• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aberdeen UK?

PurpleKylie22

Hi, I just wondered if anyone in Aberdeen has had surgery on the NHS? I think I saw one person who has but I tried following links and becuase Im a new-bee it wont let me! I actually live in Aberdeenshire now but I am assuming its similar procedure...
I am going to make my doctors appointment soon and ask them what I do. I have previously been on Oralistat but didnt really get any results and eventually stopped becuase I got pregnant. Baby is now 18 months old and I seem to have bloated again. When I was 16 I was a size 16 and slowly rose to a size 24. I stayed there for about 4/5 years several years and now I seem to have jumped, I cant get into size 28 jeans, Im 25 now. I gave up trying any bigger sizes after that!
I know I am over 20 stone, the bathroom scales dont really go higher than that... and Im 5ft4 so pretty round in general. Starting to get a lot of pain in my back and hips, my arms go numb when I sleep and my feet go numb constantly. it seems to only be getting worse so i guess I have to go see them soon, I cant go on like this. My dad died of a heart attack at 46 years old and he wasnt very overweight. I think one of my grandmas did too. So Im starting to worry.
I have been looking at different methods, I think the band isnt going to give the results i would ideally want. I dont know between the bypass and the sleeve.
Wow Im really nervous and I dont even have an apointment yet. I dont know how to ask, do I just come out and say "I want weight loss surgery, can you refer me?" I have tried many diets and often use my cross trainer, but nothing touches my weight.
Eeck Im nervous! Dont even think this post has a pont anymore... guess I will just say "Hi"
:wave_cry:

Hi and :welcome2: to WLS, Im sure we can all understand the nervousness, we've all been there :D I just asked my GP straight out and was turned down! I then wrote a letter to the same GP detailing how my weight affected my life every day and appealed to her as a human being and not just a GP and she referred me :D You have nothing to loose, go for it and if the GP says no try again, dont give up :D x

Thank you! Its good to know that if they do just say no that isnt the end of it. I wish I was still at my old doctors, I seen one doctor quite often and she was always really helpful. Since I moved into "the shire" I havent really seen any of the doctors so I dont even know who I am best to approach. Im thinking to ask for a female doctor anyway, but maybe its too sterotypical to assume they would understand me better...

My personal opinion is female doctors seem to judge more than the male ones, i go and see a male dr but just my opinion, good luck xxx

Oh dear! well I will hope for the best as I just made it for a female doctor. Next thursday at 10.50. I e-mail the NHS Grampian too asking for their guidelines and processes so I can hopefully go in armed with information.

Good luck!

Back