• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Now I'm no longer eating 24/7

Nicnac_

Well maybe not 24/7 but quite a bit - I now feel I have loads of time I need a hobbie.

Any suggestions?

Knitting? Nail art?

Hang gliding!

I worried about that. I've taken a jewellery making course so I can make ugly jewellery to fob off on the rellies I don't much like at Christmas. I've also started swimming three or four times a week - I won't be able to immediately after the op, but I love it and hope to be able to get back to it quite quickly.

I'm defo joining the gym but was told to wait till 6 weeks postop. I've been on little walks but bores the death out of me!

How does walking bore you? Got an iPod? Get a talking book or some dance tunes. Gets me moving quickly!

My main hobby is baking and cake decorating. Not the best thing for bariatrics!

Photography. I love it and it makes you active too. You have to get down low to get good angles and walk through fields to get the perfect sunset etc. You don't need expensive equipment, you can even practise with a camera phone. Also the net is filled with information so you can learn to take the best shots.

A good way to make walking more interesting is to download a book to your ipod. I do this all the time. It makes me walk further because I wan't to hear what happens next in the next chapter. My dog loves me for it too.

Another good active hobby is to learn to ride a horse. You might not feel ready yet but it's worth bearing in mind. Lots of fun but also very physically demanding. Riding a bike is great too.

As you can probably see by my avatar one of my hobbies is re-enacting.
Which involves sewing, embroidery, cooking, sugar sculpture, pottery painting, and all sorts of other things.

The only problem I have with free time is that I need more of it to do things in!

I went back swimming five or six weeks after surgery. I find walking boring as well, although it's easier with music. Of course we can suggest things, but you know best what you enjoy doing. Maybe try something new.

No real suggestions, although I started swimming at 4 weeks too. But I can say that I suffered a bit feeling lost without my hobby (eating). The other thing that was noticeable was having more money, so now i treat myself to a bit of pampering now and then ;)

I write and have finally started working on the novel I always said I would write. I gym 6 days a week, swim 2-3 and that's become my hobby too - but so has cleaning my house. When I was so big I never had the energy to do it and have now started ploughing through and sorting and selling 7 wardrobes of clothes on eBay lol

Never thought about having more money but not shopping for "treats" daily I guess I will

How does walking bore you? Got an iPod? Get a talking book or some dance tunes. Gets me moving quickly!

Maybe because at the min where I live not very interesting to walk around - maybe because when I used to walk would be to shop to buy chocolate or alcohol :rolleyes:

No real suggestions, although I started swimming at 4 weeks too. But I can say that I suffered a bit feeling lost without my hobby (eating). The other thing that was noticeable was having more money, so now i treat myself to a bit of pampering now and then ;)

Ive already noticed I've got more money - I can feel addiction to clothes shopping coming on.

Do your family tree ... It can take up so many hours in the day. I can get engrossed in it so much that I forget to eat which is not good either! Hahaha

Last edited:

Sorry hon - walking bores me too :( no matter what I've got playing! So I'll make any excuse not to do it - I love to dance tho! Find an exercise you would choose to do.

Don't apologise. We have to find what works for us. When I was huge all I could do was walk so I guess I embraced it!

Now I still walk but also do 5 hours of classes a week. Love love love yoga but couldn't have done it at 22 stone!

Back