, cabbage, rather than easy to go down things and it does help in terms of the food. I also find that chicken will fill me up for longer than fish.

Also MFP doesn't take into account surgery or things and it the calorie level that it will suggest will be much more than what you should actually be consuming. When I went for a small fill the weekend before this one, I was discussing this with the nurse (and the fact that I use between 4-600 cals a day in exercise) and should I offset it. They said that no I shouldn't be, that I should be looking at 1000 cals a day, not increasing the cals to match the exercise as this doesn't promote the weight loss.

But I definitely found the drier and crunchier the better as far as food is concerned, and I don't yet feel any restriction from my band in terms of what I can eat or the amount, it really is self control and monitoring everything that I eat, sticking to my 1000 cals. I wouldn't even know I had a band, unless I eat too quickly and then I know its there :)

hope it all gets better

Back