• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Obese pooch!

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
Baxter the boxer doesn't know it yet but his days are numbered when it comes to treats and leftovers.
His new diet starts on 1st Jan and he needs to lose one and a half stone to get him to the normal weight range for a boxer dog.

When I took him for his check up in april the vet told me off about his weight but I've failed miserably in getting a single pound off him since. He has benefitted greatly from my reduced stomach size and gets a lot of leftover sandwiches, chicken dinners, pasta etc. He has the most expressive puppy dog eyes and can do a brilliant impression of a starving mutt. He also barks at me until I give in and feed him and I've been giving him treats just to have a quiet life.

So a new diet with no treats will not only be good for Baxter's waistline, but also for re-establishing who is the boss in this house, because it certainly isn't me at the moment lol.

I wondered have any other post oppers here been guilty of overfeeding their pets to compensate for not being able to eat themselves?

:D :) yep I am guilty of that too and Moss our springer spaniel refuses nothing that is edible. He too does not realise that his days of extra titbits are numbered. He will feast on New Year's Day and then he too joins the ranks with us dieters. :D

I would guess that this is a very common problem! We have always 'treated' ourselves with goodies so we naturally go on to show love by likewise 'treating' our beloved pets. They have, after all, loved us unconditionally since the day we brought them home. My very ill brother lost his adored Persian cat, Tara, months back. He grieved and wept for a long time, missing her desperately. No cat could ever replace her; he could not betray her by getting another pet, etc.

Thankfully he recently bought two little farm-born sister kittens (my hints to offer a safe and loving home to other helpless felines finally worked!). He could not bear to separate them, and now loves having them around. However I know that he over-feeds them, particularly in regard to treats and tidbits. This worries me and I have 'casually' commented here and there that he needs to keep a watchful eye on their weight gain. An overfed, too-plump cat, I 'casually' remind him, is an unfit and unhappy cat; cats need to jump high, squeeze through tiny gaps, etc. He is well aware of all this, of course!

Gorgeous pedigree Tara was a naturally fussy and spare eater. These little gals love their food, particularly the older by a few minutes, who eats just about anything put in front of her, and in quantity! My bro needs to stop the tidbits, but like me he is a total softy inside and he loves to make them happy.

You are wise to have made up your mind to tackle the problem. Your pet may not appreciate the reduced amount of goodies, but I've seen very hefty dogs and cats on TV whose lives were turned around - and perhaps saved - by reduced calorie food, extra cooked vegetables, and owner determination not to weaken when it comes to treats.

Good luck!

Last edited:
How is your pooch doing on his new diet? Bless him, I wouldn't be able to say no to those puppy dog eyes lol

It's really hard to put animals on a diet or healthy food plan as they can make us feel so guilty but it's so important for their health. I think we often forget that the difference in what caloric significance for human food has for them. A few crisps to a cat is like eating a cheeseburger. I know I've been guilty of these treats with my dog in the past but now she is on a prescription diet for her arthritis so isn't allowed anything other than her meals or it interrupts how the diet works. It's hard when they stand drooling by you when all you are doing is cooking chicken and the poor thing can't have any. My doggie is within a healthy range but because of the arthritis we need to get her down a bit so it's better for her joints. It's tough not to humanise them and feel like they are missing out. Hope you are doing well with your baby, once the treats stop he will soon get use to it and will appreciate how active and healthy he feels. Fingers crossed for you both :)

I wish you luck, if your dog is anything like mine he searches for food all day every day, you wouldnt think he was fed at all the way he acts.. he has been on his diet for the past 2 year and has lost over 2 stone. he still has fat pockets on his body, but is so much closer to his weight goal.. I am trying to do it steadily as he is 11 years old and I still want him to get treats now and them like our younger dog, I wish you luck :)

Within a minute of feeding my lab, he comes up to me with his big chocolate brown eyes, acting like he has never been fed in his life. They are very michievious! Just like myself! :)

Hope the doggy diet is going well!

Back