• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T really worried about my dog

Sambucca

Jake is a 9 yr old springer spaniel and is the loveliest dog you could ever wish to meet.

Last night, he started trembling and panting really strangely. He wouldnt touch his food or water, wouldnt go for a walk, or go out in the garden for a wee.

This morning, I came downstairs to wee and poo everywhere - sorry for tmi but this is so very unlike him. He has never messed in the house since he was a tiny puppy.

He's really lethargic, still a bit shaky, and panting occasionally. He has laid in the same spot all day long and I cant persuade him to move for food or drink or even a cuddle. His eyes are all red too and his breath stinks.

Neil is going to take him to the vets when he gets home from work ( I cant manage him myself being only 4 weeks post op) but I'm really really worried.

Are there any dog experts here who can offer any advice or comfort?

not a doggie expert Sam but best get him seen asap by the vet before he dehydrates...they'll get him sorted for you :hug99:

let us know how he gets on xx

I know that spaniels are canine dustbins - do you think he has eaten something he shouldnt - from the park or the bottom of the garden? Anyway, the doc will sort him. Its amazing how fast pooches respond to treatment once it starts - your dog will be bouncing again before you know it.

Sam hun soz ur baby jake is not well, i have 2 girls but am no expert but maybe he has some kind of infection, has he got diarrhoea, if he goes for a poo again maybe u can get a sample to take to the vets.
TPT aka Tina she is a dog trainer and behaviourist maybe u can pm her she is so helpful but i know she is not feeling 2 well herself at the mo.
Sounds like jake has some kind of infection, or could he of eaten anything yesterday on a walk, my friends little staffy has just had a bout of gastroenteritis.
Pls let us know how Jake is hun xxxx

Jake is a 9 yr old springer spaniel and is the loveliest dog you could ever wish to meet.

Last night, he started trembling and panting really strangely. He wouldnt touch his food or water, wouldnt go for a walk, or go out in the garden for a wee.

This morning, I came downstairs to wee and poo everywhere - sorry for tmi but this is so very unlike him. He has never messed in the house since he was a tiny puppy.

He's really lethargic, still a bit shaky, and panting occasionally. He has laid in the same spot all day long and I cant persuade him to move for food or drink or even a cuddle. His eyes are all red too and his breath stinks.

Neil is going to take him to the vets when he gets home from work ( I cant manage him myself being only 4 weeks post op) but I'm really really worried.

Sam

I take it as you have not responded to the replies yet you must have gone to the vets or tending to your dog.

I just wanted to say...that although you are waiting for your hubby to get home to take him...it would be ok to talk to the vet over the phone...who should then be able to tell you what to do in the interim period.

I do hope your dog is ok...hopefully it's just a doggy flu virus and will feel better in a day or so...

So sending him lots of get well wishes...(poor thing)

(((hugs)))

I hope Jake is feeling better Sam

I have a cocker who will eat anything:sigh:

Is it possible he has got hold of chocolate, I know my other dog got hold of a tin of roses once and she shook for days!

Try Jake with ice cubes if you cant get him to eat or drink.

Dylan (the cocker) recently was very ill with a urinary tract infection and he displayed uncharacteristic toileting behaviours which thankfully he hasnt done since. He peed up my leg....S'ok you can laugh at that were both recovered :)

But seriously though, you do need to get him to the vets if just for peace of mind.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Xx

Oooh and if you can, get a stool and urine sample to take with you.

To take the urine sample easily you will need a syringe or pippette when he has peed, draw some up from the floor into the syringe then decant into a pee pot. Just make sure it is sterilised with boiling water beforehand (the pot).This will help the vet :)

Hope he's ok hun x:(

Hi Sam, if he is a bin raider it could be something he's eaten - as most dogs have stomachs made of Teflon I think you should get him to vets ASAP. It could be a virus but if his behaviour is so very markedly different he clearly has something quite fast acting. Are there any slug pellets around?
One of my dogs chewed the remnants of a spot-on flea killer (thieved it from bin) and had a bad time with that.
Rule of thumb is, if he aint eating when generally a gannet. Get him to the vet.

Hope you are ok Sam, it is so worrying when our pets get ill. If only they could talk.

Very best wishes
Jen x

hope hes ok . hugs xxx

Hi, Sam,
I'm wondering if he has had a stroke.
It sounds like the symptoms my golden retriever had.
Don't know if you already have, but I would contact the vet for advice.
Hope everything is ok xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi I had a springer,Jess who was about that age and started with similar symptoms.He had a liver problem.Only the vet will be able to give a definitive answer though.Hope hes ok,gosh there must be somethingin the water all the pets being ill!

I really hope he's okay Sam. Now we've got our little Truffle, I can't imagine how scared I'd be. I feel much more knowledgeable about cats. The vet will have hopefully sorted him out by now.

Back