• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ok here i am again

heva

ok here i am again hi all im bk after being away for several months because i could not face reading everyones success stories after my funding got refused. i went in to a very deep depression and was put on fluoxetine (prozac) after i was given the news that my pct wouldnt fund the op for me :( all after i had had 4 different appointments with different people which were all cancelled i then managed to get my gp to refer me to dr super at birmingham heartlands who said i was a perfect candidate for a band as my bmi is over 50 to then be told by the pct they wont fund it put me in a very bad situation and as i have said led to me being put on prozac and sleeping pills which i hated but because i found it so hard to continue with day to day life they were the only thing i had to help me thru. anyway im bk now and ready to tackle this situation again im off the tablets and more determined than ever so i need sum pointers please if anyone can help :)........ i have been diagnosed now with type 2 diabetes my bmi is over 50 i have an appointment with my gp on wednesday how should i go about getting him to refer me again do i need to apply for funding first before he refers me sorry for all the questions but this time i want to do everything right in the hope of being able to convince the gp and the pct that i am in need of this operation. i have checked the BOSPA website and it sates for my area NICE GUIDELINES CRITERIA does anyone actually know what this means i have looked everywhere for information but cannot find anything which actually tells me what this criteria is so i do not know if i meet this criteria... sorry for the long post and all the questions i hope someone may be able to help and would be grateful for any information ... thanks :)

Hiya

Neva give up Hun, I think someone posted the link for the guide lines but I may be wrong.... As I have read so much this week with being at home xxx

Hi

The BOSPA site is out of date so your area may have changed their criteria. I believe the NICE guidelines (which are ONLY guidelines) are BMI 35-39 with comorbidities or 40+ with or without comorbidities. In addition you have to have been following a weight management program (which can be Weight Watchers etc) fora recent 12 month period.

My PCT also insists that the GP must have been aware of/following your progress on the plan and have taken four BMI measurements in that 12 months.

Some PCTs want that weight management program to be an NHS dietician. Other PCTs have changed their criteria to a BMI of 55+.

Probably your best thing to do is ring your PCT for current criteria. If you fit then see your GP again. If your funding is turned down again, call BOSPA for advice on what action you can take to appeal.

Good luck with it all x

Can't really advise as not too familiar with the rules but wanted to wish you all the best with your journey hun. Don't give up xx

On the computer now so managed to look properly.

From the NICE website:
The NICE guidelines state that bariatric surgery should be offered to patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 35-40 who have other conditions caused by being overweight, such as diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea, those with a BMI of 40-50 with no other weight related conditions or those with a BMI of 50 and over, as a first-line treatment.

Welcome back sweetie! I hope you will stick around this time and hopefully whatever crops up we can help you through it x It's not all success stories! A lot of us have struggles at every stage and it's always helpful to get them out there and have some support and understanding from people who know how hard it is x
We have a lady saving up for her band and not able to get nhs funding but she is still definately one of us and hopefully being here is helping her whilst she's waiting x

I ended up going into debt for my band as even though I met the criteria my pct turned me down twice. My gp said it was madness as my diabetes medicine cost £1000 per month. It just depends how much money there is in the pot and who is more 'needy'. Fingers crossed but I would start saving just in case. I am poor for a year or so but it will be so worth it.

Good luck x

Heva i'm sorry to say this, but i'm glad you have the diabetes now to back up the need for your surgery... How blooming awful we wish comorbidities on people just so we can have not only 'life saving' but 'life changing' surgery...

Ring your local PALS office and ask them what the criteria is, if your happy to do it give them your stats and tell them about the diabetes and ask them to confirm you fit the criteria for surgery....

Oooh, being in Shrewsbury would they refer you to Telford Royal? Not long ago waiting times were really quick for Telford as they'd only just started doing surgery again...

Good Luck Heva. Hope your GP/PCT says yes this time round! I had a BMI of 54 and diabetes/high BP and Cholesterol - my GP didn't hesitate to put me forward for the op when I raised it with him!

PCTs are all different unfortunately and only have finite resources so some don't fund the surgery, or they set the criteria so high - even for those with comorbids - that people either can't reach them or have to put on even more weight before they are considered.

Hi Heva .. Blimey , you have been through the mill havent you , it must have been so stressful for you. Im very pleased you have come back to the site, i have found the members so helpful,supportive, empathic ... and very bloomin nice ! I must admit to being rather green with envy when i read the success stories.... and i just hope/pray that one day someone will be green over me (in a nice way )... we ae all part of the same book , just on different pages ... please keep in touch xxxx

Back