• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Referal problem!

Lola K

Some advice needed please... I am shaking with anger!!! - what shall I do?

My GP referred me to a 'lifestyle change' clinic and I have been attending for the past couple of months - they are now satisfied that I would benefit from surgery and have agrred to refer me to the PCT. I have just been back to see my GP who is still refusing to refer me!!!

Do I need my GP's referal? what else can I do? - I have attended this lifestyle clinic, and now they agree, but the GP is saying no?? why then did he refer me to the clinic in the first instance? - considering my BMI is over 50, I thought I would be an ideal candidate for a referal??

Any ideas???

Im sorry your having problems. Im not sure if it changes from area to area but my gp had to refer me (sadly cos she messed everything up by being useless!). Get the number for your PCT and phone them direct for some advice, the woman at my PCT was lovely and she healped me loads.
Good Luck and try and calm down x

Thanks Jacqui, I will speak to the lifestyle clinic at my next appointment.... I was so excited - as they said, with their referal I am almost guarenteed funding! - I am thinking of complaining about my GP.... I said I had been trying to lose weight... his reply 'Don't try... JUST DO IT!' what kind of response is that???

OMG, they can be so annoying! You should seriously consider changing gp's if his opinion is like that. You would think that a doctor would understand better than anyone.
I hope you get sorted, just dont give up. x

I was sent on a weight loss management course for a year before they would consider referring me, it was the dietician at that course clinic that actually referred me on, my GP obviously had to fill his part of the form in but it wasnt down to him to refer me, it was the course people, ask yours, it may well be them.
Steph xx

Thanks guys... I have written a complaint to the head of my practice.... some of the things my GP said I think were a disgrace... for instance 'the threat of diabetes should be enough to force me to lose weight without outside resources' .... dont 'try' to lose weight,,,, JUST DO IT! - I am still in total disbelief at what he said!!! - how dare he? it was 28 years ago that I first visited a doctor about my weight,,,, and he has the cheek to say that to me?? - I will have high blood pressure at this rate!! hahaha

I will have a word with my lady at the clinic, she has said she will refer me, so - she has also said that with her referal, I am almost guaranteed of funding! - lets hope so aye? ;-):):):)

Good luck i hope your gp has a well deserved kick up the jacksey. here's to you getting your referral and been on the losers bench real soon xx

Lola Your GP sounds like a bit of a p**** Write a letter to your local medical council, If you really want to have a dig at him cc the letter to him and his boss. The down side of this is he could strike you off his list

Lola, I had a few problems with my Gp and to be honest I just changed surgeries, im in kent and the Guy at the Kent PCT is an absolute Gem;) Pm me if you want some info Ellie xxx

Is there only one GP at your practice - ask to see another GP if there is - I saw several different GPs at my practice about it (impossible to get the same one most times) and some were willing to refer and others not so depends on who you see. I find that the younger doctors are more acceptable to surgical intervention whereas the older ones are more stuck in the past.

Hi Lola,

I have had a similar problem, I was referred to a weight loss programme for 3 months (this was the length of the programme) by my GP. He referred me because I asked him to help me as I was in such a state, he actually said that I was an ideal candidate for WLS as my BMI is over 50 but that I would need to try this course first.

After attending the course and going back to my GP, he has now told me he wont refer me until I have taken diet pills for a year.

I am in West Sussex so its not just your area, I thinks its down to the Docs and what they believe.

I wrote to my PCT the other week and in the reply was told that I should go back and insist on a referral or change GP's................in process of changing GP now.

I hope you get something sorted xxx

I wasn't referred by my GP for wls. They referred me to the hospital for sleep apnoea and it was the doctor in the sleep clinic that referred me to the bariatric department. Good luck xx

Back