• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP!!! GASTRIC BYPASS FAIL

Nounouche

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here because I have been battling a lot of anxiety about what is currently happening following my surgery in July 2013.

I was never a comfort/emotional eater or even ate out of boredom. I always had the issue of no satiety though (even when I was born. My parents thought something was awfully wrong with me when I kept crying and asking for wayyy more milk than what they had been told was the normal quantity for a baby/toddler my age). Therefore, at meal times, I could never satisfy myself with "normal" portions but would overfill my plate and have huge portions.

I had really good results with my pre op diet, and had even considered keeping to the calorie controlled diet to lose all my excess weight instead of surgery. But because I was diagnosed with diabetes Type 2 as well as my PCOS, HS and sleep apnoea, I opted for the gastric bypass. Again, the weight just dropped off me and I was extremely elated and kept the efforts up. I could barely manage more than 3 tablespoons by the time I was onto solid food, and I can't explain the joy of me leaving food out of a small portion on a side plate, or not even being able to finish a starter when we go out. I was very happy (and saved a lot of money,which I spent on buying smaller and smaller clothes). For the first time ever, I could buy clothes from regular shops, not only Evans and Yours clothing. My back pain diminished, and I could walk more.

I kept my eating pattern and the weight kept dropping off. I would sometimes plateau but after a while the weight would just drop off again. I went to my appointment at Luton & Dunstable in January and the dietician called me a success story as by then I had lost 70% of my excess body weight and gone from a size 28-30 to a size 18-20.

For the last year,my weight remained the same, and so did my eating pattern. I could barely eat and was happy being so. The satisfaction of having satiety after so little food was indescribable and I felt a million dollara. My self confidence was at its highest its ever been.

For the last 3-4 months however, my appetite has been at its highest!!! I could eat every 5 minutes, but try to drink water instead. But the hunger pangs I get are so severe that I even get heartburn and at times my sugar even goes low, as low as 2!!! I make sure to eat lots of proteins and to combat this feeling I keep myself occupied. But it's getting to the point that it wakes me up in the night and my portions are nowhere near normal portions, but still bigger than anything I was having before. I am soo scared, and my depression (caused partly by severe anaemia which came on post-op) does not help either. I am now putting on weight,my skin is not as nice as it used to be and am in a total panic. I have an appt with my dietician next week, but I am really troubled and desperate for any advice or experience anyone may be able to share.

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid as I'm only 11 weeks post op but I would say try not to panic and get stressed as it won't help. Speak to your dietician as soon as you can for advice.
Has anything changed? Maybe a stressful event? Changes to diet? Deficiencies?
Sorry I'm not much help but I really hope you get sorted soon x

First of all at two years out this is normal and you haven't failed! You are amazing to come back and ask for help - your dietician will hopefully be able to guide you on the right path. Have you tried something like slimming world to make sure you're eating the right things?

I'm 14 months out from bypass and I go weekly to slimming world to keep myself motivated and on track.

You haven't failed at all. Let us know how you go xx

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid as I'm only 11 weeks post op but I would say try not to panic and get stressed as it won't help. Speak to your dietician as soon as you can for advice.
Has anything changed? Maybe a stressful event? Changes to diet? Deficiencies?
Sorry I'm not much help but I really hope you get sorted soon x

Stressful events are of course things I have been dealing with, along with battling with depression. Dnt apologise because your support is very warming and more than appreciated. Xxx

First of all at two years out this is normal and you haven't failed! You are amazing to come back and ask for help - your dietician will hopefully be able to guide you on the right path. Have you tried something like slimming world to make sure you're eating the right things?

Hi Yvessa. How are you doing?thanks so much for your response. Is it normal that I am so hungry all the time?my friends are on slimming world and we have a whatsapp group where we post our food daily,as well as recipes of healthy yet nutritional recipes.

I had been considering joining myself as it really works for them, and I want to lose more weight, especially as am putting it on now. Nothing more distressing than putting weight on and having no restriction. :-(

I'm 14 months out from bypass and I go weekly to slimming world to keep myself motivated and on track.

You haven't failed at all. Let us know how you go xx

Hi Nicola,

Well done on having joined slimming world. I should probably do the same too and try what I can. My weight gain and constant hunger is something I want to overcome as soon as possible. Thanks for your support. Xxx

Hi Yvessa. How are you doing?thanks so much for your response. Is it normal that I am so hungry all the time?my friends are on slimming world and we have a whatsapp group where we post our food daily,as well as recipes of healthy yet nutritional recipes.

I had been considering joining myself as it really works for them, and I want to lose more weight, especially as am putting it on now. Nothing more distressing than putting weight on and having no restriction. :-(

I am good thank you. Fighting that battle now for the last 2.5 stone :)

I have days where I am hungry all the time. Some days I'm not, but others I feel like the bottomless pit. Are you drinking enough? Sometimes we can mistake it. Is it head hunger, or tummy hunger? I find head hunger really hard sometimes.

Equally, I think at 2 years out everything has healed and its a whole new battle. Slimming world definitely helped me to start with, although at the moment I'm on quite a restrictive diet as my team is trying to support me to get help for plastics. I did manage to lose another 2.5 stone with slimming world though so definitely helped me.

Back