• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OK girls in a delema and need some input

ladylite

Well I went to look round a gym today and am not sure whether to join or not. My delema is, I am losing weight really well between 1.5 to 3lbs a week with no aerobic exercise. I do physical work everyday ie I muck out feed and look after up to 6 horses everyday which takes about 2 hours or more. I am a very busy person so fitting the gym in will be tight (here I go tight again..... LOL)

I am not sure whether to join the gym now, or wait till I stop losing or plateau, then I will know I have something up my sleeve to give my weightloss boost. As I said I am physically fit but not aerobically fit.

Here are some piccies of me B4 I went to the introduction. - Oh and yes I do have a wonky left shoulder caused by a riding accident. Oh and looking at these pictures I think it is now time I invest in some decent bras:D

mary23910001.jpg

mary23910005.jpg

mary23910006.jpg

mary23910004.jpg

Gosh I don't know what I'd do......Yes I do! I'd join a gym with pool, sauna and steam room so that it's actually relaxing and a bit of pampering. Sounds like with all that mucking out etc it would be a good idea!

And by the way, your photos are nothing short of stunning. You look simply amazing! Like a completely different woman!

and a question for you Mary- I'm 50, and a bit nervous of horses, but I've always fancied learning to ride. Is it still feasible at my age?

It's kind of on my 'bucket list for post-op life', as is learning to ice-skate, and possibly......hang-gliding!

Charis, if you want to ride, you do it. Make sure you go somewhere where the have good quiet horses to boost your confidence and then the worlds your limit.

I am thinking of starting when I get to 12 stone, the only thing here the horses are a bit more fiesty than the riding school types so I have to be careful.

Go for it Charis, live the dream, and if you dont enjoy/like at least you have tried.

PS I am 62 and geriatric horsewoman. he he.

i was going to say, no i wouldnt join a gym, the amount of exercise mucking out horses every day, is like a workout, and you do it without thinking, but after reading Charis' reply i would be inclined to agree with her, join one that has a sauna and pool and stuff, it feels amazing, just like your pics hun, you look ab fab!!
xx

LOL thanks Mary. How light do I need to be before subjecting myself on some poor unsuspecting horse? ~I wouldn't want the poor thing to faint as it saw me coming! LOL

We have a riding school very near where I live but I haven't dared enquire yet.

I would say about 16st, but when you call the riding school be honest and tell them how much you weigh so they give you the correct horse.

If you think men ride so they have to have animals for them.

Mind you you would be able to walk for a week after. :8855::8855:but it is very toning exercise one the best.

OOOOOOOO goody, I'm under 16 this week! I still can't believe that actually!

So riding will be good toning for my inner thighs?! :eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

Excellent news. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info Mary. xxxxxx

Yes they say riding is liking to sking you have to co-ordinate all your muscles together.

It is also great for the core muscles. Good luck and have fun.

You're looking so trim and fit and pretty Mary ! I agree with the others - I'm sure you're getting enough exercise with the horses but if you're worried about aerobic exercise, can you not invest the gym money in a cross trainer or something you can do at home ?

Mary you look F.A.B ...I agree about the gym, I dont think you need more exercise as such as you already have loads....... but the pool and the pampering sounds lush :D X

just wanted to say your pictures are brilliant,u look wonderful.
And Id say you sound as though your getting plenty of excercise mucking out horses etc xx

Join a gym that is going to pamper you! Some you are very lucky in and can get treatments etc as well....

Exercise wise i think you get enough! You are looking fab Mary, keep up the good work xx

Thank you for all your input and your lovely comments. It was very helpful and I think I have made a decision, but I can always change my mind.

At the mo, I do get quite nackered once I come in from the horses, and I wonder if I can drag myself off the sofa to go and have the sauna or swim etc. So I will keep it on hold for just a while longer, you never know that when winter hits us hard might want to do something in the dark evenings.

Another reason is it is £35 per month and the gym near us and you have to commit to 6 months so not 100% sure I will stick to it.

Once again, your input has been very helpful.

Charis perhaps I should take up riding, although I dont think that is truely aerobic exercise.

Hi Mary, you look great. Have you thought about other exercises like dancing, belly dancing etc. You could always go swimming at your local leisure centre which would cost less than joining a gym.

In my 20s I had riding lessons (now 50). I remember getting quite an aerobic excersise just trying to stay on the horse, doing the rising trot etc. Do you ride the horses as well as muck them out? I would love to ride again when I lose weight. I was never any good at it but I did love it.

Rebirth x

Thanks Rebirth, no I dont ride at the mo, the reason being is the horses on our yard are a bit more frisky than beginners ponies and I stop riding when I fell off and had an injury about 10 years ago.

Mind you if we do get one that seems quiet enough I will give it a go. I wasnt that good at it either, but it is a good form of outdoor exercise.

Mary you and me both . . I am going to ride again, one of the reasons for my surgery as I am going to the Calgary Stampede next year and then fancied a few days riding in the Rocky mountains. (Dont tell hubby I have spent some of the money on surgery tho . . will have to get another job to put the pennies back in the pot!)

Like you I muck out, lead in and out from the fields, hike miles at shows . . but I do slow down when I start to puff!! From now on I am going to make an effort to push myself a little more at that point rather than slow down.

Perhaps you should just treat yourself to a one off session at a spa occasionally (Donnington? or Nirvana in Reading is amazing) We shall have an evening out eh!!!

The evening out or a day at a spa sounds great.

Mel I have to say, once you are 100% fit, and please wait a full 6 weeks cause its worth it, you wont have to push yourself. It just seems to come naturally as the weight drops off you just do more and more and you dont even notice it.

My girls are loving it as I am so helpful now..... :cool:.

My motto used to be "I'm too old for this", it is now,
"I'll do it".

Your holiday sounds fab, any room in the suitcase, you never know by then I might even fit in it...... LOL xxxx

i just bit the bullet and emailed off to request a Gym induction lol
never thought i would ever hear myself say i wasjoining a gym!
But i figured i get free access through work so why not :eek:)

Back