• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not what i had expected

hopelesscase

Hi everyone
Last year i lost 3stone on lipotrim and then a futher 7lbs after coming off it at christmas. Despite sticking to a health diet and increasing my exercise i havent been able to shift another lb.
At 4ft 10 and 17st 12lb i went to see my dr who refered me to hope hospital to the weight management clinic. I went along expecting to be offered lipotrim (did it at the chemist before). Just over a week ago i got a parcel through the post It was a bottle to collect 24hrs of urine plus some blood sheets for me to have a blood test. I also receiced an appointment to go for a sleep analasis. The following day i got an appointment for last friday. I met 2 fantastic Drs who both decided that the only thing for me was gastric bypass. I hadn't even concidered surgery and didnt realise it was available on the NHS.
They are writing to my GP to ask him to write to the PCT for funding but in the meantime are arranging for me to see the psycologist and also the surgon.
I have got to admit although aprehensive at having sergury im also quite excited that for the first time in my life (i was a 10lb 5oz baby) i may get to a size im comfortable with.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get notification of funding?
thanks
hopelesscase

Hi,

First of all your names wrong, you are NOT hopeless!

With the funding, each PCT is different, what area are you in? There may be others here in the same area who can be more accurate for you. For me, once the funding application went in, it took about a month to get an answer. Once you get that yes, things happen very quickly. Most PCTs will have a contract with a private hospital to provide the surgery, and part of that contract is set time scales. So for example, I had to receive an appointment with the surgeon within 4 weeks of the funders notifying the hospital.

It sounds though as if you'll have everything in place before the funding decision is made, so that should make things quicker. I went through the psych part too, for me it was just one session talking about my childhood and the reasons for my weightgain etc.

Use the time to do loads of research into what a bypass involves if you feel you don't know much about it, its major surgery as I'm sure you know and will change your life forever.

Aside from that, welcome to this part of the forum, the girls here are all lovely and we're all at different stages in the process so there is always someone who understands how you feel.

Shel

Hi

Welcome to minis!!!!!

That is fantastic news, as shel has said it is different for different areas......... i didnt really understan any of it, i just went to my gp got referred, 6 months later got letter for appoint with surgeon and then two months after that had the bypass...

It sounds like you are half way there though... good luck and well done with everything so far!!!!! looking forward to hearing your updates

Thanks for the welcome Im in Bolton. I have spent every spare min reading up on bypass so im really glad i found this site so i can get an insight from real people who have gone through it. look forward to hearing more
HC

ooooh I've seen bolton on some people's locations on here, I'm sure one of them will be along and share there story for you :)

hi i wanted to say welcome to our exclusive and ever so friendly group xxx i had my bypass done 1 year ago and have lost just ova 8 stone im 5ft 2 and i was 25 stone so surgery does work lol, i went private for mine as i was refused point blank for nhs funding, but it was worth every penny if u ask me, good luck xxx

Hi everyone
Last year i lost 3stone on lipotrim and then a futher 7lbs after coming off it at christmas. Despite sticking to a health diet and increasing my exercise i havent been able to shift another lb.
At 4ft 10 and 17st 12lb i went to see my dr who refered me to hope hospital to the weight management clinic. I went along expecting to be offered lipotrim (did it at the chemist before). Just over a week ago i got a parcel through the post It was a bottle to collect 24hrs of urine plus some blood sheets for me to have a blood test. I also receiced an appointment to go for a sleep analasis. The following day i got an appointment for last friday. I met 2 fantastic Drs who both decided that the only thing for me was gastric bypass. I hadn't even concidered surgery and didnt realise it was available on the NHS.
They are writing to my GP to ask him to write to the PCT for funding but in the meantime are arranging for me to see the psycologist and also the surgon.
I have got to admit although aprehensive at having sergury im also quite excited that for the first time in my life (i was a 10lb 5oz baby) i may get to a size im comfortable with.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get notification of funding?
thanks
hopelesscase

Sorry just checked back and realised after posting my other reply you had been to Hope and had told me all about it.....just finished work and its 2.30 am so please forgive me for being so daft. I was 10lb 4oz when born so we are similar. What BMI and height are you?

Linda x

Back