• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Obese Man Loses Court Battle

If he is so ill can't he just get a loan? I had to, I have two disabled boys so I can't work, my husnand works shifts and we have had to go without SO much to pay for my operation. Both our living and dining room carpets are getting HOLES in them, no holidays NOTHING so I can have this operation. It does seem crazy however that he's getting legal aid, as someone else said that money could have paid for his operation! How ridiculous and unbelievable this 'funding' stuff is!
xxxx sharon

If he is so ill can't he just get a loan? I had to, I have two disabled boys so I can't work, my husnand works shifts and we have had to go without SO much to pay for my operation. Both our living and dining room carpets are getting HOLES in them, no holidays NOTHING so I can have this operation. It does seem crazy however that he's getting legal aid, as someone else said that money could have paid for his operation! How ridiculous and unbelievable this 'funding' stuff is!
xxxx sharon

Maybe he can't get a loan.
Would you lend money to someone who is reported as dying?
The banks are making loans harder to get and probably wouldn't want to run the risk of him dying before its paid back.
Just a thought

lamornamiss said:
Maybe he can't get a loan.
Would you lend money to someone who is reported as dying?
The banks are making loans harder to get and probably wouldn't want to run the risk of him dying before its paid back.
Just a thought

I work for a bank, and I can't see him meeting any of our lending criteria.
Benefits don't class as a regular income, and like you say, his life expectancy wouldn't help.
If we did lend, and he then couldn't afford to pay, we'd be the irresponsible ones.

Oh yes, it wasn't a dig at anyone, it was just my 'musings'. Though my sister is on benefits (severely deaf) and was given a loan a few weeks ago. But I want to know why (I KNOW it isn't REAL but..old Judge John Deed would have done it, lol ;) ) the judge couldn't have thrown it out of court & stopped legal aid and have the operation paid for from that money!Though reading ealier posts I see why now. B**ger!
Shame on the post code 'lottery' we see boob jobs, not reductions but increasing sizes on the nhs! WTF? I'm stumped. I wonder if there is a fund for ex-police for 'exception circumstances' or if he has a pension/insurance or something? I hope he can get the weight off and get better, whatever he has to do.
xxx sharon

Last edited:
My PCT (Somerset) has just changed their criteria. I have spent two years getting my BMI down to 60 and losing 10 per cent of my weight only to be told that they have spent their WLS budget for this year and have dropped the criteria to 55 BMI.
I need both hips replaced and can't have it done until I reach 30 BMI. I have to wait for nexy year's budget in April to see what the criteria will be then.
I also agree more research needs to be done on obesity and with more knowledge maybe the help could be more effective than 'eat five a day, eat less and exercise more'.

My PCT (Somerset) has just changed their criteria. I have spent two years getting my BMI down to 60 and losing 10 per cent of my weight only to be told that they have spent their WLS budget for this year and have dropped the criteria to 55 BMI.
I need both hips replaced and can't have it done until I reach 30 BMI. I have to wait for nexy year's budget in April to see what the criteria will be then.
I also agree more research needs to be done on obesity and with more knowledge maybe the help could be more effective than 'eat five a day, eat less and exercise more'.

Madness ! xx

Back