• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

o/t H1N1 innoculations are you having yours?

phatmomma

Well i ummed and ahhed about having the swine flu jab but after chatting with one of the nurses at work today i've been and took myself over to the occy health dept and had the jab....

I'm not overly concerned that i could catch it but i am concerned i could pick up the virus and carry it home to my family. Working on a critical care ward we can get all sorts come in, as i'm only the secretary its not like i'm going to be hands on, but with the threat of a pandemic it may well be i could end up dishing up meals to patients which gets me a bit closer... That's a choice i make in my job, its not a choice my children or grandchild make, so for a few days discomfort in my arm i chose to protect them more than myself...

Are you having yours?

yes i am .... i am full time carer to my daughter so if i were to get the dreaded piggy flu, not only would i be unable to take care of her more scary would be if i passed it on to her :)

I'm not having it, but hubby and my son had theirs yesterday. They are entitled as they live with me (there had to be some advantages). I did a lot of research before making my decision, as obviously it affects the baby as well as me. Hubbs had an achey arm yesterday afterwards and has been headachey today but apart from that he's fine. My son has had no side effects, but as he is 8 he has to go back for a second dose in 3 weeks.

I'm not having it, but hubby and my son had theirs yesterday. They are entitled as they live with me (there had to be some advantages). I did a lot of research before making my decision, as obviously it affects the baby as well as me. Hubbs had an achey arm yesterday afterwards and has been headachey today but apart from that he's fine. My son has had no side effects, but as he is 8 he has to go back for a second dose in 3 weeks.

Shell, what did you find out during your research? I am umming and Ahhing and have been for about 5 weeks now. A friend of mine has not had it done - is also undecided - but she has 2 friends who have - one said she felt fine but the other wasn't very well afterwards. I would really like to know what you have discovered. Thanks, Lv Jen x

I daren't risk having it, as apparently they turn you back at Goa airport if they think you have a raised temp:eek::eek::eek:Knowing my luck i'd get a mild dose after the jab, but I should really have it cos have asthma :eek:

I had it on Wednesday. I always have the seasonal jab and usually have very little problems. I have not been feeing too good today and can't decide if it is down to the jab or just overdoing it post-op. Anyway, another day of work hasn't made me very popular.

John xx

Jen I was looking at it from a pregnancy perspective. I think for a non-pregnant healthy person the jab is perfectly safe, but there is little knowledge on long term effects for pregnancy, a few questionable ingredients (such as mercury), and a few incidents in Sweden where the program has been running longer of pregnant women dieing after having the injection :(

I got mine done as I work in the labour ward and we have had a few pregnant mums in with the dreaded swine flu. I was fine, a bit headachey and mildly sore arm. I know other people at work who had it done and some were really unwell.

My kids are all having it next Monday. They have lung disease and various other serious illnesses and the consultants said it would be prudent to do it otherwise the consequences were dire. I will be having it after my op since I am their carer and I have asthma.

Yes Shel i heard it wasn't so good for pregnant women! Will you be having it after delivery of 'bean'?

Thankyou Shel, mercury you say? Blimey. :(

i have also had mine due to the job that i do. We have got one of the children off our team who has been in hospital for 3 weeks now initially in an induced coma for 10 days and now had a tracheotomy and is still critical after contracting swine flu off her dad.She has epilepsy and heart problems and is still very poorly.
wouldnt want to risk passing it on if its avoidable

as i don't have any real medical reasons apart from having bypass i don't think i'm eligible, unless someone knows any different, hubs has to have it as he has asthma and diabetes but as far as i know if i wanted it i would prob have to pay :confused:

Sharon

Nope I won't be having it at all. I don't have the seasonal flu one, I've never had flu in my life, and I wasn't allowed the standard vaccines at school (BCG/Tetanus etc) due to my health probs so not sure it's safe!

I'm not having it either. I don't even have the seasonal flu jabs, although I did have the pneumococcal one last year.

I don't come into contact with very many people as a rule, although all this travelling down to London for my appts obviously puts me at greater risk but I just try not to touch anything that hundreds of other people have, and wash my hands or use a hand rub if I do ;)

I watched a programme on TV Choice last night on Pandemics and how viruses work. I am now going to have the flu and swine flu jabs asap. It really amazed and frightened me how quickly viruses are spread - and with so little contact. It showed the virus locking into cells and forcing each cell to reproduce the virus until the cell gets exhausted and dies. They used SARS as an example of how WHO stopped a pandemic which would have killed roughly 10% of the population of the world. Flu viruses are even easier to catch according to the WHO people.

I had my ordinary flu jab done a couple of weeks ago and the swine flu jab last Monday. I happened to be at the surgery when they were sorting out their supplies and they asked me if I wanted one. I have asthma so definately a good idea. Mxx

Had mine last week no side effects just my arm in aching. Not had the normal flu one and I have never had flu or a really bad cold

I always have the standard flu jab (I'm asthmatic and also my father's carer). I felt really rotten for a few days after it this year. High temperature etc - even took to my bed, which is very unusual for me. I then had the H1n1 jab a couple of weeks ago and had no bad effects at all. My arm was tender, but nothing worrisome.

Back