• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T Scared and upset about OH. Long post, sorry.

Boblatina

Dear all, please look away now if you are a bit on the squeamish side

Need to rant and/or have a bit of a moan about the latest disaster that has happened in my life.

OH was admitted for emergency surgery a couple of Saturdays ago after he collapsed with an "incarcarated" hernia (just one step down from full strangulation) It was a big drama because he managed to collapse about as far away from home as he could and still be in London so I had lots of trips out to darkest North West London (about 2 hours each way :eek:) in order to see him.

He came home on the Monday and was doing very well until Friday when we noticed that part of his scar was leaking what looked like blood.

After much persuasion by me he went to A+E on Friday and was told that it was just serous matter and the wound was redressed and he was discharged.

It got worse and worse over the weekend and I was getting it in the neck for "nagging" him to go back to the hospital because he "had an appointment with the GP's surgery nurse on Tuesday for redressing and that was fine thank you"

Went to work yesterday and when I came home (early, I must have known) I could SMELL him as soon as I walked in the front door - it was so bad that I actually vomited (and I have go a really strong stomach).

Even though it was so bad I still had to use all my strength to persuade him to go to A+E again but I finally got him to get in the car so I could take him down to Kings College (with the window open:rolleyes:)

Thank God I did. They were shocked. He has a MASSIVE infection (well, no s*** Sherlock :rolleyes:) and had to be admitted, put on massive doses of IV antibiotics and is having to be re-operated on to excise the wound, re-fix the hernia and he will probably lose some bowel and part of his gut.

I am SO worried and, to be honest, SO ANGRY. Angry with the original surgeon (there have been other problems like insufficient stitching we had when he was recovering), angry with the 2nd A+E for fobbing him off like they did (even I know that serous fluid does not look like what was coming from his wound and I am not a Dr!), angry with HIM because he wouldn't go to the Dr sooner which may have resulted in serious and dangerous additional surgery and mostly angry with MYSELF because I couldn't get him to go until he smelt like a WW1 casualty with gangrene :rolleyes:

Horrible day and I am waiting on him coming back from surgery.

There is one element of irony in all this though - his surgeon is Ms Chang who is my bariatric surgeon and he has already told her that I will be coming back in to do some quality control checks on her handiwork when I am back tonight :rolleyes: (Hope she takesthat the right way)

Please can everyone keep their fingers crossed for OH.

Thanks for putting up with this long rant.

love

TillyBob

I hope by venting this out it makes it a little easier for yourself.

It's been a terrible time for you but hopefully will get better and better from now on.

Fingers and everything crossed for your OH xx

wow you are having a right time of it at the moment, Dont blame yourself for anything though, men are stubborn creatures and a breed unto themselves. :rolleyes:

Hope he recovers and puts your bariatric surgeon on her toes lol. Fingers crossed and best wishes for you both :D

Hi TILLYBOB
OMG you are having a hellish time of it, please don't blame yourself in any way its well known that men don't do hospitals or doctors very well and you couldn't have got him there in any way. I hope they rectify all the problems for your OH and please let us know how he gets on. Stay strong, sending you a big hug to help you along the way and to wish your hubby a speedy recovery xx

Thanks people - you are right, I needed to have a quick vent to get this off my chest.

Will be going in to see him later today when he is out of surgery and he has come round - pointless me hanging around while he is still under the knife.

Will let you know what happens (and if I like Ms Chang's needlework too! )

love

TillyBob

You cant blame yourself - you had faith in what you were told by the medics and also a husband who was pretending all was well. I would make a formal complaint if I were you - sounds like you have a case for legal action.

Thank goodness you are strong enough to push him into going! I can usually smell infection before I can see it too....I know the smell you are referring too well. I hope he heals quickly and you have an easier time of it.

Thats what they kept telling me.. Its just normal post op fluid and nothing to worry about. I'm glad you managed to get him there in the end and its being dealt with, hope he makes a quick recovery too.

Take it easy yourself.

(((Hugs)))

xx

Hi Tilly

I'm so sorry to hear this...but I am glad that you finally got him to A&E to get this sorted.
I had to laugh at the fact that he ended up with your surgeon, how sweet of him to go for the trail run for you!...Joke aside I wish him a speedy recovery from this.

It does seem like you guys need some questions answered regarding his initial operation and the A&E who just re-dressed him...they should have taken a swab at least...I hope you guys take up a serious complaint against both hospitals...things could quite easily have taken a worse turn...and even if your husband was a little on the stoic side, he took their word for it that he'd be fine and their diagnosis/assesment was correct ...Thankfully you didn't.

He is in the best hands right now...he'll be fine...Let us know how it all went...

(((hugs)))

Oh my gosh i am so sorry to hear what you and your other half have been through. Hope you both are ok soon!! :) xx

All the best to you and your hubby, I hope that he has a smooth surgery and a quick and painless (as much as possible) recovery xx
Steph xx

Sorry to hear about this. Hope he is on the mend soon

Irene xx

I hope your OH recovers quickly and is not away from you for too long!

Now see i think you can use this shoddy treatment to your advantage. Tell the chief exec you won't take it further if your name goes to the top of the waiting list for your surgery :)

Seriously, good luck to you all xx

Back