• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lurking newbie!

Poppy

Hi, thought I would introduce myself, have gained so much practical knowledge as well as sharing in your stories so far.

I approached my gp about the possiblity of having a gastric band, my weight was 316 pounds and I suffer from a non weight related disability which is neurological. I did my homework, rang out local PCT in Oxford and discussed the criteria for the op - they only fund 15 a year. I also have a 15 year old daughter who has special needs and is violent. and I am having real trouble in physically coping with her.

So went to my GP she said she would support my request and refer me to the PCT, she wanted first to do a blood screening and to my horror I was diagnosed with diabetes - should'nt have been so shocked with my weight as high
but I was devestated.

My diabetes is now responding, but my gp does'nt want to refer me until it is within normal range.

Just wondered if anyone else had any advice/support they could offer.

thanks
Deb

Hello & welcome out of lurkerdom. I have diabetes which is controlled by metformin. After my gastric bypass in October I think my diabetes is resolved & I should be able to stop taking metformin (I have already cut my dose in half).

Here are some articles that may be of interest about gastric bypass as treatment for type 2 diabetes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/03/AR2008050301837.html

Role of Gastric Bypass in the Treatment of Diabetes from MedicineNet.com

Also here is a statistic you might want to tell your doc:

Type II diabetes –
80-85% of patients will have either complete resolution of their diabetes or marked improvement in diabetic control after RNY Gastric Bypass.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Nic;)

Last edited:
hi hun and welcome ....... i do know that people with diabetes they like to bypass .. as the band does not take much effect on it .. where as bypass helps cure it ...

so good luck with it all xxxx

Brett that is not entirely true, I have type 2 diabetes and since my band, mine has been in the "very normal" range.

And diabetes cannot be cured, it can only be controlled. Once you are diabetic you always are. A bypass will only hold symptons at bay, if you were to return to a sugary diet, the diabetes would return.

Once your pancreas, the little critter that controls your insulin packs up, thats it. That cannot be reversed.

sorry i cant help, but just wanted to welcome you to minis

liz x

Hi wanted to say welcome.
Sorry dont know about the diabetes side, I take metformin but for insulin res PCOS so cant offer any advice
Good luck and enjoy the site

Ali

Hi and welcome to mini's good luck with your application, the bypass certainly can help the diabetes, and is yet another comorbidity that will aid you towards getting the bypass, hang in there and get it stabalised then pressurise your GP into applying and including your own letter/statement with it to provide evidence of why you need the bypass

thanks for making me feel so welcome and for your advice and support, will be lurking no more!!

Deb;)

Back