• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not heavy enough?

pollybree

Hi I am feeling anxious about my semiar date at Darlington, My Bmi is between 40.4 - 40.8 and it fits the critera specified in the NICE guidlines but I am worried they will say I need to be bigger and refuse me surgery? I dont want to get any bigger for my health just to get the operation although I have struggled with my weight for the last 20 years and I am only 34!! Does anyone have any experience of this? :confused:

Hi I am feeling anxious about my semiar date at Darlington, My Bmi is between 40.4 - 40.8 and it fits the critera specified in the NICE guidlines but I am worried they will say I need to be bigger and refuse me surgery? I dont want to get any bigger for my health just to get the operation although I have struggled with my weight for the last 20 years and I am only 34!! Does anyone have any experience of this? :confused:

Hi - does your criteria fit that required for your PCT? Or does Darlington follow NICE guidelines? If you meet the criteria for your PCT then you have nothing to worry about :)

My PCT criteria was a BMI of 50 plus co-morbidities. On one occasion when I went to the GP to ask to be referred, my BMI was 49.8 and he still wouldn't refer me!

Hi thanks for the quick reply, darlington follows the NICE guidlines which I do fit, I think I maybe getting worked up for nothing, my appointment is on 26/2/13, It cant come quick enough!! I think your mind runs away with you when your waiting for something to happen xx

Just spoke to Cheryl the bariatric nurse and she has given me all the answers I need, if anyone is in the area and is thinking of going to Sunderland, go to Darlington instead as the waiting times are alot less x

if anyone is in the area and is thinking of going to Sunderland, go to Darlington instead as the waiting times are alot less x

Hi pollybree. Please don't say this.
This whole thing is life changing and life long. I understand the excitement you're feeling now, but this is a hard decision to make - hard for the rest of your days. You just want it to be here, then over and done with so you can get on with your new life, but in the meantime your feelings will change. I'd worry if you didn't, at some point, feel nervous, anxious, apprehensive... you'll question if you're doing the right thing. I have no doubt Darlington are a good team, but some patients around here are given the choice of Darlington or Sunderland and to chose Darlington just because it's quicker is wrong. You need to look at the op best for you, then look at the results from both hospitals. Take into account the pre-op care as well as after care. Look at the experience of dieticians, nursing staff on the ward as well as the surgical team.
i'm not saying to go to Darlington is wrong, just your reasons.
Good luck to you.

Back